• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Short action to a magnum SA

CcoFirst

SLB
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2019
Biloxi
Changing a short action to a magnum short action. Is this just a bolt/ bolt face changout or is there more to it?

It will also require a major overhaul of the feed rails.

Dave if you were running the factory hinge floor plate bottom metal/follower, would you have to modify the feed rails if you took a short action in 6.5 creedmoor and opened the bolt face to magnum for the 6.5 PRC?

If you’re trying to fit PRC in there you’ll be making the magazine port longer too. I wanna say I had to open mine .100-.150” but I can’t remember exactly.

A lot needs to be done to the receiver if going to a PRC on a standard 308 based action:

1: Dave is correct in that the feed rails are not wide enough to allow the cartridge to pass through.
2: the feed ramp will also not allow the fat cartridge to properly feed from the mag well to the chamber. You must open the feed ramp up to accommodate the round. I have accomplished this using a 5/8” 4 flute endmill.
3: you will need to install a Wyatt’s extended magazine box and follower system, if running factory/aftermarket BDL bottom metal. This is the best method I have found that allows both the 143 and 147 factory Hornady ammo, or when loading long VLD type bullets.
4: if utilization of the factory bolt stop is your intention, you will need to modify it as well to allow for the extended mag box. You gotta get that bolt more rearward to pick up the cartridge. If doing all this work might I suggest just doing a side bolt release.
5: I also suggest opening up the rear of the ejection port (m40 type cuts) as well as doing an M16 extractor and dual ejectors. I have seen several shops doing this. It’s slick and kicks the brass out of the action with authority.

I am just a hobby guy, but I have seen enough of LRI’s work to know that they can accomplish any modifications with ease and professionalism. They have my vote to do custom work. These are my real world experiences that I have run into on my stuff. Hope this helps a little.
Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CcoFirst
Perhaps I will leave this rifle a std bolt face and 6.5 creedmoor. Gives me a reason to order one in magnum SA configuration!

A lot needs to be done to the receiver if going to a PRC on a standard 308 based action:

1: Dave is correct in that the feed rails are not wide enough to allow the cartridge to pass through.
2: the feed ramp will also not allow the fat cartridge to properly feed from the mag well to the chamber. You must open the feed ramp up to accommodate the round. I have accomplished this using a 5/8” 4 flute endmill.
3: you will need to install a Wyatt’s extended magazine box and follower system, if running factory/aftermarket BDL bottom metal. This is the best method I have found that allows both the 143 and 147 factory Hornady ammo, or when loading long VLD type bullets.
4: if utilization of the factory bolt stop is your intention, you will need to modify it as well to allow for the extended mag box. You gotta get that bolt more rearward to pick up the cartridge. If doing all this work might I suggest just doing a side bolt release.
5: I also suggest opening up the rear of the ejection port (m40 type cuts) as well as doing an M16 extractor and dual ejectors. I have seen several shops doing this. It’s slick and kicks the brass out of the action with authority.

I am just a hobby guy, but I have seen enough of LRI’s work to know that they can accomplish any modifications with ease and professionalism. They have my vote to do custom work. These are my real world experiences that I have run into on my stuff. Hope this helps a little.
Good Luck!!
Sounds like it may be better to get an action made for 6.5 PRC than wrench on a short action. Big Horn offers a short action and a long. I didn’t see a short magnum action from there selection. I was thinking APO SH in .308 and have the option to go 6.5 PRC if not too much modification is required

Sounds like it may be better to get an action made for 6.5 PRC than wrench on a short action. Big Horn offers a short action and a long. I didn’t see a short magnum action from there selection. I was thinking APO SH in .308 and have the option to go 6.5 PRC if not too much modification is required
When ordering from Bighorn you pick the action length (short or long) then pick the bolt head (.223, standard, magnum, or valkyrie/PPC) so yes they have a short action magnum option.

Reactions: CcoFirst
So when ordering an action with a magnum bolt face to say use for a 300 wsm or 7 saum, are all these things mentioned above already done to the action? For example like this one in the link below. Or is the a 6.5 prc issue.
I was planning to build a 7 saum with this action.

So when ordering an action with a magnum bolt face to say use for a 300 wsm or 7 saum, are all these things mentioned above already done to the action? For example like this one in the link below. Or is the a 6.5 prc issue.
I was planning to build a 7 saum with this action.

Call Jim at Northland, he will walk you through what you need. You'll have to order by phone anyhow.

Much of the modifications apply to some Rem 700 but not other actions. Most customs do not have feed lips in the action and all it takes is a bolt head swap on actions like Savage, ARC, Zermatt, etc.