• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Shooting suppressed around neighbors

Jackomason

Poop-smith aka "Turd Herder"
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
Well I've just about got my can in hand and I've gotten to thinking again about the freedoms and capabilities it'll bring.

There is some property on the edge of an HOA that I'd like to shoot on once I get my dominus. The closest neighbors are approximately 200+ yards away in the opposite direction of fire, of course. How well will the supressor mask the shot from neighbors in the area? Is it really as polite as I'd like to think? Will I have screaming libs ruining my day?

If the area is open field and your shooting 200 yards in the opposite direction you won’t have any issues

If there’s a barricade, building or tree line in front of you it will echo the supersonic crack back at you. Which will sound like a .22 pistol going off.

More likely to have libs ruining your day when they see that death can on your rifle and panic

6 years ago, when I moved here, there were 4 registered democrats in the county. It's gone up and you never know where they're hiding... but I can assure you, they are the crazy type.
Is there a noise ordnance in place there? That could play a part in what they can accomplish by complaining

Is there a noise ordnance in place there? That could play a part in what they can accomplish by complaining
Yeah I was just reading the ordinances and they seem pretty vague but there is a line speaking of "obnoxious activities" what ever that means..

But I guess that's why I ask. Hoping I could fly under their radar. My father in-law is getting the land. I've got other places to shoot I just don't like constantly asking for permission.

I would do a little digging into the laws for the area and HOA even contacting local law enforcement. Because by you knowing all the laws when Karen calls the police or comes to tell you to stop you can politely tell her to fuck right off and mind her business or move back to California. Throw in a let's go Brandon at the end.

Reactions: FuhQ and hafejd30
The neighbors will definitely be able to hear you and know you are shooting. What it won't be is some insane boom that would startle people out of their seats and send the dogs into panic mode.

In other words it won't be silent but it will definitely be a lot nicer. If they are to your back that's even better as the sonic crack is louder than the boom and all of that will be traveling away.

Reactions: FuhQ
I don’t think the HOA would have any power over you. Likely the only law you have to contend with is shooting near a dwelling. What’s that rule in your state?

Reactions: 308pirate
If you're shooting subs, they aren't likely to hear anything that they would suspect as shooting. I shoot suppressed all the time, and my neighbors are about 75 yards away on either side of me, and when i'm shooting either the .45 or 9 pistol, they don't hear anything unless I hit steel. The bolt guns they usually think someone is shooting something like a 17hmr, or a 22mag, but can't hear it inside their homes.

My state only has laws on the misuse of firearms, it's the county that has regulations on lawful use. I have to have permission from the owner of any habitable dwelling within' 150 yards of where i'm shooting. Fortunately everyone is cool with it, even the occasional test fire of machine guns unsuppressed. For you, I would check the owner of the property you want to shoot on, then check the county, and someone else commented that it appears the state is fine with it.

If you get a screaming lib, remain calm, despite the deep desire to punch them in the face...no matter how much they deserve it. In this day and age, i'd immediately start to record them to cover your ass cause you know those lyin' fuckers will make some shit up to get you arrested. As long as you are being safe, and aren't breaking the law at all, the police aren't going to hassle you about it.

Make a mental note where they live, when shit goes down, you know they'll be an easy source of supplies. lol.

Branden

Reactions: Jackomason
When shooting subs the neighbors may not identify the noise as gunfire, but the repetition of 10-15 round mag dumps may be what draws the attention.

Check your local ordnance to see how far you have to be from the nearest residence. Here in my neck of the woods, it is 500ft from the firing point to the closest residence

Last thing you want is the cops showing up because Karen got miffed. If you get arrested they are gonna seize your gun and can. It will take a year or more to get thru the system and when it’s over….even if you win, you may run into problems getting your property back. (Retired cop-I know how the system works and how one liberal gun hating judge can fuck up your life) we had a law that said seized guns were to be sold and the money goes to the schoolboard…local judge would hand write orders of destruction for guns by serial number …no one ever tried to argue with him and show him the law itself.

research if it’s legal to shoot from x amount of distance from an occupied residence, see if it’s legal to target practice on your property, call the local cops/sheriff and ask. After waiting a long time and a $200 tax stamp and the cost of the can you might want to not get arrested and lose your gun rights….

Last thing you want is the cops showing up because Karen got miffed. If you get arrested they are gonna seize your gun and can. It will take a year or more to get thru the system and when it’s over….even if you win, you may run into problems getting your property back. (Retired cop-I know how the system works and how one liberal gun hating judge can fuck up your life) we had a law that said seized guns were to be sold and the money goes to the schoolboard…local judge would hand write orders of destruction for guns by serial number …no one ever tried to argue with him and show him the law itself.

research if it’s legal to shoot from x amount of distance from an occupied residence, see if it’s legal to target practice on your property, call the local cops/sheriff and ask. After waiting a long time and a $200 tax stamp and the cost of the can you might want to not get arrested and lose your gun rights….
All good thoughts. I work across from the sherrifs office and we talk guns and NFA items all the time. They are very opposed to taking guns. But yes, I'll talk to them and do some more research.

The land is 17 acres shooting into a mountain with mining refines set up as a perfect berm.

Also there was a dude shooting a 22 short in town at some Prarie dogs. There are houses and business all around the open lot. Someone called the sherrifs and they told him he was allowed to but it was a stupid idea. Weird place I live.

Is the land part of the hoa or just near it?

As long as you aren't breaking any laws fuck em. Especially if the land isn't even part of the HOA.

Is the land part of the hoa or just near it?

As long as you aren't breaking any laws fuck em. Especially if the land isn't even part of the HOA.
Looking at the contract it's kinda unclear. Not an actual HOA if it is. But the realtor seems to think it's not part of anything. But it's right on the edge.

I shoot on property on the other side of the same HOA. Can't remember a time someone didn't pull over to hear the steal ring. But that land has a much different surrounding area.

Wife works for local health department. Doesn't deal with gun sounds cause they're not allowed in city limits. Whenever they have a noise complaint they take out db meters and measure at the property line. If it's less than the limit at the property line perfectly fine. You might or might not have noise ordinances on the books in your area though.

That's the entire point of me buying a 300 blackout. I can shoot behind my house, and my neighbors who are 40 yards away don't know.

That's the entire point of me buying a 300 blackout. I can shoot behind my house, and my neighbors who are 40 yards away don't know.
My 300BO makes all it's noise out of the ejection port, and it's probably twice as loud as my 9mm Scorpion.

My house is on the SW corner of town, so town is to my North and East, my neighbors are 50 yards away, I shoot without a can, my EDC 9mm and my 500 S&W.

I built a shooting house with foam put up in it, measured at closest point to shooting house one could be without trespassing one DB meter measured at 84db, another at 96db.

Chainsaw will be 120db, blow dryer is noted as generally being 100db, alarm clock 80db etc... so I believe I should be great.

A few years back they called the police on me and three different law enforcement agencies showed up, they left with noting I was safe and legal, and I haven't had any back since.

Most of the time I feel like the ring of the steel targets is worse than the shot. Now I shoot every so often but I'm not out running mag dumps without specific cause (like testing a new mag for carry), so not only did I build the shooting house to be respectful, but my shooting is also kept "reasonable."

They have no more cause to complain about me than someone running a chainsaw, the snowmobilers, the people running four wheelers and UTVs, especially the ones with jacked up exhaust, and so on.

My elk calls are actually louder, wouldn't doubt that a dog bard would be as well.

We don't have a noise ordinance here, even if we did I can't imagine I'd have any trouble whatsoever, as I shoot in the middle of the day, again, to be respectful as I can be.

The HOA may make your life a living hell whether they have legal cause to do so or not, and if so, you'll end up needing a lawyer unless you want to do hundreds of hours of deep diving into law and precedent and procedure to combat their endless Karens with nothing else to do.

But, maybe they wont.

LOL..........how about look up the law yourself

50/50 chance those fuckwits don't know and will tell you "no" by default to hide their ignorance

I spoke with multiple DNR officers, multiple police departments, finally got to the one that had authority, they took my specific address, called me back a bit later and said it should be fine, just may want to talk to the local city to make sure. So I called a city Counselman and spoke with him.

Every step along the way I asked each if they could think of any reason it would be an issue and didn't get anything interesting, noise ordinance, danger to public etc... normal stuff I pointed out wouldn't be an issue, but that's about all anyone could think of in the moment anyway.

So ultimately, I knew I was OK when I started, still, when three different law enforcement agencies showed up, I was a bit worried, but again, it worked out OK, had I had that conversation recorded I would've had a hell of a lawsuit for the threats that were tried on me by one cop, but his buddy got him off me and they all left without incident.

So, I wouldn't dismiss asking the authorities outright, and learning all the law by yourself, along with precedent, different zoning or whatever issues they could throw at you, would be extremely difficult. Because if you don't know all of the zoning code and they throw something false at you from it, you won't know it's false, and if you're an honest person you'll likely cede the point, at least until you look it up and research it, if you can. And this would work from any angle, oh, you are 1 mile from a school so you can't discharge a firearm, again, if you don't know the law or the precedent, that may sound reasonable and until you know otherwise it provides another barrier.

Then there's always the threat of disturbing the peace, possibly endangering the public, whatever else could be thrown at a guy. Without a good lawyer, it can be tough, you can also get lucky and it can go away.

I was threatened with bullshit law, I noted what I knew about that law and that it didn't apply and here's why, I was told, "we don't care we're sending people to court over it anyway," and at that point, there really isn't an argument, that's clear abuse of power, and an honest judge would bust that officer's balls if that's true... they don't like their time wasted.

Again, I said my peace and what I knew, he got animated enough that his fellow officer yelling for him, trying to pull his attention, wasn't working, one of the other law enforcement agents just had his head hanging down shaking side to side, as if to say, "what have I gotten myself into."

Then the third agency was walking around smelling the roses like they were on their own property playing with their kids.

4 different vehicles as well, all for an "anonymous report that shots were fired," as if it wasn't normal out here in the country...

His buddy officer had to physically come over and "calm" him.

Anyways, the officers that show up after the fact, may be a bunch of fuds with one and only one thing on their mind, talk to them beforehand, and you may have some better luck being pre-emptive.

If you can afford a lawyer, that's an obvious route and smart.