• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Action

ryaninutah

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2011
Utah
This will seem like a dumb questions so most of you, but I'm new. I have a 300 WSM. If I wanted to convert if to a .308, could I do this simply by replacing the barrel, with them both being short actions? Or do I need to do something else?

Re: Short Action

You would need to either change the bolts or change the bolt face pending what action you are using. WSM has a .540 +/- bolt face and a .308 has a .470 +/- bolt face. So if you get that straightened out the yes you could just have it re barreled to .308.

If you are going to relace the barrel and bolt, just buy a new rifle. That way, it is what you need, and you now have two rifles. Win, win. The expense will be close to the same either way, but now you can mess with one and still have the other to use while you are waiting for the first to be worked on. The waiting will be either for parts, (new stock, trigger, etc), or smith work, (cut and crown, brake, coatings, etc), so you may as well have somthing to shoot till that's done. JMHO.

Thanks for your help everyone. I was wanting to go down to a .308 because of how much easier it is to find brass and better reloading equipment (example: I want better seating dies, and there are tons of choices for high end dies for .308, but 300 WSM has a smaller selection). I do like the added MV of the 300 over the .308, so I'll probably stick with it.