• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Rest

PearlWhiteGT

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
Looking to purchase myself a good reliable rifle shooting rest mainly to use for sighting in my rifles. I've used sandbags before and they do the job but would like to have something that I can just grab and go. For you guys who use a shooting rest what would you recommend? I'd be using it on a small portable folding table.

I bought one of these for load testing

And one of these: https://www.natchezss.com/rabbit-ear-rear-bag-wheavy-bttm-pn13a

I did add 1/2 plywood to the base of the rear bag. So buy the best size for your setup.

I hate shooting from a bench but wanted to get “me” out of the equation as much as possible. We have concrete benches and this is a rock solid setup that allows for natural recoil. I make sure the front slides free.

Reactions: XLR308
Are you looking for a fully adjustable like a bench rest set up with elevation, windage, and adjustable forend stop or something more basic but still solid ?
I have the Sinclair Heavy Varmint front rest and they are nice but a boat anchor and it doesnt get used all that much anymore for that reason.
With some practice i have found i can pretty much match the results off of a bipod with a rear bag or support hand it just takes more focus on fundamentals.

If your small folding table is not rock steady it won't matter what rest you use.
Good point, when i do actually use the front rest its off of a concrete bench.
The majority of the time i use just a bibod and bag its prone but do shoot from a bench with it as well but its a solid bench.

Looking for something more basic but a solid set up.
I have seen the caldwell rest here and there at numerous ranges, they seem like a solid option and less spendy.
This one, the next step down comes with a rear bag but the construction seems a bit anemic for the purpose.

How is a sandbag not grab and go?
My rear bag is dated but effective, yes it is actually filled with sand and i have one i made that is filled with airsoft pellets that is very effective.
Curious if all the newer stuff is filled with a lighter synthetic material or sand as i havent found a need to replace.
Am i missing out, are the new bags that much better ?