• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short barrel .308???

07zx6r

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Ft.Rucker AL
I am in the process of acquiring a Remington 5r in 308. I really want to use it as a basis for a compact 308. The gun will almost always be shot suppressed. My question is how short can I go and it still be effective. I plan on using it for no more than 600 yards. I was thinking about cutting the barrel down to either 16 or 18 inches.. Any input or experience would greatly appreciated.. thanks

Re: Short barrel .308???

I just got my barrel cut to 16.5" and put it on a Stevens 200 action. It'll be shot suppressed, and most of the time it'll be subs. It's still early in the build, I gotta get it in a stock, get a scope rail, bottom metal, pretty much everything so I can make it go bang.

Branden

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qKV-_D2d9ko&feature=plcp"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qKV-_D2d9ko&feature=plcp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

1200 yds, two shots, first shot I miss judged the wind, second shot hit. If you listen real close you can hear it after I raise my finger.

Im in the process of doing a 12" with a can.... We are expecting 500 yards and in.

That video sounds amazing.. How is the accuracy with the barrel that short.. 100 yds.. That was my biggest concern with going that short.

If you don't already have a smith lined up and since you live in Georgia, I recommend Accurate Ordnance in Winder. They cut and threaded my 308 at 18". Also made a thread protector and indexed the barrel to time with my brake. Good guys, fair prices and the wait was not long. Hide member BookHound is the owner, his name is Mark. Pm him for questions or details

I get 2450ish fps pretty easy with 175s from my 16 incher. That is 43g varget without pressure signs, so there is room in there if I want to push it a bit I think. Shoots great here though, so havent tried. Accuracy is just as good as any of the longer barrels I have shot.

I will say that it gets out of the safe more than the long long guns... You will probably find the same.

Go 16, it will be fine.

16" in 308 will serve you well. I donno why folks seem so reluctant to go short on a bolt gun when its been a proven winner on gas guns.

I have gone as short as 13" on a gas 308 and it shot well to 600 without issues but beyond that things started to drop off fast.