• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters shopping for small 8x binoculars

darth_ritis

money hater
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    I want some small binoculars, preferably 8x rather than 10x, for carrying all day. Also hoping for "hand" size, bigger than pocket binoculars but smaller than most "medium" size 8x42. I really don't want to spend Swarovski CL $$$. Budget is $500 max, prefer closer to half that.

I've considered the Athlon Midas G2 UHD 8x42 which are a bit bigger than I would like but the price is good and I expect the glass would be good.
    I've considered the Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 but I've heard the glass isn't so great.
    The Leupold BX-4 Pro-Guide HD 8x32 doesn't have Leupold's highest grade glass, so I'm not sure how nice they would be. Anyone tried them?
    I've heard Kowa makes a good spotter, perhaps their BD II 8x32 with "XD" lenses is good? I don't know.
    Maven B.3 8x30 ??? I've heard some marketing push for Maven but haven't seen any of their products in the wild.

Suggestions welcome.

Do your homework on the kowa stuff. Its not all Japanese made. I have a pair of 10x vortex diamondbacks. For sub 200 they're quite good. They make an 8x version as well. I looked through the cheaper compact Swaro and they didn't stack up to my slc and aren't worth the $ imo.

The maven get good reviews online but I couldn't find anywhere to look through them. The nice thing about the diamondbacks is you can almost certainly find someplace to check them out in person.

Look at Stiener Military-Marine 8X30. You can generally find them for under $300. They are set up with the Stiener "Sport Focus".... focus once for your eyes and forget it. Glass is very good for the price point. Light weight and comfortable to use for hours at a time.

I have a pair of Vortex Diamondback (non-HD ???) 10x42 and a pair of Tract Toric UHD 10x50 with an RRS Cinch-LR tripod mount. I haven't been impressed with the Diamodback binos. They may be an older design? The website lists Diamondback HD but my binos don't say HD on them.

Doing more research now. Kowa vs. Leupold at this point. Kowa has a wider field of view and "better" controls, but is heavier and longer. Leupold is made in USA and is lighter, but is $130 more.

Just looked at mine and they're the 8x32. Says diamondback hd on the end of the focus wheel. They're definitely not the equal of my slc but are small light and functional and cost me 175$. When I mention doing research its because a lot of bino and spotting scope production seems to have shifted from Japan to China in the last few years and a lot of products like kowa and vortex razor that people associate with being Japanese no longer are. Higher end kowa stuff is still made in Japan but they're lower end and maybe mid range appear to be Chinese made. What Leopold binos are US made? I thought most of their stuff was Chinese made.

I have a kowa 553 and its amazing. I wanted kowa binos as well but only there top end models seem to me made in Japan. I wasn't able to find out where the mid range models where made.

Last edited:
    Reactions: darth_ritis
    I 2nd the Steiner. One of the most underrated optics out there. I have a couple different pair of them and have a 3rd pair loading on a boat from Germany in a 10-50 with LRF and a mil reticle built in. Pretty sweet.

My Steiner HX 15-56 that I use for PRS can hang with about anything.

These are German made I'm assuming? When I was getting binos/spotter/lrf I found it difficult to find out where a lot them were made. I'd planned to buy a vortex razor mini spotter only to find out they'd shifted production to China just in time for me to want one.

Eta those 15x look really interesting. I want to pick up some 15x to compliment my 10x slc but don't want to pay the Swaro tax to do so.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Birddog6424
    as always, i would at least take a few minutes to call doug at cameralandny.com and see if he has any insane deals.
    at least he can look through them and get feedback from customers if you're not close to someplace where you can do that yourself.

as always, i would at least take a few minutes to call doug at cameralandny.com and see if he has any insane deals.
    at least he can look through them and get feedback from customers if you're not close to someplace where you can do that yourself.

+1 for Doug. I was set on getting a kowa 663 which I thought was Japanese made with my primary use being digiscoping. He steered me towards the pure fluorite 553 and I couldn't be happier.

When I mention doing research its because a lot of bino and spotting scope production seems to have shifted from Japan to China in the last few years and a lot of products like kowa and vortex razor that people associate with being Japanese no longer are.
    Good advice, thanks.
    What Leopold binos are US made?
    According to Leupold, everything they offer is made in USA. :rolleyes: I'd be OK with "made in japan". I found one page that says the BX-4 Pro Guide HD line is made in japan, but I don't put much trust in what I read on random web pages.

Damn, it's either sketchy budget options or $1k-2k german options.

They make it sound that way but I believe most of the Leopold spotting stuff is Chinese. The only ones I could nail down as being US made were the mk4 spotter and the hunter version of it without the reticle. After my experience I wanted to start a thread listing where stuff was made but never got around to it. The companies seem kind of shifty about it and the only way to know for sure is from someone who's actually bought something recently.

I 2nd the Steiner. One of the most underrated optics out there. I have a couple different pair of them and have a 3rd pair loading on a boat from Germany in a 10-50 with LRF and a mil reticle built in. Pretty sweet.

My Steiner HX 15-56 that I use for PRS can hang with about anything.
    I have no doubt the Steiner optics are awesome, no doubt at all. The physical size, however, doesn't fit the bill here. The T824 may be the exception, but a 24mm objective seems too small. And the close focus on many models is not close at all - the Military-Marine 8x30 lists 66ft for minimum focus distance.

They make it sound that way but I believe most of the Leopold spotting stuff is Chinese. The only ones I could nail down as being US made were the mk4 spotter and the hunter version of it without the reticle. After my experience I wanted to start a thread listing where stuff was made but never got around to it. The companies seem kind of shifty about it and the only way to know for sure is from someone who's actually bought something recently.
    i hope maybe things the military buys are made here, since they don't seem to mind paying a premium.
    the only leupold products i have (mk4 spotter and mk5hd scope) are supposedly "entirely made in the usa", with the exception of the glass that is "made in japan". i forget who it is, but i think there is a member that actually knows most of this for realz.

Reactions: darth_ritis

Hmmmm ... and direct recommendation from Doug. Made in Japan or China, though. Quality control in Germany.

Last edited:
    I would guess the higher end line is Japanese and the lower is almost certainly Chinese. The 8x32 looks like a rework of the chassis on my diamondbacks. I didn't dig too deep but I didn't see where the higher end ones were made which always makes me suspicious. I wish they would just list where they are made. It seems to be somewhat easy to find out where rifle scopes are made and I don't understand why spotting equipment is so different.

I don't want to sound like I'm trashing all Chinese optics. There are some great bang for the buck Chinese and Philippine optics out right now. What pisses me off is western companies have a history of making their name having high end stuff made in Japan/Europe/Us and then shift production to China without telling anyone and charge the same for a theoretically inferior product. I'm sure the Chinese are capable of making high end glass if someone was willing to pay for it but these companies are trying to maximize profits so they set a lower production price and we the buyer end up getting screwed. I'm sure someone in the business will be along shortly to tell me i don't know what I'm talking about and it's all for our own good.

Reactions: theLBC
    These are German made I'm assuming? When I was getting binos/spotter/lrf I found it difficult to find out where a lot them were made. I'd planned to buy a vortex razor mini spotter only to find out they'd shifted production to China just in time for me to want one.

Eta those 15x look really interesting. I want to pick up some 15x to compliment my 10x slc but don't want to pay the Swaro tax to do so.
    Yes, those are German made. To the best of my knowledge, they don't make binos anywhere else. The nicer ones use Schott for their glass and prisms. The HX Series that I really like has very nice glass.
    I have no doubt the Steiner optics are awesome, no doubt at all. The physical size, however, doesn't fit the bill here. The T824 may be the exception, but a 24mm objective seems too small. And the close focus on many models is not close at all - the Military-Marine 8x30 lists 66ft for minimum focus distance.
    That 66ft/22yds seems like awfully close focus to me..

I havent really looked through the models in 8x. I know they do make a bunch of different designs.

Edit; These focus down to 2 yards..

Last edited:
    Reactions: shoobe01
    Leica 8x20 Trinovid BCA

if you have a shop near you that carries these, take a moment and put them in a side by side against anything else you might consider buying

Glass is excellent for the price. Only ding against them is they're smaller and lighter than most. Hence less robust.

Using your eyebrow ridges as support for your index fingers, at 8x even though lightweight they stabilize fine with a gorgeous image.

Leica glass isn't bad...

The optic most often in my pocket is a Leica LRF. I don't do binoculars well (phoria), plus: half the weight. The LRF has so much less extra bulk for the laser bits, who cares and also it's nice to be able to range stuff for all sorts of reasons. Anyway, mostly posting this because the Leica glass is great, better than the small 8x Steiner binoculars I also have; all my good scopes are Steiner so I truly believe in them).

Before this I have also had a pair of Fuji M24s: excellent glass, tough ergonomics (individual focus), very rugged but also therefore a bit heavy and larger than they seem to carry so I never did.

I also have a Vortex Solo RT monocular and it's... fine. Better than many things, but focus is a bit slow, and they are bigger than I wanted them to be really. But hilariously cheap for what you get.

I also have a Vortex Solo RT monocular and it's... fine. Better than many things, but focus is a bit slow, and they are bigger than I wanted them to be really. But hilariously cheap for what you get.
    I didn't know that existed. Thank you for sharing

any advice if considering one?

Have a Frog out on the deck, 15 feet from kitchen window, focused my steiner 8.30 Mil-Marine on him. Maybe I got lucky :)

They were $245 thru the IDK group buy. Best balance of size, quality and price I've seen.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Leica 8x20 Trinovid BCA

if you have a shop near you that carries these, take a moment and put them in a side by side against anything else you might consider buying

Glass is excellent for the price. Only ding against them is they're smaller and lighter than most. Hence less robust.

Using your eyebrow ridges as support for your index fingers, at 8x even though lightweight they stabilize fine with a gorgeous image.

Leica glass isn't bad...

I wonder if these are the bino version of my wife's monovid monocular. If so the glass is very nice.

I didn't know that existed. Thank you for sharing

any advice if considering one?

Just the size/shape really. Feels good in the hand, easy to keep ahold of, etc. But it is chunky and the rubber is downright snaggy so no tight pouches, etc. I don't have as many handheld optics as I used to, so here's a few things to compare:
    2021-06-06 20.33.53.jpg

PVS-14..........Vortex
    Leica LRF......Steiner 8x binoculars

Yeah, the Leica is up on end and has an adapter.

Looks like the leica ultravid 8×20 are the dual version of the monovid. Excellent glass but kinda spendy. The monovid is quite good also but a bit of coin for a monocular.

check out the Meopro HD line, glass is super bright and clear for the money IMO.

Maven C.1 are very good for the money. I am very impressed and happy with mine.

The 8x30 Steiners are ergonomically great.

They fill your hands but I would still consider them compact.

Any smaller and your looking at mil M24 which seem too small.

I have 8x30R in my work car and my range/beach bag. I comfortably scan ocean for hours.

They are great scanning binos with sport focus.

The only time I find them lacking is when I want to "bear down" on one object and I wish for a center focus wheel to sharpen things a hair.

Also cant lend them to others as you set the diopters on each side to your eyes........its a good excuse to not lend your binos to people and have them finger fuck the lenses.

Im currently looking for some 10x50 center focus.....wishing I could find some NOS or lightly used Leupold Tacticals - the sand colored ones.

I have the Steiner Military-Marine 8X30 and the Maven B.3 8x30's, the Maven's are considerably better optically to my eyes FWIW. Maven's definitely punch way above their class with regard to optical performance. I did an impromptu session with a buddy and his Swarovski EL 10x42 and the Maven B.2 9x45 and the Maven's kept up surprisingly well, are they as good as EL's no, but for the price I have not seen anything else that comes close.

Meopta MeoPro 8x32 HD. I've been pretty impressed with most Meopta Binos... for 429.99 these are kind-of in the middle of your budget.

Vortex Recce Pro 8x32 - This is a monocular, but the unit I have is Made In Japan, I'm happy with the glass and it's a little more compact than a pair of Binos.

Reactions: Sagewind
    Call Doug and see what he can do for you on Kowa Genesis 8x33.

If there is some sort of a deal going (they do happen occasionally), these are absolutely world class.

I like moderate magnification binoculars, so I am currently on a hunting and fishing trip to Alaska and messing with the new Steiner Navigator 7x30 porro binocular. For the moderate cost, I am really enjoying it. With IF, it is not for close range birding, but as a field binocular it is very good.

ILya

Reactions: Glassaholic
    I have used a Nikon Monarch 7 in 8x30 with the Rick Young strap for several years now. It has survived the rains in Alaska and the heat and dust of Limpopo, RSA several times each. It has also worked well during cold November hunts in the mountains of Colorado. Not the cheapest, but good glass and so far very reliable.
    Though I have Lieca and Swarovski binos in 10x42, I vastly prefer carrying the compact Nikons.

Best of luck finding what works the best for you!

Not what you were asking for but you did ask for suggestions.

I can not recommend enough the Swaro CL pockets. Easy to carry, easy to use. Glass is insanely good. I can look through them all day long and never get tired. Really opened my eyes, pun intended, to quality vs. quantity in optics. If you have an opportunity, go look through a pair, outside.

Reactions: Pesky Squirrel
    I don’t have a ton of experience with binos but I just recently picked up a pair of Leupold BX4 Pro Guide 10x42 and I love them. I got them for $450 from one of my local dealers, they were disco’d but the store manager told me he wouldn’t hesitate to buy them because he’s seen them replace disco’d items with brand new models for people that have run into problems. Anyways, I know this may be comparing apples to oranges but I have a Zeiss Conquest V6 5-30x50 on one of my rifles and it’s probably the nicest piece of glass I own optic wise and I feel like the BX4 bino’s I have project color, clarity, and light way better than the Zeiss scope and the crispness in the Pro Guide bino’s is pretty damn good. Probably just as good if not better than the V6 scope. I can focus in on a blade of grass 5 feet out or an object 500 yards out and the image quality is 20/20. I think the magnification falls a little short compared to what you might see from other brands but the clarity and quality is great for the price range. They are built for ruggedness and carrying all day, you can tell the minute you pick them up. They’re pretty light and compact which is something I really enjoy. I also really like the shape of them and the way they feel in the hand and hold to the eyes. I don’t think you’d be disappointed in them that’s for sure. When I’m ready to upgrade to something with a little more range I am probably going to put my money into a set of Santiam’s.

I realize this is an old thread but I only recently joined this forum. For anyone reading old threads on good lightweight 8x binoculars on a sub $500 budget we compared the old discontinued $200 Athlon Midas 8x42 and Carson 8x32 and their were pretty much tied and the Carson might be discontinued already what a shame but if you can find one for $100 it's worth buying. Another suggestion is to use Amazon's return policy and just buy 10 of the cheap HD and ED binoculars with large eyepieces and have the widest FOV and return all except one or 2 your own eyes like the best. You'd really be surprised how many sub $100 and sub $50 binoculars are actually really nice in person and cheap enough to buy several spares and just toss them if they break instead of paying $500-$1000 for a throwaway lifetime warranty that was a 5x to 10x cost factor to do their warranty numbers game. Now of you're well to do and financially comfortable then by all means buy the Swarovski, Leica, upper end Kowa, Zeiss, Meoptas or GPOs instead.

You might consider warranty when spending for Zeiss binoculars some middle line and budget models only have a short term 2 year warranty if you are assuming they all have lifetime warranty they don't. Leupold believe it or not might not honor their lifetime warranty once the model becomes obsolete. Kowa BDII XD is recommended in the 6x actually. The Maven 8x30 seems overpriced for what it is when the comparable Nikon Prostaff P7 version can be bought for $175 or less and cheapest I've seen was $150 plus additional 25% off with free shipping I think it came out to $110 after the discount and considering they may only have a 7 year warranty $110 vs $550 for the Maven and the Nikon has a lot wider FOV I think it was at least 450 or 460 feet at 1000 yards vs the 430 feet for the Maven. You could buy 3 to 5 of the Nikons good for at least 35 years worth of warranty worst case scenario and just toss them into the trash as they break and still be cheaper off and even try to fix then yourself then toss them into the trash after their warranties are up.

Last edited: