• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

short barreled 6.5x47L

RanchhandTCR

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Williams, AZ
So I have been dabeling into running 18" bolt guns with a surpressor for the past year. My current set up is a 18" 6.5 creedmoore. Its been a decent shooter but never got the accuracy like i do with my match 260, 6.5X47L and 6xc's that ive ran in the past.
Ive shot local matchs and place in the top 20% with it. Main reason i built this was to be a handy pack do it all rifle. I current shoot 130gn TMK's at 2780fps with a TBAC 9. Ive gotten 2840 fps with RL26 but ive run out and its impossible to get so i am back to H4350. Anyhow this barrel is about to be replaced and was considering going to a 6.5x47L but seems anemic but i am missing the ease of reloading that cartridge and its excellent accuracy. Has anyone played with a short barreled 6.5 x47 and have good success and what velocities did you get?

I have a 16.5” Q Fix in 6.5x 47L. I love it, it’s very accurate, but its slow. If you’re concerned about speed I wouldn’t be going smaller on the cartridge size. I also wouldn’t blame your accuracy on the cartridge. Maybe your barrel is a dud, or some other issue perhaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: RanchhandTCR
I have a 16.5” robert gradous build in6.5x47 lapua, it shoots 130 grain bullets around 2720

I had a 6.5x47 with an 18" brux a few years back. Mostly shot 130 VLDs and got great accuracy with both H4350 and Varget right around 2675-2700. I tried RL-17 and got some great speeds, north of 2800, but accuracy wasn't quite there at those speeds.

I did work up a great hunting load with RL-17 and the 120 ballistic tip right at 2850 and very accurate. Never played with anything heavier than 130.

Reactions: RanchhandTCR
22" with berger hybrid 130 otm and 2880 and Varget with no load workup and very pleased with only one seating depth tried. Wanted simplicity and do not plan on changing.

Attachments

• Resized_20200801_115237 (1).jpeg
    Resized_20200801_115237 (1).jpeg
    898 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Cjl2010
130s at 2700ish and 123s at 2800ish is what an 18” 6.5x47 will net you. If you’re already set for 6.5CM there is no reason to switch to a 6.5x47. It can be pushed to match the 6.5CM but at the end of the day if you’re going after a target speed I’d rather have the extra powder capacity. JMO. I only own a 6.5x47 we don’t have a 6.5CM. Short 6.5s are a handy little rig though

I cut my 22" down to 18" at 2000 rounds to see what length I wanted when I rebarrelled. It went from 2850 with 130s to 2730. I really like how handy it is with my Omega and pretty much only hunt with it now. I will probably split the difference when I put a new barrel on but it still shoots awesome with 2300 rounds on it.
20200229_065949.jpg

Last edited:
130s at 2700ish and 123s at 2800ish is what an 18” 6.5x47 will net you. If you’re already set for 6.5CM there is no reason to switch to a 6.5x47. It can be pushed to match the 6.5CM but at the end of the day if you’re going after a target speed I’d rather have the extra powder capacity. JMO. I only own a 6.5x47 we don’t have a 6.5CM. Short 6.5s are a handy little rig though
I have everything for both including brass just trying to weigh accuracy vs velocity at this point. But wanted first hand rear world results not Quick Load results

I have everything for both including brass just trying to weigh accuracy vs velocity at this point. But wanted first hand rear world results not Quick Load results

I ran 130s at 2715 and 123s up to 2840. I think accuracy would be fine for either. I'm assuming this is sort of a light weight build for Hunting or some application with length restriction and needed mobility? For competition there would be no reason to handicap yourself if that is the sole purpose of the rig. Both make a handy little hunting package. Though with the advent of carbon barrels you can now easily have a 8~12lb hunting rifle with the length but i get it either way. I like shorter compact rifles especially when accounting for the added length of a can. Though i've even gone shorter with the cans too at this point.

I ran 130s at 2715 and 123s up to 2840. I think accuracy would be fine for either. I'm assuming this is sort of a light weight build for Hunting or some application with length restriction and needed mobility? For competition there would be no reason to handicap yourself if that is the sole purpose of the rig. Both make a handy little hunting package. Though with the advent of carbon barrels you can now easily have a 8~12lb hunting rifle with the length but i get it either way. I like shorter compact rifles especially when accounting for the added length of a can. Though i've even gone shorter with the cans too at this point.
I do shoot local matchs with these rigs
I do use them in matchs to become more proficient with the rifle. Actually quiet enjoy it, shooting matchs with a 20lb 6mm was getting boreing for me. But the short length is definitely so i can run a can on and still take big game at 500-600 yards. Ive been out to 1400 with this current set up with reallt good consistency, not perfect but not major spread either. I just loved how maintenance free 6.5x47 was.

I have had a couple of x47's. Its a great cartridge. But in a short barrel it's got to be anemic. IMO its an efficient cartridge meant to run in the slower side for max accuracy and barrel life. Trying to jack it up to match another 6.5 cartridge just kinda ruins it.

I grew up on my dads farm hunting with a 30-30. After about 15yrs in the military, 13yrs of it overseas, I moved back to the states and hunted in dads farm again. I started off with a 6.5 SAUM. Stupid. Talk about blown out meat. Then I went to a 243AI. Also dumb. Then I bought a Howa Mini in 6.5G. Just for kicks. Took it hunting. It was perfect for whitetail. Perfect expansion. No blown up meat. The following year I took a 6 Creed shooting 90gr TGK's at 3050fps. Because I'm dumb and have to learn lessons twice. I shot 4 deer that year. 3 in the head so there were no issues. The last one I shot in the body. The first round didn't do anything. The second round grenaded. It blew up a lot of meat.

This last spring, I took the rifle pictured above and shot 2 hogs and 4 whitetail in TX. Perfect performance everytime. Both hogs were at 350yds and 3 of the deer were as well. The last one was 100- something and I brained him as well. I now favor slower bullet for hunting. Id like to replace the 6 Creed barrel on my hunting rifle with a 6.5. Proof offers a 20" 6.5 Creed but I don't own a 6.5 Creed yet and would rather hunt with a spear than be a Creemore shooter. A 6.5x47L would be perfect. Get down to 2650 - 2700 in a light short package. Expand the bullet in the right shot placement vs blowing it up. Would a 6.5 Creed do the same thing? Haaaa....yes. It would.... But a 6.5x47L would be so much cooler.

And a short PPC round is also cool. Especially in a full size action.

6.5G 100gr Nosler BT recovered out of a whitetail
View attachment 7406502
90gr Sierra TGK at 30yds
View attachment 7406503
View attachment 7406504

View attachment 7406505
Appreciate the input. Definitely an interesting thought. Im a fan of projectile feagmenting but not over pentrating. I also own a 300 PRC hunting rig. I built this 18" thinking id only use it here and there and its been my go to for pretty much everything including shooting local matchs. Most of my hunting engagement are between 200 and 400yards so a 6.5x47L should suffice.