• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Short Barreled .243 + Flash Hider

UCChris

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2014
Utah, USA
Ok, so I'm cutting my Ruger American Predator's barrel down to 16.5" for a light brush gun for coyotes and deer under 300 meters. I'm going to do load development with fast burning powders so that I don't create a three foot flame... However, I doubt that I will be able to get rid of all of the muzzle blast, so I was thinking about a flash hider to hide that last little bit when shooting at dusk/dawn (and partly because I want it for tacticool/asthetic/muzzle protection reasons).

Can I go with something simple like this?

AR-10 Bird Cage A2 Flash Hider LBE Unlimited

Thanks!

You would serve yourself well to use a SF Socom flash hider if they make one in 6.8
My 5.56 Socom hider is extremely impressive, even on my 11.5" SBR, I get little to no flash.

They make one in 6.8. But $130 vs $25. I'm not terribly worried about not seeing any flash. It's really more of a muzzle protection device as I am dragging it through thick sagebrush more often than not.

Last edited:
They make one in 6.8. But $130 vs $25. I'm not terribly worried about not seeing any flash. It's really more of a muzzle protection device as I am dragging it through thick sagebrush more often than not.

Understandable. They can be had for less, sometimes around $90 new. They really, really work though. Good luck with your endeavors and at the least, a good bird cage will work fairly well.

Looks like am fal bit. Start with picking a thread pattern and go from there. Easiest way to start process of elimination. The vortex style works very well.

UCCHRIS - i've just got the urge to do almost the same as you, but keeping at 18". it may be a little while before i have rifle in hand, you mind sharing your recipe?

i ran some JBM calcs on 58's, 65's, 75's, 87's, 100's - it appears for the guestimate of what the FPS may be with a shorter barrel, the 87's seem to not give up much but gains a ton in wind (I ran 15MPH 3:00).

i was thinking IMR3031 or 4198, H414, W760, CFE223 or superformance for powders, i don't know if that's what you will or are working with.

you have any FPS data recipes currently @ 18"?

I haven't done any load testing yet TOP PREDATOR. I only got the gun on Saturday. And I'm ordering the scope for my Christmas present. So it'll be a while yet until I get this project really rolling.

I'm not well versed in reloading yet. I have only been looking into it about a month and I am planning on ordering myself a reloading kit with my Christmas bonus. My plan was to use IMR4350 and load it as light as possible, while still retaining 2500+ fps. I am going to be using 95 grain Berger VLD Classics.

I read somewhere (done so many hours of research that I can't remember where) that there was a guy getting 2500 fps out of a 16" .243 with 100 grain bullets. Since I'll be going lighter, and an ever-so-slightly longer barrel, I should hit my 2500+ threshold no problem. All my calculations say that I should be able to get up to 2700-2800 fps using a fast powder. I don't know that IMR4350 is fast enough, but it is what I plan to use since it is easily found.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply.

i did the same as you tto, researching too many forums spending way too much time finding info on a short barrel .243, each one contridicting the other.

if it is any help, i was satisfied using imr4064 in my .308 when it was 22" getting 2950 fps on a not quite max load with 110's. cut it to 17", could only muster 2400.

went to imr4198, back up to 2900+, so you will most likely have to get quicker powder.

i'll shoot you a PM, as i'll probably forget where this thread is and the PM will be easier to find, perhaps early next year we can exchange notes.

in a way, in the back of my mind it's kind of counter productive to cut down a .243, but with the right powder bullet combo i don't think much would be lost.

if not too worried about flash, perhaps looking into a brake will work for what you want to accomplish - on my rem 700 .243 26", hits are easily seen through the optic.

I get what you mean about it seeming counter productive. I want a short, light brush gun. So a short barreled Ruger American Predator checks that perfectly. I also want a cheap cartridge that has good external ballistics, in addition to being soft shooting. The .243 fit the bill perfectly, but it does seem to struggle with a short barrel. As long as I hit 2500 fps, I will have the power to take small game out to 500 meters and medium sized game out to 200 meters. Even though I can easily shoot over a mile in my terrain, that's good enough for me! I am going to build a custom 7mm-08 for the long range stuff. Haha, so addicted!

I hear what you are saying about a brake. I am going to get one with a portion of my paycheck on Friday.