• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Shooting sticks

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I'm looking for a good pair of shooting sticks or a single stick with a rest for my rifle. It's not so much that I need it for taking a steady shot as much as it is for having my rifle in position before the shot to cut down on movement. I hate having to move once a coyote pops up. I have a wally world special shooting stick but it's awkward/loud and doesn't hold in it's extended position. I've mainly turned to unconventional shooting positions using my body as a rest but I've found it kind of limits my mobility and I have to move more to scan an area.

My main gripe is that i don't need extra crap dangling off me while I walk into the field. I'd really like something streamlined and light that i could stow on the way into the field and then deploy once on set. I was thinking if i could store it in a sheath that when on top of my spine then it wouldn't bang around or inhibit movement.

I'm sure many of you have dealt with this issue and I figured i'd draw on your wisdom. I used search function to no avail...

Re: Shooting sticks

Stoney Point sticks are great. They have a model that adjusts all the way from seated height to tall enough if you need to stand. I wouldn't be without them.

For lightweight yet steady when needed I like the Stoney Point collapsable sticks.

Go to HomeD, Lowes etc, get 2pcs 1/2" dia 36" long walnut dowels, drill a 1/8" hole about 6" from the top through the sides, run a long 1/8" bolt through it w/wingnut, run elect tape around the tops of each rod to the jont, drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom of each rod, clip a #8 nail off, insert into hole, hot glue in...BAM you have a set of great shooting sticks for about $4-$5.

Or...

i27uu-225.jpg

Go into your back yard and cut a couple of pieces of fairly straight willow branches. Drill hole in one end and attach the twain together with surplus parachute cord and wrap gaffers tape around the ends where the rifle will sit and, viola, shooting sticks that work well for maybe 50 cents.

I have a set of wood ones that are nice, however the ones showing all the use and field abuse are my Stoney Point sticks.

I have both the 2 piece and three piece models. When I don't worry about going light weight, the 2 piece model is the one I take because it is just more stable than the 3 piece one.

With the 2 piece, you do give up some ability to make them shorter for sitting or kneeling use, but the stability makes up for it.

The 3 piece is easier to make smaller for field carry and packing or when I take then on the airlines, they get shorter and fit nicely into my half size Tuff Pak hard case with my take down rifles.

The stoney point also can be used as a 3 leg or 2 leg shooting stick. It's easy to take off the 3rd leg and leave it behind.

This is my Stoney Point Polecat monopod type telescoping shooting stick.Very handy.

IMG_0066.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For lightweight yet steady when needed I like the Stoney Point collapsable sticks. </div></div>

Exactly what I use as well.

I use a pair of fiberglass poles that are used for electric fences. A few casterating bands 6" from the top and you have a set of steady sticks. Or another product that works very well is made by snipepod. They are calapsable sticks. Very nice.
Xdeano

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xdeano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a pair of fiberglass poles that are used for electric fences. A few casterating bands 6" from the top and you have a set of steady sticks. Or another product that works very well is made by snipepod. They are calapsable sticks. Very nice.
Xdeano </div></div>

I made the same thing. I epoxied some dull-ish 16 penny nails to the bottom as 90% of my shots are from grass. Works like a charm.

Then...I found someone's Stony Points just sitting WAY off the road, had been there for a long time. I use these now but often glance at my home made set on the way out the door. The Stoney's are just lighter and more compact.