• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Steel Case in Match AR10

yakmastermax

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2019
Albuquerque NM
Howdy!

I have an AR10 build with a Faxon Heavy Fluted Match 308 barrel and matched Faxon bolt that shoots awesome. It is a 1/2 MOA 5 shot capable gun with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain 308. It is a match 308 chamber.

I prefer to ONLY shoot 168 grain FGMM through it as my thoughts are that appears to be the round that "locks up" tightest with the chamber and bolt combo, but perhaps I'm just making this up in my head.

Would shooting steel cased 308 ammo potentially degrade the accuracy of my rifle or "open" up the match chamber and bolt spec that is giving me the great precision that I'm currently getting with 168 grain FGMM?

Basically, can shooting steel cased 308 ammo mess up a match chamber and bolt combo?

Also on that note, anyone have any experience with the Hornady 155 grain steel 308 match ammo?

Attachments

• 20190720_201706.jpg
    20190720_201706.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC04054.JPG
    DSC04054.JPG
    537.7 KB · Views: 71
Steel cased ammo is hard on guns and the only reason to use it is if it's all you have. There is a reason that brass is used for most cases and the only reason that steel is used is the lower cost. I don't use nor would I recommend steel cases in any quality rifle or handgun.

Reactions: sinister
Honestly my main concern with steel cased ammo in a .308 Large frame AR is that a steel case doesn't contract as "quickly" from the chamber walls as a brass case.
And for the most part, most 308's are already "hard" on the extraction part of the firing cycle... so if the fired case is being sticky while trying to yank the case out of the chamber, that ain't gonna help.

So make sure your chamber is smooth as well.

I would not worry about it.. now a full diet and thousands of rounds could cause wear before brass would.