• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shooting with bifocals?

MATADOR

Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
20 years post RK I’m now having to get some bifocals the doc says. Is this doable with optics or do I need a different set with the distance only prescription?

Last edited:
No problemo. Top 2/3 to look through the glass, bottom 1/3 to see to twirl the knobs. Get them in polycarbonate, with a full size lens, light weight and you are wearing eye protection. Win win.

Yup no problem. I have progressive bifocals and I am looking through the top of the lens.

Same as above - no issues with progressive bifocals for me. Took a little to get used to but love them now. Can get the turret in focus with a quick tilt of head up, and through the glass is perfect thru top of lens.

I wear progressives but don't use them when shooting through a scope. I adjust the diopter to correct for my vision and wear regular safety glasses only. However, my vision may be better than yours and I have no astigmatism. YMMV.

So “progressive” is without the line I’m assuming?

Yup but it also has three sight positions in mine. Far on top, mid in the middle for computer distance and reading on the bottom.

Yup but it also has three sight positions in mine. Far on top, mid in the middle for computer distance and reading on the bottom.

Same corrections as above. Progressives are great. The only problems occur if you also have an astigmatism correction in your prescription as well which is my problem.

I have an astigmatism in my shooting eye as well.

I do both progressives and monovision (dominant eye with contact for shooting/driving and other eye naked for reading). I can’t stand shooting with the progressives. Takes me forever to focus. I shoot using the monovision setup and am seriously considering monovision lasic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No issues whatsoever using progressive bifocals and shooting both shotguns at sporting clays and scoped rifles.

Thanks guys, had to tell the frame salesman to chill while I figure this out ( input from ya'll).

I wear progressives but don't use them when shooting through a scope. I adjust the diopter to correct for my vision...

This is basically what I have settled on for now.
I got glasses for the first time in the last year. Progressive bifocals.
It’s been a maddening adjustment in the way I do a lot of things, but none more than shooting.
Pistol, irons on a carbine, and magnified optics all have had a learning curve to them.
On my rifles with magnified optics, I wear the bifocals so that I can look through the bottom of the lenses to read the markings on the turrets, but look over the top of them through the scope.
I am hoping that time and practice will yield a better solution.