• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Short Action Customs (SAC) 30-06!!!!!

ogonzalez13

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Laredo, Texas
Who said the 30-06 has no place in this modern world? I beg to differ. I love the 30-06 so much I had the guys at Short Action Customs (SAC) Create This Masterpiece For Me.

If you listen very carefully, you can hear steel targets all over South Texas quivering in fear!

I would like to thank Mark, Dan and all the folks at SAC for building a great rifle.

Specs:

BAT Tactical Long Action
Schneider Fluted Barrel, 1-10 Twist, MTU Contour, 30" Long.
APA Fat Bastard Brake
McMillan A5 Stock, Fully Adjustable. (McMillan "McCamo" Finish)
Surgeon DBM Bottom Metal
Timney Wide Shoe Trigger Set At 2 1/2 Lbs.
All Metal Is Cerakoted Desert Sage With OD Green Accents

IMG_2094_zps946f1c86.jpg

IMG_2084_zpse4ee9410.jpg

IMG_2092_zps33c442d6.jpg

IMG_2093_zpsdcf98b8a.jpg

IMG_2085_zps9a5f26aa.jpg

IMG_2087_zps10f9a2f6.jpg

IMG_2088_zps49a378b5.jpg

IMG_2091_zps7b1bfa03.jpg

IMG_2090_zps84033ab9.jpg

IMG_2089_zps65d62a7e.jpg

That barrel and break look a mile long.

Also, I'm jealous... of the palm trees most of all.

Edit: Also, how much does that 30" MTU weigh?

Freakin' awesome! Great looking rifle. I think McCamo is one of the best molded in patterns going right now.

That barrel and break look a mile long.

Also, I'm jealous... of the palm trees most of all.

Edit: Also, how much does that 30" MTU weigh?

These thoughts went through my head when I initially specd this rifle out. I threw caution to the wind and said "Screw It"

It actually is not all that bad in the weight department. I honestly thought it would feel way heavier.

Last edited:
But . . . you can't have an outfit named Short Action Customs building you a long-action caliber. It just ain't right. :cool:

Looks great though. I especially like that camo

Very nice! Would like to see what kind of ballistics this will produce. What are you planning to run in it?

Really nice! Like the way you did the break in black, that looks great.

How long did you have to wait to get the action?

Nice looking rifle Omar, gonna go out on a limb and say you've got the first Bat Tactical Action that's been sprayed with Cerakote. If you and Pablo decide to go out and shoot it before selling it, put some pics up of the groups at 100 and beyond ;) Awesome rig brother!!

Nice looking rifle Omar, gonna go out on a limb and say you've got the first Bat Tactical Action that's been sprayed with Cerakote. If you and Pablo decide to go out and shoot it before selling it, put some pics up of the groups at 100 and beyond ;) Awesome rig brother!!

Pablo begged me not to Cerakote the action. He was afraid it would lose it's "smoothness".

Dan at SAC taped off a few key areas inside the action and left the bolt alone so that it would retain that slick feeling.

I can assure you that it feels great!!!

Dan did a great job.

Brother - take it from a fellow 30-06 LOVER -- Hell Yea !!!!!!

My gun spec: is

Surgeon RLR
Benchmark 3c 11twist @ 27" M40
McMillan A5 Heavy fill
Chamber is ( special sauce ) 30-06ISM ( just a tight body/ .340neck 30-06 ) but with a little change in the lead angle. Throat was spec: for 190VLD but just happens to be PERFECT for the 200Hybrid

My most favorite load is :

Norma Brass ( But Hornady brass works well and has same capacity )
H4831LC ( drop tubed in a 6" tube )
Fed215
Berger 200Hybrid

Also does VERY WELL with 190VD & 185juggernaut but the 200Hybrid just bucks the wind better!!

With that 10twister You have I would be inclined to try the 215hybrid ahead of H4831LC w/ mag primers
Nice rig - I LOVE IT the 108year old 30-06 will suprise most folks when given a proper diet....

That rifle was there when I picked up my 338 from the SAC shop. It has the same color combos!

Great looking rifle.

LOVE IT - comming from a fellow 30-06 head!!

I sling 200Hybrids in My 27" 11twist 06 pushed by H4831LongCut w/ 215primers

With that LONG 10twister You got there I would be inclined to try the 215Hybrid & H4831 ( Hint - In the long/skinny 06 - mag primers help lower the ES with slower powders and heavy pills )

Very nice stick - I am almost jealous / almost

Oh Yea - Third Generation Shooting Supply has 215hybrids in stock!!

Last edited:
LOVE IT - comming from a fellow 30-06 head!!

I sling 200Hybrids in My 27" 11twist 06 pushed by H4831LongCut w/ 215primers

With that LONG 10twister You got there I would be inclined to try the 215Hybrid & H4831 ( Hint - In the long/skinny 06 - mag primers help lower the ES with slower powders and heavy pills )

Very nice stick - I am almost jealous / almost

Oh Yea - Third Generation Shooting Supply has 215hybrids in stock!!

Thanks for the advice. I am very new to the art of reloading and will take all the advice that I can get.

I currently have Winchester brass, Fed 210M primers, H4350 and H 4831SC powder. My bullets on hand are 190 SMK and 208 AMAX.

Short, Medium, Long. SAC can build them all!!!

Mark isn't afraid to try new things either. He does great work. Just had him cut, thread and install a SF brake on my AIAE. Great looking rifle you have Omar.

Hell Brother - give the 208Amax a whirl with the H4831SC ( Mag primers will help ) ... Keep Us posted - again That is a very nice stick!!!!!

Not knocking the 190SMK - Great Bullet ( and handles transitional flight VERY WELL ) but the LONG bearing length and low BC make it a second choice at best in this modern world - I say again however that the 190SMK has a place in our world .. And it is not picky at all

H4350 tends to ramp up quick with the heavies in the old ought6 - but is most awesome with 175,178,180&185 pills when lit from mild primers like CCI200,BR2,F210 etc. etc.

Last edited:
In my Rock 1/10 M24 barreled '06 55.8 grains of H4350 seems to be a good load with Winny brass and 190s. I was getting around 2800 FPS from a 22.5 inch barrel.

That is a thing of beauty, every build I have seen from SAC looks like a work of art. Would like a range report when you get it out there. :cool:

Why.......crap......the more I hang around here the more expensive my wish list gets........

That is one of the finest looking rifles to come along in a while. That camo/cerakote combination is sick.

Knowing Mark's work, I bet it is a hammer as well…..

Congratulations on a really nice rifle!

Back when I first had my 30-06 built, I was shooting moly'd 190 SMKs at 2920 fps via RL22 (62.0 gr in Norma brass), and 26.5" bbl. I'll bet you can brbreak 3000 fps with 30" bbl.

Moly'd 208 AMax, 60gr RL22 gave me 2800 fps from 26.5" bbl. with 30" you probably have the potential to get close to 2900 fps.

Why.......crap......the more I hang around here the more expensive my wish list gets........
Lol! Me too.

On the one hand, I have to be careful not to blow my budget completely out of the water, but on the other hand, it gives me goals to keep me motivated in my work.

We are truly fortunate to have such great choices today.

Congratulations on a really nice rifle!

Back when I first had my 30-06 built, I was shooting moly'd 190 SMKs at 2920 fps via RL22 (62.0 gr in Norma brass), and 26.5" bbl. I'll bet you can brbreak 3000 fps with 30" bbl.

Moly'd 208 AMax, 60gr RL22 gave me 2800 fps from 26.5" bbl. with 30" you probably have the potential to get close to 2900 fps.

I would love to try these loading combos. I fear that with our extreme heat here in South Texas the RL22 won't be as stable. What do you think?

Last edited:
Very sweet pew stick. I also am a big fan of the MCM Camo. I'm intending on having SAC do a rebarrel and I can't wait!

185 hybrids would be my first choice in that rig,
they will out run the 190's and have enough speed to
compare with the 208's. not knowing the throat the 208's my
be deep in the case and you may not get the speed?
btw cool stick and good choice of smith and caliber,
especially with the problem of brass availability.

Awesome rig. Mark is building a 308 for me on one of his alpha actions. Pics like this keep me going while I wait.

Hey Omar, beautiful rifle man. How do you like that Bat Tac? Bolt feels like it's riding on lubed ball bearings doesn't it? It is one hell of an action. Post some follow up info after you get her dialed in. Thanks for showing.