• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Barrel Stock

ivillarreal

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2012
So about to start a build and the stock that I ordered is a HS Precision short barrel rem. BDL. Stock. Q: (this might sound dumb) I’m torn between 24” or 22” barrel length. The stock is 28.72”. Will the 24” barrel have too much over hang on stock, if that’s such a thing, effecting stability and accuracy?

What is the rifle chambered for and what bullet are you planning to use, What is your max intended range and what do you want the bullet to do when it gets ther? If it’s fully floated and sitting in a bedding block, I doubt you’ll see much issue with stability, it will look a little goofy since that stock has a short forend, meant for 16-18” barrels with suppressors and it may need some buttstock weight added due to the location of the bipod. most hunting rifles from the 50’s to now had 22 or 24” barrels hung on them so probably not an issue with the barrel and receiver threads. I’m Not sure what cartridge you’re using or what ranges you intend to shoot but you will get a higher muzzle velocity and a little less noise out of the 24” barrel which may be useful for long shots, but it makes for a heavier and longer rifle especially with a heavy barrel profile. Longer barrels are also not ideal inside a blind or stand if you have multiple shooting lanes to cover.

What is the rifle chambered for and what bullet are you planning to use, What is your max intended range and what do you want the bullet to do when it gets ther? If it’s fully floated and sitting in a bedding block, I doubt you’ll see much issue with stability, it will look a little goofy since that stock has a short forend, meant for 16-18” barrels with suppressors and it may need some buttstock weight added due to the location of the bipod. most hunting rifles from the 50’s to now had 22 or 24” barrels hung on them so probably not an issue with the barrel and receiver threads. I’m Not sure what cartridge you’re using or what ranges you intend to shoot but you will get a higher muzzle velocity and a little less noise out of the 24” barrel which may be useful for long shots, but it makes for a heavier and longer rifle especially with a heavy barrel profile. Longer barrels are also not ideal inside a blind or stand if you have multiple shooting lanes to cover.

6.5 Creedmoor. Mostly target practice out to 1000yrd. but will hunt with it also, so need some knock down power. Texas small doe and hogs. Remington Varmint contour

If you don’t think you’ll be walking around with it for mile after mile, go with the 24” tube, the velocity gain is helpful, but you might want to play around with a ballistics app and see how low of a muzzle velocity will get you to 1000, you might find you can get away with a considerably shorter barrel. I read an article that showed a 147 grain ELD match fired from an18” tube. at a MV of 2505 FPS was still supersonic out to 1300 4dof confirms that should work, would still give you the mythical 1000 ft-lbs of energy out to around 600 yards, and you would be just on the ragged edge of minimum expansion velocity for most 147 grain hunting bullets at that distance. I would think that any barrel from 18-24” would suite what you’re wanting to do, the added speed from the longer barrel would probably help some in the wind at 1300.

Reactions: ivillarreal