• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short barrel .308 help

DukeGSP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2019
I’ve currently got a rifle that I’m trying to dial in and hoping for some help to keep from chasing a issue since ammo is hard to find at the moment.

Picked up a model 12 FV a few years back on a Black Friday sale in .308 came with a 26” barrel at the time. I wanted something to throw in the truck and do whatever with.

Paid 275.00 after the rebate so figured I’ve wasted more money on dumber stuff so why not. I chopped the barrel down and rethreaded it at 16.5”. Dropped in it a Boyd’s and rocked on.

Believe it or not it was a sub MOA rifle before taking the barrel down to 16.5”. It shot a 150gr great. It doesn’t seem to like them anymore and I also tried 168 SMK’s. Same results. Shoots about 1.5 MOA now. I’m shooting it suppressed so wanted to know if there was anyone out there with a similar deal who has had good luck with something else. Thanks for the help.

Maybe the crown needs a lil work....... Threads may not be concentric to the bore as well. Does it shoot the same with the suppressor off? It is probably a 12 twist so the bullet weights you are testing should still be stable. If it straightens out a bit without the can, the threads maybe the issue. Bedding may help as well, since you are running it in a different stock. Do you still have the original stock? A guy could bolt it back in there and test.

Reactions: DukeGSP
Crank the weight up a bit. 175 gr or higher and see what it does

If you want to see what really changed just put it back in the old stock. If you have an issue you have an answer

the twist is 1:10. it shoots the same (group wise) with or without the suppressor. my next step was to go heavier from what I could somewhat gather from reading other articles online. just didn't know if anyone maybe had a little bit more solid starting point!

the stock is bedded. I never shot the rifle in the factory stock. the gunsmith who did it, recrown'd it after chopping it down. I'm hoping it's just an bullet issue.

I had a SBR bolt gun in .308 years ago and it would ONLY shoot a 168. it was a jagged hole but a 165 opened it up to 1" or worse.

I've only tried 150's and 168's so far. i'll see if I can track down some 175's!

175’s with 44.0 gr Varget Winchester brass + or - , 2.80 if it won’t shoot there you have other problems

I don’t reload but I will certainly try 175’s

Have you shot it without the suppressor? I'd at least start there, then try the old stock. Crown next.

the twist is 1:10. it shoots the same (group wise) with or without the suppressor.
Have you shot it without the suppressor? I'd at least start there, then try the old stock. Crown next.

reading is your friend...

But yeah, I still think bedding is going to help improve a lot, unless as mentioned, the crown job is inferior

I don’t reload but I will certainly try 175’s
If you don’t reload try to find some FGGM in either 175 or 185’s should work for you. You said you tried the 168’s but you didn’t say what kind. Every 308 that I have had or shot would hammer with FGGM 168. Good luck

If you don’t reload try to find some FGGM in either 175 or 185’s should work for you. You said you tried the 168’s but you didn’t say what kind. Every 308 that I have had or shot would hammer with FGGM 168. Good luck

they were 168 SMK's. i'll try and track some of them down! thank you sir.

No problem keep us posted as stated above I would check all the torque on the rifle again and I would clean the barrel and then foul it. My 308 takes 11 rounds before it settles back down after cleaning

Reactions: Slowroll
FWIW the fellow next to me at a class over the weekend was shooting an AX 308 with a short barrel (guessing 16”). He was super accurate with 175s

I had the same results when chopping a 26" Remington to 16.5. My subs shot fine, hypersonic were all over. Flat based bullets worked better and 178 amax reloads. One box brand that shot sub moa was the Hornady 150 American whitetail. They are flat based interlock type bullets in match brass.

That’s what I’m currently a shooting now. Not sub for me unfortunately. Maybe my expectations are too high lol.

Does anyone have any leads to where I might can’t find some 175’s?

Reactions: roggom
The subs I had were 200’s and they didn’t shoot very well with those.

That’s what I’m currently a shooting now. Not sub for me unfortunately. Maybe my expectations are too high lol.

Does anyone have any leads to where I might can’t find some 175’s?

Target sports has some Berger 185 juggs

Other than a mechanical problem, that 9+ inches really changed the accuracy of the barrel. Accuracy in that you have less pressure, less time down the barrel, less burned powder etc. Unfortunately you cant walk into Cabelas and grab boxes of ammo to try. I would suggest using this time to learn how to reload. You dont need anything super fancy, a RCBS kit with mechanical scale, some lee dippers or a powder measure, and 308 dies, calipers etc. Depending on the brass, you can get anywhere from 10-24 loads on each one. The tough thing to find right now is primers. Heck, if you get the kit, Ill send you various brass, and bullets to try.

I’ve currently got a rifle that I’m trying to dial in and hoping for some help to keep from chasing a issue since ammo is hard to find at the moment.

Picked up a model 12 FV a few years back on a Black Friday sale in .308 came with a 26” barrel at the time. I wanted something to throw in the truck and do whatever with.

Paid 275.00 after the rebate so figured I’ve wasted more money on dumber stuff so why not. I chopped the barrel down and rethreaded it at 16.5”. Dropped in it a Boyd’s and rocked on.

Believe it or not it was a sub MOA rifle before taking the barrel down to 16.5”. It shot a 150gr great. It doesn’t seem to like them anymore and I also tried 168 SMK’s. Same results. Shoots about 1.5 MOA now. I’m shooting it suppressed so wanted to know if there was anyone out there with a similar deal who has had good luck with something else. Thanks for the help.

my 18in 308 is 1/10 and it’s lights out with 175/155 hand load, suppressed and not suppressed.Reloading and load development is gonna be your friend
BB977913-BEE7-4F99-A64C-FF7ECBACA52D.jpeg

I’m trying to track down some 175’s as we speak. I’ll let y’all know what she does once I find some!

I’m trying to track down some 175’s as we speak. I’ll let y’all know what she does once I find some!
If you did reload, and wanted to test the pure accuracy of your rifle, I would recommend the Sierra 110 varmint bullet. Obviously it’s not for long range use, but all three of my 308’s (two of which are 16”) shoot this bullet into tiny holes. It is a very accurate bullet at 100 and it’s easy to shoot. It would be my proof round, so to speak.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
I would also mention the Hornady 110 GMX. It's a lead free copper varmint bullet, and it also has the addition of a boat tail. I use the 110 V-Max in my Savage 10FCM Scout chambered for 7.62x39, and it's very accurate. When the 110 V-Max isn't available, the GMX works well enough, too.

Greg