• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shop interior ideas

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
Anyone have any good ideas for the interior of my shop. It is about 2400sq ft with 16ft side walls. It is getting spray foamed in the next few weeks then I will put steal on the ceiling.

I am trying to figure out what to do with the walls. Steel looks good but is expensive and makes the barn extremely loud if you are doing anything. I have thought about osb and painting it. Or a decent ply wood and leaving it natural. It is stick built so no extra work for plywood.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Is it on same property as residence? If not - I can make a suggestion. Never hurts to have a shower, couch that can double as a bed, and functional kitchen.

Depends on what you will be doing in your shop.
Wood frame with a lot of welding needs some things that a wood working shop with dry wall may not need.
What area are you in "environmentally" ?.... Montana needs insulation and Florida needs a dehumidifier..
How is your eyesight and the size of small items you will be working with... LED's might work, might not.
Shops I have been never had the proper ventilation... Too much, too little, wrong place.
Going to be spray painting ?
Put a big, noisy air compressor outside under cover, not in the shop.
Don't run any PVC pipe, exposed in the shop.
Going to spill oil or grease on the floor ?... Coating ... Squeegee slick concrete ?
A good question with lots of options.
How is your budget ?

There's a ton of options but what you are using it for is exactly the right question

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^LIGHTS!!!

I have a 5400 SF shop and it never seems bright enough in the spot I’m standing. One day I will upgrade.

Reactions: Yasherka
On my red iron 40x40 I wanted to do the same type of exterior metal on the inside 8' up to match but never did. While it would look great it could also protect the exposed insulation. Our 2nd fire dept had this done, looks really nice. My older square tube building has plywood 4' up all the way around.

Neighbor had a red iron built and used drywall to enclose all of it, looks like the interior of a house. Very clean but he doesn't use it as a shop, stores classic cars.

Ok. Lots of holes in my question.

This is at my home. I have a small bathroom and kitchenette because my wife likes to entertain. I run a small plumbing business out of here so storing some materials and tools. Will be welding some. Not often but some. Working on vehicles or whatever comes through. I have lots of lights so that is under control.

Looking for it to be functional to work in yet look nice, without spending a fortune.

Thanks for all the replies

ETA. I am in Michigan so I will be heating with a combination of wood and propane

Last edited:
We just built a place last summer. Ours has 10' walls, so what we did might not be the best answer. We used 4 x 8 primed Smart siding. We left it all the same in the shop area (no trim other than a vinyl 1-x along the floor). We put metal on the ceiling along with LED lighting. The Smart siding made it easy for us to do the wiring ahead of time versus having to use conduit or leaving wire long to get placement correct.

1677499208099.png

We used same stuff in our offices, but put a wainscot along the bottom.

1677499297469.png

When we bought this, it was $35 a sheet. I think at the time, metal was $50 for a 3 x 10 sheet.

We did drywall the small rooms (we put closets in each office and a full bath between them) as there is lots of waste in a small room with the 4 x 8 sheets.

Not sure if this is a good plan if you are going to be cutting / welding near it. Water is no issue as this is an exterior product.

Maybe a wainscot of metal.

The place we sold, I used metal on ceiling as well as the walls, but at that time, metal was about $1.80 ($18 for 3 x 10) a running foot.

Both places are spray foamed, and while high, I would never cut corners there.

Best of luck with this and enjoy when completed.

This is the only photo I have on my phone of mine, my sides are a tick taller at 24' and mine is 20x30. Personally I really did not care and don't care what the inside looks like as long as it works. IMHO there is no such thing as too much light, you can have light in the wrong place however. I guess you have the bathroom and such in the shop so that is out. Only thing I can add if you don't need that height everywhere, I needed it that tall for a two post lift in the center, you can build storage along the sides. I have been for the past month doing just this. It is almost done, hopefully one more weekend then the wood will be done.....I hate wood. Then it is moving tools and junk to that "second level" and making some floor space.

A pic of my shop, I just put in a sink last summer, it is so nice to wash your hands. I just use rain water off the building.
For reference the big crane (bird) is over 6'.

Just re read that for errors, sure there are some. But I am building a loft. It is 8' over the floor, and comes our roughly 5' from the edge of the building. It will basically run down the side across from the crane.

1677501947122.png

Reactions: Yasherka
I second the smart siding. Very durable if you go with the 5/8” thick.

In process of helping friend finish his 30x50 10ft walls. Bottom 4ft and ceiling are metal. Osb between. R19 in walls and r30 ceiling. 20230218_100543.jpg

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
that's going to be a fun space to fill with gun supplies floor to ceiling powder , primers , and bullets along with benches and running water lol oh and an old jukebox to play your favorite tunes on and a big screen tv by which to watch old westerns and war movies in comfort .

4' LED lights, put in around 50 in my barn on several switches, so I can get "more or less light where needed"
OSB is now cheap at $10/sheet, but it doesn't look great when painted.
Plywood is at $21 for 1/2".

I run PVC pipe through the walls so I can have air chucks all over the place.

Electrical outlets up high so they will be higher than a work table.

Toilet and shower.

Gas up high for a ceiling heat unit.

Costco has these metal stack shelves on sale right now that are huge and strong, like what warehouse stores use for display. I put a bunch in my shop to hold boxes of nails and tools.

Built my shop about 8 years ago. Decided to go with 4' of Plywood around the bottom for durability. Rest of walls and ceiling are drywall. Inexpensive and paintable if I want to change the color or brighten it up.

20230226_140940.jpg

Reactions: mi223