• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting your own match?

Shoot your own match or no?

• Shoot it!

• Probably shouldn't

Results are only viewable after voting.

sharp360shooter9

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2017
I host a fun .22LR match at my place once a month that is not associated with the NRL22 or PRS22. It's purely for practice, fun, and designed to be a stepping stone between NRL22 COFs and NRL22x COFs. I pay out the Top 3 places. The topic of MDs shooting their own matches has come up and I'm curious what other's opinions are on this? Because I am a top competitor in my area, me shooting my own match has gotten some negative comments. But on the flip side, people sign up and come for the competition. Beyond setting up and checking sightlines on targets I do not practice my COF. I'm too busy arranging other aspects of the match to have time to shoot it before - setting up Practiscore, putting together matchbooks, and preparing lunch for after the match.

You should definitely shoot it but since you do pay-outs remove yourself from any 1st, 2nd or 3rd finish.
I am very familiar with your situation, people assume that you've shot/practiced everything about the match but the reality is I've sweated for hours setting up a match and not even brought a gun with me. Because of my situation I have set-up 70% of the match weeks in advance and have had to remind myself of the COF from the match sheet on match day. The exception may be if your match becomes so big that it's a JOB to run it, then shooting it may be more problematic.

MOST people who set matches are too busy, too second guessing themselves, to shoot it well. But the perception is you are the expert, no shoot it NFS.

Some matches I've seen (not even that big always) have the staff and volunteers shoot on a separate day, at the end of setup. Mostly just to get shooting time in, have friendly competition that is separate from the paid competitors. Some of them will have a separate prize table; never pulled from main prizes, not as good of stuff ever, but like extras gifted by the prize table donors to the MD or for staff, which instead of just keeping they sub-donate to make a competition as well, or the match buys dinner for the top of each class (everyone else is going out but paying their way otherwise), or so on.

Reactions: lash
if your running a match ...then run the match

maybe shoot 1-2 stages that are hard just so guys see you shoot etc

you can only do one thing with 100% attention

I am the MD for a few local matches.

We only charge a few bucks so there is no cash payout.

With no prizes on the line, I will shoot the match for score.

Same here. We have 3 ranges we rotate through and all the MDs shoot there own match. I get zero practice on mine before the match and the others are the same. If we did a cash payout I'd be hard pressed to take money at my own match. If money is on the table, shoot it for fun only. No money on the line, bet your sweet ass you compete lol

if your running a match ...then run the match

maybe shoot 1-2 stages that are hard just so guys see you shoot etc

you can only do one thing with 100% attention

If that was the case, I would pull the plug on my matches and go be a consumer. It has to be fun for everyone. At the end of the day, I am also a shooter just like the dudes that threw a $10 bill in the jar. Being a MD is the most expensive free match fee you will ever encounter.

shoot it for score / prizes. if folks somehow feel you're getting an unfair advantage, have them design stages and/or help you set them up and tear them down.

Reactions: Ratchety
I host a fun .22LR match at my place once a month that is not associated with the NRL22 or PRS22. It's purely for practice, fun, and designed to be a stepping stone between NRL22 COFs and NRL22x COFs. I pay out the Top 3 places. The topic of MDs shooting their own matches has come up and I'm curious what other's opinions are on this? Because I am a top competitor in my area, me shooting my own match has gotten some negative comments. But on the flip side, people sign up and come for the competition. Beyond setting up and checking sightlines on targets I do not practice my COF. I'm too busy arranging other aspects of the match to have time to shoot it before - setting up Practiscore, putting together matchbooks, and preparing lunch for after the match.
Tell those making negative comments to go set up and run their own match. Bet none of them do. They probably don’t help on set up or take down either.

I have been MD and RO for various matches through the years and still host a monthly 22 lr steel event. Getting help much less volunteers is a tough battle. My match is a cheap entry fee, enough to cover club fees, some minor repair items and paint for the targets. I don’t pay out prize money, that cuts way down on the assaholistic behavior and is the source of most grumbling. Bragging rights for a top position and a semi tough but reachable COF has been enough to keep a consistent draw of competitors. My optional side challenge at the end of the match has non cash prizes for top shooter. currently it is an engraved challenge coin that is sized 1/2 moa , set up at the farthest distance at 200 yards. First one to hit it takes it home. Last time’s side challenge was a golf ball at 200, only 2 hits out of 70 attempts , wind is a legitimate challenge for 22lr.

Keep it fun and they will show, prize table shouldn’t be the reason for shooting.

Shoot but no prize/score. I run matches, shoot them too but dont do as well as matches where I'm not a MD. Too many things going on.

Shoot it for score and place. Push any prizes down.

You keep winning and taking prizes and the perception develops that you are hosting for self-gain -- a self-licking ice cream cone.
Score and place, remove prizes entirely or raffle.

we have two issues of discussion here:
1) should MD shoot COF at all? (Most MDs I know are volunteers not getting paid)
2) prize table and all the drama bs it brings out

As to number one, you aren’t going to have many MDs if they do not get to play. Why should
they go to all the effort to create a match, procure the supplies and targets, advertise, board approval, set up cof, scorekeeping, RSO, RO, keep the match moving at good pace, resolve any protests or bitching, break down cof and cleanup, and if a ranked match (do all the paperwork and national reporting later at night).?

As to number two, prize table drama has been brought up on several threads before. Personally l think the prize table should be raffle only, every entry gets a raffle ticket for showing up. First second and third get 3,2 and 1 extra raffle tickets in each division. Probably never happen, but would cut down on the primadonna antics and theatrics bs. For a small match like mine, maybe have first place refunded back entry fees. Matches should be about the joy of shooting for the competitors , not a way for a “professional“ shooter to make a living traveling a circuit and selling the match prizes in the px on monday.

As to the perception I am running the match for self gain: Every shooter in the match has the same opportunity to win. If your skills were not enough to win, then improve them. Dont bitch about the competition beating you or try to diminish the winner by insinuating they had an advantage because they set up the COF (exception being an unknown range cof and those usually are a big professional match with paid workers or work bond volunteers who do not shoot). I am not going to all this effort to sit on a bench and do all the work for everybody else and not participate. If you think that then I will quit and as Hoser so eloquently stated previously go be a consumer elsewhere.

^^^^I was happy being a consumer, only started MD'ing because the only rimfire match close to me, went away. Figured if I wanted a match I'd have to pony up and make it happen. If someone thinks I'm doing it for profit or stuff, feel free to take on the mantle.

Reactions: lash and CBeck
So you host the match on your own land, set up everything, pay out top 3, make matchbooks, and prepare lunch for everyone afterwards...? Yeah sounds like a lot of reason for others to bitch :rolleyes:... Regardless if you compete in your area and how good you are or aren't Id tell the people with negative comments to eat a dick. Some people are always crying about something, give participation trophies to the negative ones so their little feelings aren't hurt anymore.

Maybe I'm ignorant here but why are MDs not being paid? With 50-100 dudes paying 200 bucks or more, seems like there's room in the budget. I'm pretty new to all this but I can clearly see MDing is a ton of work. I wouldn't be doing it for free ever

Md’s do a ton of work for little reward. Unless it is a unknown distance course of fire let them shoot it. Just a fun hobby nobody getting rich in this sport.

Maybe I'm ignorant here but why are MDs not being paid? With 50-100 dudes paying 200 bucks or more, seems like there's room in the budget. I'm pretty new to all this but I can clearly see MDing is a ton of work. I wouldn't be doing it for free ever
OP mentioned it was a rimfire match, round these parts those are generally small and match fees are no where near 200$. So all the labor is really because the MD wants to, not because of any real income is to be made.

I make plaques for 1st places in each class. No cash payout.. I shoot the match as well. Enjoy being a "customer" at other matches and try to land a helping hand whenever I shoot someplace else.
Started running matches at our club because there was nowhere else to shoot that was close by.
I get anywhere from 2 to 18 shooters, about 20 bucks a pop, fees go to the club, i get reimbursed for supplies/equipment but time is all volunteered.

I buy tiles from home Depot and have them laser engraved by my local guy...

He charges me about $10 per tile (after a initial set up fee). Tiles are pretty cheap and I get variety of shapes and sizes each month

I glue cork on the back to make it look nicer.

Attachments

• 20210328_132157.jpg
    20210328_132157.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 85

He charges me about $10 per tile (after a initial set up fee). Tiles are pretty cheap and I get variety of shapes and sizes each month

That is a cool idea, very nice!

Reactions: Badjujuu
I shoot the RF match where I am MD.
The stages are the same every match, so I have no advantage there. There is no prize table, and no NRL/PRS affiliation with their associated add-on rules, which might prevent an MD from competing.
I am also a usually a mid-pack shooter and therefore not a threat to competitors who get all butthurt when they don't win.
Lastly and most importantly, I created and run the match precisely because I wanted to shoot it!

Last edited:
Shoot it, No points, No prizes- but shoot each stage first so the other guys that aren't top competitors have something to go on.

I’m with the majority here and wholeheartedly think you should shoot it, but don’t take prizes. I have no problem with listing the score, since it’s what you shot, but don’t participate in the awards.

As the MD for the local .22 match here, I know how much work and effort goes into setting up a match and literally never get a chance to shoot the COF before a match, even though I publish it a week or so before the match and others do have that opportunity.

Since I use the NRL22 COF plus five of my own new stages each match, this is not an issue. I do shoot for score, but honestly, with 25+ people, I’m usually too occupied to give it my best. I shoot it for my own fun and run it because otherwise there’d be no place else to shoot one in our area without half a day’s drive or more.

Btw, getting volunteers to help is not easy and I find most are pretty busy on setup day.

I run a match at our local range maybe twice a year and I'm also one of the top competitors in my area. I shoot for score but all prizes are raffled off (and I'm not in the raffle). I started running matches so there would be a match local to me for my buddies and I to practice at and to bring new shooters in. Every other match I shoot is a minimum of 4 hours away with most being 10+ hours away. I've heard some of the same complaints as you and I just said fuck em. If I wasn't gonna shoot my own match, I just wouldn't bother to invest the time away from work and family to set it up and run it. If somebody else wanted to run the match, I'd happily sit back and be a consumer, haha.

Those came out really cool. Inspired me today to make some more interesting 200 yard challenge coin designs. Wrapped the text engraving around the center and added a center bullseye. Harder to CAD than the straight line plain text coins I had already made, but are more interesting. Dykemed a couple prior to engraving for a two tone effect. Nice souvenir for the future winners.

coins are one inch alum stock, gold one is brass. Love finding uses for leftover stubs from other jobs.
3C05973C-8E56-430F-AC88-6AF9462F37B4.jpeg

Shoot it on a different day and run the match the day everyone else does.

Shoot it on a different day and run the match the day everyone else does.
I’d love to, but really just don’t have the time for it. This is literally a matter of wanting to provide the match for everyone. I’ve never had an issue doing it my way so far, so that’s how it will remain for now.

I shoot my own NRL22 and NRL BW matches I host here. I see no conflict and there is no gain from it other than experience. You could either forgo the cash or not, you aren't getting rich off of it. Haters be damned.

Even with the BW series matches I cannot set the final COF until I close the range the afternoon before the match. There is no time to pre-shoot it so it's a level field.

I run club level and 2 day events. At the club level, i absolutley shoot for score. I will not take a trophy or prize. I live 2 hours from the club range. I have to eiter roll in the night before to setup the steel, or get up real early and setup in the dark. I run matches so we have matches to go to. I am not putting in this level of work to watch people shoot. If someone is upset, they can go be upset somewhere else.
For 2 day matches, there is no way I have time to shoot. I would love to be able to shoot my cof from the 2 day match, but it is not in the cards.