• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes shooting w. eyes open

i5939

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
florida
is shooting with both eyes open a good or bad technique to start. i like doing it so i can see around and whats happening but if it is impropper for some reason or other please let me know.

Re: shooting w. eyes open

Much better than shooting with eyes closed..........easier to hit your target..lol...I personally like to shoot with both eyes open for the simple reason i use a level mounted on my rail.

I always shoot with both eyes open. Shooting with one eye closed gives me a headache after a while.

Shooting with both eyes open in all shooting disciplines is preferable.

I am right handed, and left eye dominant, it is hard for me to attemt to close my left eye while looking thru optics with my right eye, so it is natural for me to shoot with both eyes open. Shooting pistols or anything with open sights, thats a whole different story......

Kirk R

Had a shooter at today's match learn another good reason: its hard to transition to/from support side shooting if you've been focusing with one eye through the scope and the other closed for any length of time-when you try to switch the one that's been closed is usually blurry for a short time until it readjusts. This doesn't happen the same way when you keep both open (even if you almost close the "off" eye and are not consciously looking through it.

I often spend most of a day behind a spotting scope. Keeping both eyes open is the only way I can do that, because it not only allows me to avoid the inevitable eye strain which results from having one eye closed and one open, it allows me to switch back and forth between eyes.

It may take some time to get used to, but shooting with both eyes open makes great sense, whether one is shooting pistols or rifles with either iron sights or an optic.

Shooting with both eyes open is definitely preferable. It may take some getting used to but it's worth it. If you have trouble, here's a trick you can use:
If you have a flip-up lens cover on your occular lens, turn it so that it so that the cover opens sideways, (from 3:00 to 9:00 position) Then, when youre looking through your scope, the cover will be in front of your left eye, like a built-in "blinder". This should make it easier until you get comfortable. Eventually, it will become second nature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am right handed, and left eye dominant, it is hard for me to attemt to close my left eye while looking thru optics with my right eye, so it is natural for me to shoot with both eyes open. Shooting pistols or anything with open sights, thats a whole different story......

Kirk R </div></div>
Same here.

Scoped rifle I can't shoot with both eyes. Irons or EOTec/Aimpoint both open

My astigmatism helps me shoot with both eyes open.

The only times that I close my left eye is when facing strong winds or rain.
grin.gif

Shot with one eye closed all my life and recently shooting for several hours I get headaches and migraines with only one eye open so I'm adjusting to both eyes open. I like being able to see what's going on around but it does take time to get used to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting with both eyes open is definitely preferable. It may take some getting used to but it's worth it. If you have trouble, here's a trick you can use:
<span style="font-weight: bold">If you have a flip-up lens cover on your occular lens, turn it so that it so that the cover opens sideways,</span> (from 3:00 to 9:00 position) Then, when youre looking through your scope, the cover will be in front of your left eye, like a built-in "blinder". This should make it easier until you get comfortable. Eventually, it will become second nature. </div></div>

Semour,
This is a GREAT suggestion!!!

If folks already have the Butler Creek "red tab" snap-open cover
where it will snap-open too far forward and only hold one position
they can remove the spring and add a thin washer to make up for the gap.

This way the cup will still spring open and allow to move the cap to any position that they want.

Closed cover
IMG_1823.jpg

Snapped open
IMG_1824.jpg

alternate position
IMG_1826.jpg

9:00 position
IMG_1825.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i5939</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is shooting with both eyes open a good or bad technique to start. i like doing it so i can see around and whats happening but if it is impropper for some reason or other please let me know. </div></div>No one has yet asked you what kind of shooting you are doing.

For tactical precision rifle shooting: Find it with your eye.......