• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

short barrelled 338LM

craines51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2005
Gainesville, Georgia
possibly going to build a 338LM, but would like to go with a short barrel setup.
what is the shortest barrel anyone is running without seriously dimenishing the long range capability of the gun?

Re: short barrelled 338LM

The 20" gives up a little velocity, so it complicates the wind and range problem compared to a longer barrel. My handload lost about 200fps from the 27" to the 20".

Presuming Metro Std conditions, at 1600 yards you are at transsonic with the 250gr Lapua at 3000fps, 1400 yards with the 20" gun at 2800fps.

At 1400, you need 15 mils up with the 20" gun and about 1.8 mil windage for 5mph. The 27" gun needs only 12.2 mil elevation and 1.6 mil windage. That's about 10" differance in wind.

Unless space is a real problem, I'd always take the longer barrel in the big magnums. It's hard enough out past 1K in the first place, why make it any more difficult?

I have a AI AWSM with a 20" barrel and my buddy has a few with 20" barrels. I love the rifle and would not go back to a longer barrel. I am at 8.7 mil at 1k using the 300 smk. We have shot our rifles to much further distances with no problems.

Honestly I set up my rifle to be a 1k hunting rifle, I did not want all the extra weight and length of a longer barrel.

Seems like to me that if your going to go with the big magnums its not one you want to be toting around the woods anyway. You will be sitting on a ridge glassing for the "long" shot. So what are a few more inches difference. But thats just me, I am having the 7mm mag built at 26". Also more weight is going to help with the beating you will take in recoil to push those large grain bullets and to stabilize your shooting position.

I've got a .338 Norma Mag on a Badger M2008 action that I bought from another member here. I'm thinking of having another barrel for it chambered in .338LM but in a 22", honestly I don't think I'll lose all that much for what I do with it. I love short barreled rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinnypitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like to me that if your going to go with the big magnums its not one you want to be toting around the woods anyway. You will be sitting on a ridge glassing for the "long" shot. So what are a few more inches difference. But thats just me, I am having the 7mm mag built at 26". Also more weight is going to help with the beating you will take in recoil to push those large grain bullets and to stabilize your shooting position. </div></div>

Actually I usually hunt out of my truck so the length does matter when you are trying to manuever it in the truck.Even out of a hunting blind long barrels kinda suck. I can also shoot pretty damn far with my 20" .338 lapua. As far as power it will trump the 7mm mag with any barrel length you put on it.

nolo and Cory:

If I may ask, what are the loads you are using in the shorter barrels? Which powders have you found to be most effective in short barrels?

I'm waiting on delivery of a .338 LM with a 20" barrel, and have built loads for 250 and 300 gr. Scenars with RL 25, H-1000, and a slightly quicker powder (which shall remain nameless, lest I induce apoplexy in some ELR regulars), and will do the same with Retumbo and US869 when I can get some. I'll burn a lot of powder and bullets sorting through all this, so any specifics about short barrel powders would certainly be appreciated.

Why even bother with a cart like the 338LM,just use a 45-70 and be done with it.The big 338 Mags are meant to be used to the utmost of their range,to push it to the limit.I use a 28" barrel on my 338 EDGE and still question if I should not have gone with a 30".To each his own I guess,

for a shorter 338 LM, why not just buy a Desert Tactical Arms 338 Lapua Magnum with an overall length of just 37.5"?

guns-accurate.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why even bother with a cart like the 338LM,just use a 45-70 and be done with it.The big 338 Mags are meant to be used to the utmost of their range,to push it to the limit.I use a 28" barrel on my 338 EDGE and still question if I should not have gone with a 30".To each his own I guess, </div></div>

What kinda limit are you talking about? What kinda limit do you think that a 20" .338 is capable of? Just curious what you think. Like I said I use mine for a 1000 yard sledge hammer. But I can go way further out. You would be surprised how far we have pushed them. A 45/70 does not even come close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: headwaters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nolo and Cory:

If I may ask, what are the loads you are using in the shorter barrels? Which powders have you found to be most effective in short barrels?

I'm waiting on delivery of a .338 LM with a 20" barrel, and have built loads for 250 and 300 gr. Scenars with RL 25, H-1000, and a slightly quicker powder (which shall remain nameless, lest I induce apoplexy in some ELR regulars), and will do the same with Retumbo and US869 when I can get some. I'll burn a lot of powder and bullets sorting through all this, so any specifics about short barrel powders would certainly be appreciated.
</div></div>

Buy a bunch of Retumbo!! PM me for load info.

You don't really lose as much as you think with the short barrels. If you are shooting F-Class or something, every 20-40 fps per inch helps, but shooting steel or animals it won't make a dramatic change. This has been my experience

I have a Kreiger 23" barrel on my Patriot Arms 338LM and am getting 2707FPS with 300gr SMK's. I have tried Retumbo, RL25, and H1000. The H1000 gives me the most consistent speed, usually 2707 every time. The other powders in my gun had too much speed variation. I think accuracy is the most important thing not a few more fps. I didn't have the gun built myself or I would have built it with al longer barrel, I figured I would rebarrel it after I bought it, but it turns out I am very happy with it.

Hmm...I wonder if DTA will do a 22" .338LM barrel?
wink.gif

I was half kidding. I already have a standard length .338LM SRS and don't really see a need for a shorter barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why even bother with a cart like the 338LM,just use a 45-70 and be done with it.The big 338 Mags are meant to be used to the utmost of their range,to push it to the limit.I use a 28" barrel on my 338 EDGE and still question if I should not have gone with a 30".To each his own I guess, </div></div>

What kinda limit are you talking about? What kinda limit do you think that a 20" .338 is capable of? Just curious what you think. Like I said I use mine for a 1000 yard sledge hammer. But I can go way further out. You would be surprised how far we have pushed them. A 45/70 does not even come close. </div></div>

Actually,you said you mainly hunt out of your truck,and it is incoveinient shooting from a blind,I can't think of many LR hunting scenarios that you hop out of a truck and nail them with your "1000 Yard Sledgehammer". I'm throwing the BS Flag on this one.

B.S. Flag!! Have you ever been to South Texas assbag? Do you know what a Sendero is? I usually shoot out of the window. Your truck does have windows doesnt it? I also always carry a shooting mat with me if the oportunity comes up for really long distances.

You dont have to take my word for it. Jered Joplin is coming down to my buddies ranch to hunt in a few weeks. You can ask him how far you can stretch your rifle here. There has also been several other people that have stopped at my buddy Tom's ranch before going to one of the big matches in the valley.Maybe they will chime in on the 2300 yard range we have access to.I shoot to at least 1k usually weekly. Know what the hell you are talking about before opening your pie hole!

But now that we are on the subject maybe you can shed some light on us Bullshitters that dont know shit. Tell us all about what we are doing wrong with are short rifles. Tell me all about your infinite wisdom on long rifles. What do you shoot? Where do you shoot? How far have you shot? How often do you shoot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B.S. Flag!! Have you ever been to South Texas assbag? Do you know what a Sendero is? I usually shoot out of the window. Your truck does have windows doesnt it? I also always carry a shooting mat with me if the oportunity comes up for really long distances.

You dont have to take my word for it. Jered Joplin is coming down to my buddies ranch to hunt in a few weeks. You can ask him how far you can stretch your rifle here. There has also been several other people that have stopped at my buddy Tom's ranch before going to one of the big matches in the valley.Maybe they will chime in on the 2300 yard range we have access to.I shoot to at least 1k usually weekly. Know what the hell you are talking about before opening your pie hole!

But now that we are on the subject maybe you can shed some light on us Bullshitters that dont know shit. Tell us all about how we are wrong with are short rifles. Tell me all about your infinite wisdom on long rifles. What do you shoot? Where do you shoot? How far have you shot. </div></div>

Let's here more of the specs on the 338 SBR's that get fired to 1000 yds and beyond accurately on a daily basis.Who builds these rifles? Never heard of a reputable LR rifle builder making a 338LM in 20" and telling you it is GTG.Once again the BS flag.I actually bought my muzzle brake from Jered,never did discuss how short we could go with a 338 magnum.Funny that I don't hear about many guys that build a 338LM or EDGE with a 20" bbl,you have fun with yours

You better ask Jered who builds these rifles. You might be surprised who built them. Unless you dont consider him a reputable rifle builder.

But again I am still waiting to hear of your infinite wisdom. Please enlighten us oh great shooting guru of long barreled rifles. What the hell do you shoot? Do you actually own a rifle? Do you even own a .338?

Anytime you want to come down and show us how to shoot you would be welcomed. Bring your rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You better ask Jered again who builds these rifles. You might be surprised who built them.

But again I am still waiting to hear of your infinite wisdom. Please enlighten us oh great shooting guru of long barreled rifles. </div></div>
No infinite wisdom,I lean towards the philosophy of Shawn Carlock,who Popularized the 338 EDGE,it is a LR cart.period.He uses the 30" barrel almost exclusively.I can't help it if a clown like you jumps out of his truck and kills animals on a regular basis at OVER 1000 yards with a short barreled rifle.probably with iron sights also

Damn! I never said I jumped out of my truck and shot to 1k with my rifle. It would be very hard with my camo clown costume and iron sights are even harder wearing my clown nose. Shawn Carlock Philosophy huh, so in other words you dont know shit! All you know is what you have read on the internet and are spewing back out here.

Once again what do you shoot,where and at what distance? Who the fuck said anything about a .338 edge? I dont remember the original poster asking you about your infinite internet wisdom on the .338 edge. Maybe you should go outside and keep practicing with your 30" barreled pellet gun and stop posting on what you know nothing about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn! I never said I jumped out of my truck and shot to 1k with my rifle. It would be very hard with my camo clown costume and iron sights are even harder wearing my clown nose. Shawn Carlock Philosophy huh, so in other words you dont know shit! All you know is what you have read on the internet and are spewing back out here.

Once again what do you shoot,where and at what distance? Who the fuck said anything about a .338 edge? I dont remember the original poster asking you about your infinite internet wisdom on the .338 edge. Maybe you should go outside and keep practicing with your 30" barreled pellet gun and stop posting on what you know nothing about. </div></div>

Sounds like you are the internet expert,how about you get your fat ass out of a truck or blind and into some real world hunting conditions? The 338 EDGE and 338LM are pretty much one and the same,sounds to me that you would have a hard time killing a varmint if it was not set up in one of your "Senderos".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B.S. Flag!! Have you ever been to South Texas assbag? Do you know what a Sendero is? I usually shoot out of the window. Your truck does have windows doesnt it? I also always carry a shooting mat with me if the oportunity comes up for really long distances.

But now that we are on the subject maybe you can shed some light on us Bullshitters that dont know shit. Tell us all about how we are wrong with are short rifles. Tell me all about your infinite wisdom on long rifles. What do you shoot? Where do you shoot? How far have you shot. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Let's here more of the specs on the 338 SBR's that get fired to 1000 yds and beyond accurately on a daily basis.Who builds these rifles? Never heard of a reputable LR rifle builder making a 338LM in 20" and telling you it is GTG.Once again the BS flag.</span>I actually bought my muzzle brake from Jered,never did discuss how short we could go with a 338 magnum.Funny that I don't hear about many guys that build a 338LM or EDGE with a 20" bbl,you have fun with yours </div></div>

Just swinging through.....

APA (American Precision Arms) builds a 20" .338LM
Surgeon Rifles also builds a 20" .338LM

Just my opinion, both of these firms are "reputable LR rifle builders"

that and I am warming up my popcorn.......

Well to put an end to the mayhem we have built everything from 18" to 31.5" on the Lapua. I can tell you that the 18" has a lot of muzzle pressure but did shoot 1 MOA rather consistent under good conditions at 1500. 28" plus is mainly icing on the cake if you are going to take the weapon to some serious extremes. Personally I like 23" with a can and 28" plus for stupid stuff but they all work.

We just heard it from Jered,I just got off the phone with him and he said the 28" barrel is perfect for the kind of hunting I am doing,shorter will work also.I will probably have him build a short barrel 338 for hunting in Alaska next year.Of course,this is to pack in,not hunt from some "Sendero" or BS "Blind" as nolo likes to hunt from.

Need an Email address Wil,might as well build another,this one I have comes in at 13lbs10oz,nice to have one a bit lighter for humping out over the tundra.

In my mind a short barrel .338 Lapua/Norma/Edge would be similar, I wonder how a short barrel 20"ish .338/.408 would work out.

big reason for doing a twin in the same caliber is I already have the dies,brass,bullets and powder for the EDGE,although I'm thinking about going to 225-250gr bullets with a shorter/lighter barrel and possibly a bit faster powder than the H1000 for 300gr SMK or the RL25 for the Lehigh Boreriders in 245gr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send an email to Todd Hodnett and ask about .338LM shorty work.

I think he'll chuckle and tell you all about them shorties. </div></div>

I was actually going to mention that the first time I saw a 20" .338 Lapua was 2 years ago and Todd Hodnett is the one who turned us on to these beasts. Todd had a sako trg folding stock with a 20" barrel. Of course the reason I did not mention Todd is that not to many people know who he is, especially if you just hang out on the internet and not shoot for real.

Todd has come down and shot with us a few times on these SENDEROS to some pretty amazing distances.

If you see Todd tell him Nolo,Tom, Mike say Hello.

I am through arguing about this crap. I am going to put on my Clown ghillie suit and my clown nose and find a long Sendero and do some hunting.

Have Fun!

nolo,you are a pretty funny guy for someone who does not "Hang Out" on the internet and "Does lots of Shootin"

Not all of us come from a SENDERO in south texas and realize the USA is a great BIG Place with lots of huntin and shootin oppurtunities all over!!!!!

After talkng with Jered this morning,I think a short barreled 338 is in my future.The Alaska tundra seems like the place to try it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send an email to Todd Hodnett and ask about .338LM shorty work.

I was actually going to mention that the first time I saw a 20" .338 Lapua was 2 years ago and Todd Hodnett is the one who turned us on to these beasts. Todd had a sako trg folding stock with a 20" barrel. Of course the reason I did not mention Todd is that not to many people know who he is, especially if you just hang out on the internet and not shoot for real.

Todd has come down and shot with us a few times on these SENDEROS to some pretty amazing distances.

If you see Todd tell him Nolo,Tom, Mike say Hello. </div></div>

Next time I see 'Doc' I'll tell him howdy for ya... tell him Wil says howdy if you see him as well...

If ya didn't get the 'Doc' reference.... ya just don't know...sorry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need an Email address Wil,might as well build another,this one I have comes in at 13lbs10oz,nice to have one a bit lighter for humping out over the tundra. </div></div>

Todd can me contacted through here...

http://www.accuracy1st.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send an email to Todd Hodnett and ask about .338LM shorty work.

If you see Todd tell him Nolo,Tom, Mike say Hello. </div></div>

Next time I see 'Doc' I'll tell him howdy for ya... tell him Wil says howdy if you see him as well...

If ya didn't get the 'Doc' reference.... ya just don't know...sorry </div></div>

Yeah if I see handlebar Doc I will tell him you said Whats up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nolo,you are a pretty funny guy for someone who does not "Hang Out" on the internet and "Does lots of Shootin"

Not all of us come from a SENDERO in south texas and realize the USA is a great BIG Place with lots of huntin and shootin oppurtunities all over!!!!!

After talkng with Jered this morning,I think a short barreled 338 is in my future.The Alaska tundra seems like the place to try it out. </div></div>

Damn Dude You sent me a pm asking to squash this crap but apparently you cant let it go. I am still waiting for you to show me all about long range shooting.

let me get myself down to Laredo & I'll take the lesson...

I'm always interested in learning more. If you stop learning...well you might as well die.

No problem brother You and everyone else are always welcome! But I am the one that usually needs the lessons on how to shoot.

Nolo,I sent you a polite PM asking you to drop this crap,apparently it did not sink in.

On the other hand,I did get something out of this thread.I listened and paid attention past the petty BS and did a little research.Guess what? Looks like I'll be building a short barrel 338 in the near future.

NOW you see the light! I would be willing to bet that you will eventually get rid of your other rifle. The 20" .338 will be enough for just about everything you will ever do. They are quite sexy also!

By the way I was messing with you the whole time. Internet arguments are more fun.

Like I told Wil everyone is always welcome to come shoot with us here in Sendero land. Make sure you bring your SBR .338 and your Clown Ghillie..

The only advice I can give you is next time dont be so fast to wave the B.S. flag!
Take care
NOLO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna file that offer away and take you up on that after SHOT show. </div></div>

Hopefully I will be there!!! I go on Vacation in January and if the wife gives the go ahead I will be there!!

Take care bro