• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Shooting With Both Eyes Open

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I shoot with both eyes open on a scoped rifle without any problems. When I am trying to do this with a pistol with open sights I start seeing 2 of everything. Should my eyes remain open like normal or am I supposed to squint slightly while keeping both eyes open to see the sights clearly?

Re: Shooting With Both Eyes Open

Do what you need to so you can see the target, what's the problem if they're slightly squinted?

it depends on the distance, usually up close I can keep both eyes open but for longer shots I tend to close one eye and focus more on the front sight and trigger pull.
practice different ways and figure out what works best for you.
hope this helps.

I guess right now I just need to work on my accuracy more than anything. Also is it normal for the front of the pistol to tip forward when you pull the trigger? I do it some on my 1911 but much worse on a Glock.

Practice dry firing a lot. Try to practice not moving the pistol when squeezing the trigger.

you're anticipating recoil and 'pushing' the pistol forward. as noted above, lots of dry fire practice will help. i tried to wear out a snap cap taking care of my pistol twitches. best $10 i spent on firearms accessories so far.

243, the only reason to shoot with both eyes open is for speed during multiple target acquisition. When I shoot for speed, no doubt, both eyes are open. But when I sit down with the .44 at 100y, my left eye is closed. If you are working on trigger control and technique, don't worry about keeping both eyes open. You NEED to have trigger control (ie no nose-diving pistol), you NEED to hit your target, you don't NEED to shoot fast yet.

What are you shooting?

Do you have a single action .22 auto? This is the best technique teacher there is.

I do what it takes to shoot accurately. I shoot pistols with my left eye shut. I make hits everytime. My buddies shoot both eyes open and they give me a hard time about my technique. That is until they see my target.
wink.gif

Miles2go and attherange are spot on as far as advice. I do exactly the same and have heard many shooting instructors say a shooter should do the same. For myself, near distances 15 yards and in both eyes are open, longer shots I close one eye and slow down as tigger control at longer distances is paramount for me when shooting handgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 243Varminter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I am trying to do this with a pistol with open sights I start seeing 2 of everything.</div></div>

It's quite normal. Obviously, one set of sights, and only one, is the one through which you want to be aiming. To do that, you need to determine which is your dominant eye: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/shoo...ur-dominant-eye

As it so happens, my left eye is dominant, so I choose the set of sights that corresponds to the image that I see when I close my right eye. If I have enough time to contemplate the act of pulling the trigger, I use one eye. If not, I use two. When I shot right-handed, I had to adopt a stance that centered the pistol somewhat more directly before me in order to bring it before the left eye. Now that I shoot left-handed, centering it isn't an issue.

I have trouble shooting pistols with both eyes open, and trouble to the extent that i do not do it. Through testing with experienced forearms instructors, i have found that like everyone else, i have a dominant eye. But the amount of dominance I have is slight, which gives me the same double vision as the OP has with pistols. I have no issues with rifles, but with pistols i just cannot do it. Shooting the rifle with both eyes open did require some retraining as when i was trained by the military, one eyed shooting was taught.

Another advantage to shooting with both eyes open is periferal vision.

Do whatever makes that front sight clear, it's different for a lot of people. As stated before, dry firing is an awesome way to develop muscle memory and good trigger squeeze. That's about the best way to get rid of slamming the trigger while firing. You can also load up some dummy rounds while you're shooting to check your form, when that front sight takes a dive it will be painfully obvious. Plus you get additional practice clearing Phase I's. I know a lot of guys who dry fire 100 times a day, they consider it part of their PT routine.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, trying like hell to practice shooting both eyes open, aiming with dominant eye. Everything I've read states both eyes open, aim with dominant eye. Lots of practice.

I am definitely pushing the pistol forward anticipating recoil. I shoot low almost every time on my first or last shot. I have been using my Ruger Mark II to develop good trigger control and hopefully I will be able to eliminate the trigger jerk and muzzle tip. I can break the shot on my Glock now with a spent case remaining on top of the sight but the pistol still shakes a little. I have just got to get it in my head to not try to force the shot where I want it to go. This only makes my problem worse. Here lately I have been single loading my magazines while practicing to avoid the uncontrollable urge to jerk the trigger. Thanks for all the replies. I dry fire a lot now.

Sounds like you're on the right track 243. Keep up the practice!
Snap-caps are a gunners best friend!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 243Varminter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am definitely pushing the pistol forward anticipating recoil.
</div></div>

Sounds like your on the right track; this a very common problem. I have a drill that might help (dry or live).

10m target and assume a shooting stance (iso or weaver) while holding the weapon against your chest (pointed in direction of target). Focus both eyes on the point where you want the round to impact. Press the weapon out, bringing your sights to your eyes. Once the target and sights become visible, squeeze the trigger.

It's really difficult to try and write instructions but the key is to take your mind out of the equation. So you just keep repeating the drill, one round and down, one round and down. When you feel you have mastered that, move on to double taps, then 2x body 1x head.

With what ever hand you are dominant with make an open fist with it.Now look at a door knob through the open fist with both eyes.Now close your left eye while looking at the same door knob.If your hand/open fist covers up the door knob then your left eye dominant if your dominant hand is the right hand.With what ever hand you use and to what ever eye while closed covers up the door knob will tell you which eye is dominant.

the test above is more for rifel and bow shooting from my understanding.

When I was given this same test I found that I was righ hand left eye dominant.So now I just push the pistol more to my left side.This allows my left eye to focus faster on the sights of my pistol.When shooting for tight groups I too close my left eye as if I am shooting my rifel.

I've always been taught and have taught to shoot with both eyes open.

But I got to thinking, "did I" I couldn't remember. I had to get my wife out side to see. Sure enough I do keep both eyes open.

I've been fighting the same problem. Right eye dominant but focus shifting to left eye periodically. I started putting a piece of matte tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses and that seems to help.

I shoot with both eyes open. That's what works for me. Everyone is different and I say do what works for YOU. I'm right eye dominant and my brain seems like is shuts down my right eye when I'm behind the scope or aiming down the iron sights of my pistol.

The use of tape on the offside lens is an old trick and it works well. In general use as small of a piece of tape as possible, you only want to block the off eye from focusing on the sights. It should still be able to see peripherally around the tape so that you can still see enough to perform other functions as well as seeing and tracking other targets.

A trick alluded to by an earlier poster of using dummy rounds in your simi is a good idea, but even better in a revolver. Play Russian Roulette with a target by loading one live round and the rest of the chambers with fired cases. Spin and start "shooting". You have no idea which trigger pull will make the gun go BANG and you will see your flinch very clearly. This technique works really well rifles too. Have your friend load it or not load it and then shoot and watch what happens to the sights. This is the best flinch cure I know of and it works for me to stay on top of this ubiquitous problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 243Varminter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot with both eyes open on a scoped rifle without any problems. When I am trying to do this with a pistol with open sights I start seeing 2 of everything. Should my eyes remain open like normal or am I supposed to squint slightly while keeping both eyes open to see the sights clearly? </div></div>

I say it depends on your application: Are you training for gun fighting or target shooting?

If you are training for self defense, I say both open. Other than a lot of already mentioned reasons, there is supposedly an FBI study that found that if you are involved in an exchange of close quarters gunfire, your body will not allow you to close an eye as it is in survival mode and is trying to push all senses to their maximum.

Target shooting: close and eye and show your ballroom shooting skills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitesheep</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A trick alluded to by an earlier poster of using dummy rounds in your simi is a good idea, but even better in a revolver. Play Russian Roulette with a target by loading one live round and the rest of the chambers with fired cases. <span style="font-weight: bold">Spin and start "shooting".</span> You have no idea which trigger pull will make the gun go BANG and you will see your flinch very clearly. This technique works really well rifles too. Have your friend load it or not load it and then shoot and watch what happens to the sights. This is the best flinch cure I know of and it works for me to stay on top of this ubiquitous problem. </div></div>

Who are you? Jimmy Cagney reincarnated? Spin NOTHING on a revolver unless you do it by cocking the hammer or pulling the trigger. It can mess up the timing. You DO understand what that does to accuracy, right? Where the HELL do we get these instant experts from?

If you're cross-eye dominant (I am) and you're willing to shoot leftie (I'm not), just go ahead and compensate. Collyn Loper is blind in one eye and it doesn't hurt her shooting much. I can't remember the name of the USPSA champion shooter from a couple of years ago who shot with one eye closed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hajjwhisperer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do whatever makes that front sight clear, it's different for a lot of people. As stated before, dry firing is an awesome way to develop muscle memory and good trigger squeeze. That's about the best way to get rid of slamming the trigger while firing. You can also load up some dummy rounds while you're shooting to check your form, when that front sight takes a dive it will be painfully obvious. Plus you get additional practice clearing Phase I's. I know a lot of guys who dry fire 100 times a day, they consider it part of their PT routine. </div></div>

This right here...it doesnt really matter which eye if any is dominant...just make sure that the front sight is in focus and that your trigger pull is good and you will have the problem whipped. It sounds like to me that you are trying to focus on the target and not the front sight. You are not going to get the accuracy you want doing it that way. The front sight is the only thing that should be crisply in focus shooting a handgun, which requires you to shift focus from the target to the front sight deliberately.

I developed the habit of closing my non-firing eye long ago. I have tried to break the habit and I have had lots of formal schooling, but the fact of the matter it, I can shoot my ass off so... Maybe just do what works for you.

I've been struggling with this for some time. I'm right handed and left eye dominant.

For pistols, its not an issue, I can just tilt my head and shoot with both eyes open using my dominant eye.

For shotguns, it drove me crazy. I tried tape, closing one eye, etc. and finally gave up and switched to shooting left handed. Was absolutely the right decision and am shooting much better as a result.

I've been getting more serious about shooting rifles and am struggling with whether I should switch to shooting left handed. Shooting right handed is easy and I don't care about closing my left eye, BUT my two kids are left eye dominant and I started shooting them shooting left handed. Don't want to invest in some high quality firearms with right handed actions and not have anything for them to shoot/inherit.

Frustrating.

Here's a trick you might try. Don't get so hung up on your 'eye dominance' when shooting.

Focus on the front sight, and let the target become a blur. Center the front sight on the middle of the 'blur' and pull the trigger.

I've worked with a lot of guys that have the same problem that many of you are describing.

Once you get the front sight exercise down ... the rest will come naturally. The next step is to bring the target into focus, and 'blur' the sight picture. A good set of Tactical Sights will help immensely. ie: Trijicon HD Night sights, XS Big Dot, or Warren Tactical Sights.

I'm a fan of XS Big Dot sights. They're a modern adaptation of the Express sight used on dangerous game rifles in since the 19th Century because they promote extremely fast target pick-up and sight alignment. The front sight is the size of a hubcap and it is by far the "fastest" set of sights I've ever used.

The hitch is they're two vertical dot sights. Several years ago I bought a subcompact autoloader that came with two vertical dot sights and figured out pretty quickly that my sight alignment process seemed to be more instinctive with that style of sight versus three horizontal dots, and FAR faster than Glock's box and dot. YMMV.

I figured why not capitalize in on this so I bought (2-dot) Heinie Straight-8s all around, then I came across the XS Big Dots. That was a HOLY JEEZIS! moment. Sight alignment is so nearly subconscious that it feels like the front sight jumps on to the target of its own accord.

One side effect of the oversized front sight I noticed was I have far less a tendency to close my weak side eye. I'd never really thought about it but in a SD scenario, I'd reckon keeping both eyes open is better for situational awareness. Now I squint the weak side eye only very slightly but that's more a muscle memory artifact from decades of shooting with my weak side eye closed than from actually needing it.

Long story short, if you think keeping both eyes open in a gunfight is a good idea, and if your brain can adapt to vertical two-dot sights, have a look at the XS Big Dots:

bigdotheader.png

10Generation, in an era where nearly all guns are mass-produced, we've mostly dropped the habit (except in Europe, where it's still quite common), but once upon a time, the stocks on most all hunting guns were bent slightly to move the plane of the barrel into more direct alignment with the shooter's eye. For a right-handed shooter, it's called "cast-off" and the stock bends to the left a tad. For a Left-handed shooter, it's called "cast-on," bent to the right. Cross-dominant shooters can order "heavy cast" so it feels natural to mount the gun on one shoulder but sight down the barrel with the eye on the opposite side. An especially broad-chested shooter might also need a heavy cast.

The down sides are that cast stocks increase felt recoil, and tend to make the gun unsuited for an opposite-handed shooter.

I know I'm a little too late but at least you have options if you ever want to switch back to shooting with your natural hand.

caston.jpg
castoff.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do what you need to so you can see the target, what's the problem if they're slightly squinted? </div></div>

You will be slower is the problem and have a lot less view of what is going on around you. Like possible threats.
Pat