• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Short Action Customs: Timing curvature of the bore

Re: Short Action Customs: Timing curvature of the bore

Has anyone experimented with EDM for deep-hole drilling?

A guy would think there might be less runout. I don't know much about the limitations of EDM, I'm just curious. I could imagine it's pretty expensive.

Stress-Relieve
EDM
ream (Unless EDM leaves a clean enough hole)
rifle
lap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ledzep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone experimented with EDM for deep-hole drilling?</div></div>

I'm pretty sure the cycle time would be something stupid.

I don't get it. The runout on the dowel pin should be adjusted out with the muzzle end spider, right? Or is the chamber end indicated straight with another dowel pin already. Looks like the chamber end indicator is just jumping on the lands.

Mark is indicating directly on the bore, this is the reason that the indicator is jumping. He has the first section of the bore where the chamber will be and where the bullet starts its journey running as strait and true as possible. It does not matter what the muzzle end is doing and it will never be perfectly true since there is no bore that is perfectly strait. He is adjusting the spider to get the inboard furthest point running as true as possible and then using the chuck to get the second point running true. The second point probably being as far in the bore as he can reach with an indicator.

very cool stuff mark