• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short barrel in 6 mm or similar in 16”-!8”

I have a Rem 700 .223 with a 16” barrel, it is great, need a little more POP. I know some cartridges have faster burn rates but I am just trying to find out all I can. I am supposing the next logical step will be reloading, but I’m not there yet.

What are you using it for? I have a 20" 243 ackley that runs 105s at 3k fps to fire form. Shots under half moa sd 13 for 20 shots. I use it as a late season suppressed coyote gun. 1100 yards is easy . My 223 ackley 16" 1-8 twist gets me to 800 pretty easy with 75 amax.

What are you using it for? I have a 20" 243 ackley that runs 105s at 3k fps to fire form. Shots under half moa sd 13 for 20 shots. I use it as a late season suppressed coyote gun. 1100 yards is easy . My 223 ackley 16" 1-8 twist gets me to 800 pretty easy with 75 amax.
Very similar application

Very similar application, I help with game management and predator control on ranches in South Texas, punch paper and get into some casual shooting competition. I am just getting to the point where I have time to pursue my passion which is accurate rifles, bolt guns particularly. Also just figuring out this Forum stuff, pardon me.

if you don't reload and you don't save fur. I would go with a 6.5 creed . Longer Barrel life and inexpensive match ammo.

Reactions: Boatninja
FWIW I have a 16” DT Covert .243 Win and Run 115 gr DTACs at 2821fps and same ammo in a SAC 22” runs 2900 so that gives you a bit of insight on the velocity loss with the shorter barrel.

Both guns perform well. Have taken many deer and antelope past 350 that dropped DRT and few coyotes out past 500 but lost two in a row last year that we’re shot between 500 and 600 yards saw the hit spun them around. Walk over and there is blood and they are gone. Guessing gut or ass shot them.

I just saw an article on Mr Ackley, I need to study up on his cartridges.

Very similar application, I help with game management and predator control on ranches in South Texas, punch paper and get into some casual shooting competition. I am just getting to the point where I have time to pursue my passion which is accurate rifles, bolt guns particularly. Also just figuring out this Forum stuff, pardon me.
6.5 Cr. is definitely in the mix, thanks. I have AR guns with short Barrels in .300 Bl and .22 Nosler, I use the .300 for hog specific hunts, usually spray and pray shots at running groups, fun but becomes expensive. Also .22 Nosler upper, not sure what the hoopla is about that one , a little more POP than .223 but certainly not a .22-250. I doubt that I will have anything else in AR format, just really like bolt guns. AR shooter/loader info is definitely welcome though, due to the fact that they tend to use shorter barrels.

I want to try a short 6mm based on the 6BR (probably just straight BR but Dasher would be fine too) for this exact purpose. I think it would be pretty efficient in a short barrel. I saw that Jered Joplin (APA) posted on instagram recently of a short barrel 6 Dasher rifle he's using for deer too.

Other than that I'd just step up to a 6.5mm. You can't beat a 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua and there's a good bit of data on these two in 16-18" barrels.

if you don't reload and you don't save fur. I would go with a 6.5 creed . Longer Barrel life and inexpensive match ammo.
I somehow replied to my own post while trying to reply to this. One of the gunsmiths I talked to said the 6.5 is a great round for short barrels due to faster powder burn, thus the comment on powder burn and my post. High on the list and I'm leaning towards the 6mm-6.5 cartridges, just a lot of choices there, he also wasn't too keen on standard .243 in shorter barrel. Thanks

I want to try a short 6mm based on the 6BR (probably just straight BR but Dasher would be fine too) for this exact purpose. I think it would be pretty efficient in a short barrel. I saw that Jered Joplin (APA) posted on instagram recently of a short barrel 6 Dasher rifle he's using for deer too.

Other than that I'd just step up to a 6.5mm. You can't beat a 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua and there's a good bit of data on these two in 16-18" barrels.
What is BR?

6mm BR is a clambering. It's 6mm Bench Rest, there there is also the 6 BRA which is an improved version of the BR. 6BRA is the bench rest Ackley!

Just googled it thanks, right now production ammo, I don't recall seeing 6mm BR on the shelf anywhere.

There's production ammo, you're just not likely to find it sitting on a shelf somewhere, but the same goes for any 6mm's besides 243. You're certainly not going to find 243 Ackley factory ammo anywhere so I'd cross that off your list. 6mm Creedmoor can be found at more specialized stores like Cabelas, or ordered online anywhere.

6mmBR ammo is available from Lapua, Norma, and HSM and is in stock online. The Lapua factory ammo although slightly pricey at $2/round is phenomenal ammo and will leave you with very high quality brass to either load or sell unlike the brass that the common factory match ammo leaves you with. You could shoot the ammo, sell the once fired brass easily for $.75/piece and spend the same or less per shot as 6mm Creedmoor would cost you and be shooting better quality ammo and bullets.

My Texas varmit gun is an 18” 7mm08. Used a 6mm Norma BR for a while but hated the barrel life and feeding issues. 1300 rounds and barrel was shot, lots of pigs killed. And it only liked Vita Virian powder. This is my second go around with the 7mm08 in this form. That’s how much I like it. New one is waiting on the barrel for the Big horn Origin action. I’m a short barrel person. 18” for my 308, 6.5, 7mm08, and .223. The 7mm08 for my purpose gives nothing up to the 6.5 at the distances I’m shooting worth talking about. But I do save barrel wear. Flatter than the 308, bucks wind better and way more authority than the .223. Just Incase something bigger walks out. If your dead set on a 6mm I would suggest the 6 CM or 243. No feeding issues and ammo is easy to find and reload for. Just don’t over look the little 7mm, it may surprise you. ELD-X bullets have shockingly high BCs in 7mm. Good luck and happy hunting.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 16.5” Light Palma profile barrel. Only shoot factory ammo so it’s not at maximum performance, it’s still a real solid hunting rifle out to 600 or so with 140’s. It is very compact, and a real joy to carry around in the truck.

Thank's guys, I'm leaning towards the 6-6.5mm stuff, just for more input from my end, the ranches I am shooting on are mostly High fence ranches that range from a few hundred acre family type places to over 10,000 acre trophy ranches. Long shots for deer are a no-no due to problems with making accurate evaluations, ( shooting a nubbin buck that might turn into a monster would be grounds for being run off forever) and most shots are neck shots so light accurate calibers are great. Hogs and predators take any shot no matter how far, thus short barrel, to get it out the window of blind or truck fast. I also am suppressing everything now, on smaller high fence ranches it is less alarming to other deer. I have a 6mm Cr with a 22" barrel that is as good as it gets accuracy wise but add a can and it is LONG. The casual shooting competitions run from punching paper and ringing steel to wagering on who can hit closest to the left ear or something similar. Most of the high fence places have aggressive game management programs, removing large numbers of does and inferior bucks according to what the nutrition of the range can support as recommended by Biologists and approved by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. The answer might be a shorter barrel in same caliber. Keep it coming, so much wisdom and experience here and I am soaking it up like a sponge.

Thank's guys, I'm leaning towards the 6-6.5mm stuff, just for more input from my end, the ranches I am shooting on are mostly High fence ranches that range from a few hundred acre family type places to over 10,000 acre trophy ranches. Long shots for deer are a no-no due to problems with making accurate evaluations, ( shooting a nubbin buck that might turn into a monster would be grounds for being run off forever) and most shots are neck shots so light accurate calibers are great. Hogs and predators take any shot no matter how far, thus short barrel, to get it out the window of blind or truck fast. I also am suppressing everything now, on smaller high fence ranches it is less alarming to other deer. I have a 6mm Cr with a 22" barrel that is as good as it gets accuracy wise but add a can and it is LONG. The casual shooting competitions run from punching paper and ringing steel to wagering on who can hit closest to the left ear or something similar. Most of the high fence places have aggressive game management programs, removing large numbers of does and inferior bucks according to what the nutrition of the range can support as recommended by Biologists and approved by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. The answer might be a shorter barrel in same caliber. Keep it coming, so much wisdom and experience here and I am soaking it up like a sponge.

All of this sounds like you're possibly in the southern region of Texas? I too will get to hunt this upcoming season in a MDP 15,000 acre high fence ranch. Really excited about that.

Anyhow, I typically think of 6mm options to perform better in longer barrels. Not that they don't work in short ones. However, 6.5 CM already has some data out there in short barrels, and it's looking really good so far. I'd probably do a 16.5 inch 6.5 creedmoor or maybe even an 18 inch!

I was thinking a 6x45 as well, but thought he said he doesn't reload. A 6x45 shooting heavy bullets is pretty fun. Given his requirements, I would go with the 6.5CM as well. I run 123 gr's in my 18" around 2800 FPS.
35637750271_43aa36ee4a_b.jpg

I was thinking a 6x45 as well, but thought he said he doesn't reload. A 6x45 shooting heavy bullets is pretty fun. Given his requirements, I would go with the 6.5CM as well. I run 123 gr's in my 18" around 2800 FPS.
35637750271_43aa36ee4a_b.jpg
-
Ya NO Handloading and you kind of pinned yourself in a corner . 6BR very efficient on the powder burn with the shorter barrels and still keeping the Velocity up, especially using the right powder on the hand loads . 6x45 is great also choice .
So if going 6mm and factory box ammo . kind of limited yourself to 6CM , 6Rem or 243 .

My Texas varmit gun is an 18” 7mm08. Used a 6mm Norma BR for a while but hated the barrel life and feeding issues. 1300 rounds and barrel was shot, lots of pigs killed. And it only liked Vita Virian powder. This is my second go around with the 7mm08 in this form. That’s how much I like it. New one is waiting on the barrel for the Big horn Origin action. I’m a short barrel person. 18” for my 308, 6.5, 7mm08, and .223. The 7mm08 for my purpose gives nothing up to the 6.5 at the distances I’m shooting worth talking about. But I do save barrel
My Texas varmit gun is an 18” 7mm08. Used a 6mm Norma BR for a while but hated the barrel life and feeding issues. 1300 rounds and barrel was shot, lots of pigs killed. And it only liked Vita Virian powder. This is my second go around with the 7mm08 in this form. That’s how much I like it. New one is waiting on the barrel for the Big horn Origin action. I’m a short barrel person. 18” for my 308, 6.5, 7mm08, and .223. The 7mm08 for my purpose gives nothing up to the 6.5 at the distances I’m shooting worth talking about. But I do save barrel wear. Flatter than the 308, bucks wind better and way more authority than the .223. Just Incase something bigger walks out. If your dead set on a 6mm I would suggest the 6 CM or 243. No feeding issues and ammo is easy to find and reload for. Just don’t over look the little 7mm, it may surprise you. ELD-X bullets have shockingly high BCs in 7mm. Good luck and happy hunting.
wear. Flatter than the 308, bucks wind better and way more authority than the .223. Just Incase something bigger walks out. If your dead set on a 6mm I would suggest the 6 CM or 243. No feeding issues and ammo is easy to find and reload for. Just don’t over look the little 7mm, it may surprise you. ELD-X bullets have shockingly high BCs in 7mm. Good luck and happy hunting.
Ok, I have a .223 Rem 700, 16" barrel with suppressor and the 6mm Cr 22" is just unwieldy in the blind and truck, but a hands down winner at the range.

-
Ya NO Handloading and you kind of pinned yourself in a corner . 6BR very efficient on the powder burn with the shorter barrels and still keeping the Velocity up, especially using the right powder on the hand loads . 6x45 is great also choice .
So if going 6mm and factory box ammo . kind of limited yourself to 6CM , 6Rem or 243 .
I have the 6mm covered, you guys have me convinced on 6.5 ish, maybe 7mm, need to talk twist rates. This is gonna be my last rifle (wink wink)

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 16.5” Light Palma profile barrel. Only shoot factory ammo so it’s not at maximum performance, it’s still a real solid hunting rifle out to 600 or so with 140’s. It is very compact, and a real joy to carry around in the truck.
Can you post a picture of your rifle?

Thanks

-
I can see that I'm gonna have to start reloading, dammit, I have a little more time to pursue it now. I have 6mm covered.

I was trying to reply to everyone but got lost, Ya'll have my head spinning, this is certainly a way to get a lot of info fast. My brother has a 6.5 Cr with a 20 inch barrel that he wishes he would have gone shorter. Ok I'm thinking 6.5 something with a 16" to 18" barrel. Cartridge and twist rates next? Like I posted earlier THIS IS MY LAST RIFLE! so I have to get it right. I have a Mausingfield action with a Barloc barrel change system, currently with a 6mm Creedmore barrel, so I just need a barrel, short . I currently have a .223 16", love it just not enough POP. Then .17 Rem centerfire, 220 swift this one has been responsible for the demise of uncountable furry creatures , .243, 6mm Creedmore, .25-35 Win. lever, .270, 2- .308's, and 7mm Mag, all with 24"-26" barrels all sub MOA rifles. So it is blatantly obvious that I need a 6.5! My wife even agrees.
BTW I have a Steyr SSG69 in .308 and a Sako L61R that are for sale, I just can't shoot them anymore due to back injuries and need to buy reloading equipment.

I was trying to reply to everyone but got lost, Ya'll have my head spinning, this is certainly a way to get a lot of info fast. My brother has a 6.5 Cr with a 20 inch barrel that he wishes he would have gone shorter. Ok I'm thinking 6.5 something with a 16" to 18" barrel. Cartridge and twist rates next? Like I posted earlier THIS IS MY LAST RIFLE! so I have to get it right. I have a Mausingfield action with a Barloc barrel change system, currently with a 6mm Creedmore barrel, so I just need a barrel, short . I currently have a .223 16", love it just not enough POP. Then .17 Rem centerfire, 220 swift this one has been responsible for the demise of uncountable furry creatures , .243, 6mm Creedmore, .25-35 Win. lever, .270, 2- .308's, and 7mm Mag, all with 24"-26" barrels all sub MOA rifles. So it is blatantly obvious that I need a 6.5! My wife even agrees.
BTW I have a Steyr SSG69 in .308 and a Sako L61R that are for sale, I just can't shoot them anymore due to back injuries and need to buy reloading equipment.
The Sako L61R is a 7mm Mag

All of this sounds like you're possibly in the southern region of Texas? I too will get to hunt this upcoming season in a MDP 15,000 acre high fence ranch. Really excited about that.

Anyhow, I typically think of 6mm options to perform better in longer barrels. Not that they don't work in short ones. However, 6.5 CM already has some data out there in short barrels, and it's looking really good so far. I'd probably do a 16.5 inch 6.5 creedmoor or maybe even an 18 inch!
Yes, the brush country, generally Cotulla area. I have guided trophy hunters and worked years ago on some of the first ranchs to high fence, developing trust with ranch owners for 40 years to shoot the right stuff. I think you guys are right,on the 6.5 rifles, now I’m thinking since I have a 6mm cr the heavier bullets of the 6.5s. Now I need to study up on twist rates, I’m ordering a barrel asap, so maybe have it before the season is over. I just finished my dream build last week, American Rifle Company Mausingfield action, 6mm Cr

What area, county Town or Ranch name inTexas?
with Barloc barrel change system so I can change barrels in minutes. The rifle was shooting less than half MOA groups at 300 yds. I’m going 18” max, .260 Rem, 6.5 Cr, what else should I consider? And also I broke my back 2 years ago and have stopped shooting my .308, It is amazing what I feel after shooting a box of ammo through it.

Shit, you want a short rifle, get one. I love my 16” 223 bolt and even though really it’s only a target gun I still went short because of how handy it is, especially with a can considered.

I would get an 8 twist as it will handle whatever you could want. I would personally go for the 120-130 class bullets. For long range the heavier would be better but for killing stuff while driving around, the 120s would be more than adequate and would kick less on your shoulder.

Magpul stock, Vortex 5-25x50 scope, AIC Mausingfield action Barloc, Criterion 6mm 21” barrel, Silencerco Harvester suppressor.
FCA83859-16D4-4087-B565-2F705FE16FAD.jpeg

Shit, you want a short rifle, get one. I love my 16” 223 bolt and even though really it’s only a target gun I still went short because of how handy it is, especially with a can considered.

I would get an 8 twist as it will handle whatever you could want. I would personally go for the 120-130 class bullets. For long range the heavier would be better but for killing stuff while driving around, the 120s would be more than adequate and would kick less on your shoulder.[/QUO

I have 14-18 inch barrel set-ups in a lot of cartridges: 22 Creed, 6 Dasher, 6mm Long Dasher, 6x45, 6x47, 6x47 Lapua, 243 Winchester, 6XC, 6 Creed, 6.5x47 Lapua, 260 Remington, 6.5 Creed, 6.5-284, WSM, SAUM, 6.5-06, soon to be a 6.5 Nosler, 7-08, 284 Winchester, 7mm Rem Mag Improved, 7 SAUM, 7 WSM, 7 LRM, 7 Dakota...........etc., etc., etc....
Choose a certain barrel length you want, then choose the performance level you want (FPS with a said bullet weight), and then just go up in chambering size until you get what you want....It is that simple