• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Short Action Rifle Build

asian8ter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2011
Hey guys I am hoping that I don't come off as a newbee, but I am in the deciding stage of a gun build and I am looking for any advice on what type of stock and barrel to use. I have a stevens 200 rifle in 223 that I want to rebarrel for a 6mm. I was really leaning toward the 6 x 45 chamber sinse i already have 223 brass and I would not have to change the bolt head on the savage bolt that these rifles have.
Does any body have any experience, any info, and any thing else that they could tell me about this round. I would really like the help.

Re: Short Action Rifle Build

It is an interesting round. It can push the 80gr. pills out around 2850-2900ish with the right loads. H4895, IMR8208XBR, and Benchmark all do fairly well. It is actually a pretty reasonable round for GP usage.
Get a decent barrel, probably 20-22" in length or so, and go out and have a blast.

Good Shooting,
Gary

Do you know if I can use a 223 go gage set for the head spacing or do I need to use one for the 6x45.

Nothin wrong with being a noob man. Everybody has been one. I think the twist will depend on what grain bullet you will be shooting. If im not mistaken usually .223 is 1:9 down to 1:7 twist.

I am hoping to shoot rather light bullets out of this rifle and I have had very good luck with berger bullets in almost every rifle I own. They post on there box of 80 grain bullets that the 1 in 12 twist will work but the 85 and 88 grain like a 1 in 10. Does any body have this cartridge in either twist rate, if so how does it preform. If no I guess I will just have to try both. No problem have two guns in the same caliber for different purposses Right?!

I am waiting on a 6x45 barrel for a savage. I ordered a 1:10 twist. My understanding is that going to a slower twist generally has the advantages of 1.)not tearing bullets apart 2.)slight increase in velocity 3.) a little longer throat life. 4.) very marginal increase in accuracy if you are benchrest
My opinion with this cartridge is that
1.) I didn't have problems tearing apart bullets in my 1:10 243 so I doubt I will have those problems with this rifle 2.) 6x45 is not that fast of a cartridge. If I were worried that much about velocity I would go with another chambering. 3.) the 6x45 is supposed to have real long barrel life so I am not concerned about this. 4.) Real world application you will see no accuracy difference.

The 80 gr bullets will shoot great in the 1:10 twist. If you want two guns go that route, but I would probably (and I am doing so) build the 6x45 in a 1:10 twist.

Thanks for the advice. Who are you getting your barrel from?