• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

short barrelled 338LM

Re: short barrelled 338LM

Isn´t 16" the minimum barrell length for a non-SBR-rifle ? Anyone tried that with 338 Lapua ?

With a suppressor one could get a compact rifle that does not deliver too much overpresure to the shooter. The suppressor must be very robust of course as there will be +1000 bar pressure every shot inside it :)

...this thread has been f'in great...!!!...

...I learned that a 20" tube is "enough" for a 338LM from helping a wag get a RND 2000 rifle put together at RND Edge...

...Lloyd explained that there was less than 100 fps lost between a 24" barrel and a 20" one...

...he was surprised to discover this for himself...the only reason he agreed to build a 20" barreled 338LM rifle was to satisfy the demands of a customer (USN) who agreed to order enough units to make it worth his while...(shortening the barrel to 20" on the semi auto RND 2000 was a bit more complicated than cutting off 4")...

...now he actualy reccomends the 20" length for most users...

Here is mine AI AWSM .338 lapua with AI 20" barrel 1 in 10 twist.
This is a barrel that I bought from Stacey Blackenship (Thanks Stacey for putting up with me). My next barrel will be a 1 in 9.
Next to my AI AW .308 with 20" barrel for comparison..
Forgot to add the .338 is wearing a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 mlr reticle. with a larue rail installed.
The .308 is wearing a Hensoldt 4-16x56..

DSCN0259.jpg

DSCN0261.jpg

Welcome, she is a house of fire for sure and meets some new updated requirements for both the Mil and Civy user's, enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine AI AWSM .338 lapua with AI 20" barrel 1 in 10 twist.
This is a barrel that I bought from Stacey Blackenship (Thanks Stacey for putting up with me). My next barrel will be a 1 in 9.
Forgot to add the .338 is wearing a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 mlr reticle. with a larue rail installed.

DSCN0259.jpg

DSCN0261.jpg

</div></div>

Damn you, Nolo, Damn you

Just when I almost had myself talked out of a .338LM, I come across this and my curiosity is peaked once again. Looks like it's time to do some posting on the for sale boards

Nolo,
not trying to piss you off but what is a sendero, I have heard of them but no onw same ever told me what they are?

Soon everyone will want a nice little 20" fire breathing .338 stomp stick, keep looking it is getting better and better and then.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunner960</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nolo,
not trying to piss you off but what is a sendero, I have heard of them but no onw same ever told me what they are? </div></div>

A Sendero is a Fancy texican (mexican) name for a dirt road, power line road or a caliche road..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine AI AWSM .338 lapua with AI 20" barrel 1 in 10 twist.

DSCN0259.jpg

DSCN0261.jpg

</div></div>

Damn you, Nolo, Damn you

Just when I almost had myself talked out of a .338LM, I come across this and my curiosity is peaked once again. Looks like it's time to do some posting on the for sale boards
</div></div>

You think your curiosity is peaked looking, you should shoot one of these monsters. My d... gets hard everytime I pull the trigger. Seriously!!!

FWIW The original platform (AMAC-RAP 300) wore 24in bbls

I had no idea people were running 338LMs with 20" barrels.

How much powder is blowing out? Anyone quickload it?

2800fps with a 250gr bullet our of a 20" tube? Really???

I dont know about the 250 gr. but I know the 300 gr. is coming out of my rifle at 2650.. I can get it faster but accuracy starts to suffer the hotter I go.

im running handloads from a member here with 300gr bullets out of a 22" Lawton barrel. seeing great accuracy so far. enough to break glass bottles at 600 yards.

22" Barrett 98B Suppressed

11OCT09b.jpg

20" Barrett 98B pic from last deer season

DSCN0444b.jpg

4dec08.jpg

I've shot one down as short as 18" but there is a fairly consistent velocity sweetspot at around 22.5"

24" is my favorite for a .338 LM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I learned that a 20" tube is "enough" for a 338LM from helping a wag get a RND 2000 rifle put together at RND Edge...

...Lloyd explained that there was less than 100 fps lost between a 24" barrel and a 20" one...

...he was surprised to discover this for himself...the only reason he agreed to build a 20" barreled 338LM rifle was to satisfy the demands of a customer (USN) who agreed to order enough units to make it worth his while...(shortening the barrel to 20" on the semi auto RND 2000 was a bit more complicated than cutting off 4")...

...now he actualy reccomends the 20" length for most users... </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">OutRider</span>,

I will attest to the validity to Mr. DeSantis's claims as well as the the weapon system itself. It's legit! Accuracy expectation will hover between .5 - .75 MOA; easily sub-MOA. All this, determined utilizing real-world shooting conditions (in other words not benchrest shooting on a square range).

RNDEDGE2000A.jpg

RNDEDGE2000B.jpg

Configured here w/20" barrel, 10-rd mag, USO SN-3 scope, AAC TiTan-QD, Harris bi-pod, Sniper Tools ACI, USO bubble-levl, USO Posa-Slide & Lock MK III Base, USO 35mm P6M-3500-L Rings the weapon system weighs in at 18.5lbs.

<span style="font-weight: bold">To all</span>,
Regarding the 20" 338LM barrel config... Todd Hodnett's name was previously mentioned as having knowledge here... Yes! If you can seek him out, he may/will give you excellent data on this subject. I will tell you that during this period there was extensive testing with a shorter barreled 338LM system for certain customers... The shortest barrel tested was an 18" barrel, and beyond some small but expected loss in velocity along with a fireball-flame thrower situation (the flame was of no real concern as the system was always intended to be utilized suppressed) it accomplished much of the criteria they were testing for. A 20" barrel was considered optimal for these needs. As far as a professional-grade weapon system manufacturer who can provide insight on this short 338LM project, I suggest you seek out Preston Pritchett; owner/operator of Surgeon Rifles, he has first-hand knowledge of this project and is among the short list of rifle makers that certain customers (who can buy anything they want to get the mission done) call when in need of a Sniper Weapon System.
I’ve given as much of the pieces-and-parts as I feel comfortable regarding this subject. I hope it proves helpful.

I'm running 99 grains of Retumbo pushing 250 Scenars in my .338 Lapua mag pistol with a 20 inch barrel and doing 2900 fps. I've gone to 100 grains of Retumbo, but got better accuracy at 99 grains. No pressure signs, brass is holding up really well through 6 reloads so far.
I have a friend getting about 50 fps more using a 18 inch .338 Lapua improved in a pistol. Another guy I know in Alaska is shooting a 19 inch barrel in .338 Edge. It's a 3 groove barrel.
Although we mostly shoot 250's, the guy with the Lapua Imroved is getting 2700 fps with 300 SMK's. He does pretty good out to 1500 yrds on targets.
I built mine for out to 1K yrds for hunting. Not interested in going farther on game with this set up.
When I rebarrel I'm going to go with an improved lapua as well, primarily so I can get to 2700 fps with the 300 SMK's.
Here's a photo, American Precision did the barrel work.

side_full_screen_shot1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dougm58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running 99 grains of Retumbo pushing 250 Scenars in my .338 Lapua mag pistol with a 20 inch barrel and doing 2900 fps. I've gone to 100 grains of Retumbo, but got better accuracy at 99 grains. No pressure signs, brass is holding up really well through 6 reloads so far.
I have a friend getting about 50 fps more using a 18 inch .338 Lapua improved in a pistol. Another guy I know in Alaska is shooting a 19 inch barrel in .338 Edge. It's a 3 groove barrel.
Although we mostly shoot 250's, the guy with the Lapua Imroved is getting 2700 fps with 300 SMK's. He does pretty good out to 1500 yrds on targets.
I built mine for out to 1K yrds for hunting. Not interested in going farther on game with this set up.
When I rebarrel I'm going to go with an improved lapua as well, primarily so I can get to 2700 fps with the 300 SMK's.

</div></div>

If I didn't see it here myself, I would not have believed somebody would make such a thing. Very interesting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dougm58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running 99 grains of Retumbo pushing 250 Scenars in my .338 Lapua mag pistol with a 20 inch barrel and doing 2900 fps. I've gone to 100 grains of Retumbo, but got better accuracy at 99 grains. No pressure signs, brass is holding up really well through 6 reloads so far.

</div></div>
That's a US Optics SN-3 series scope on that gun. The eye relief is only 3 1/2 inches! I'd be reluctant to hold a handgun shooting .338 LM that close to my face. I just can't believe that the muzzle brake on that thing is so effective.
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B.S. Flag!! Have you ever been to South Texas assbag? Do you know what a Sendero is? I usually shoot out of the window. Your truck does have windows doesnt it? I also always carry a shooting mat with me if the oportunity comes up for really long distances.

You dont have to take my word for it. Jered Joplin is coming down to my buddies ranch to hunt in a few weeks. You can ask him how far you can stretch your rifle here. There has also been several other people that have stopped at my buddy Tom's ranch before going to one of the big matches in the valley.Maybe they will chime in on the 2300 yard range we have access to.I shoot to at least 1k usually weekly. Know what the hell you are talking about before opening your pie hole!

But now that we are on the subject maybe you can shed some light on us Bullshitters that dont know shit. Tell us all about what we are doing wrong with are short rifles. Tell me all about your infinite wisdom on long rifles. What do you shoot? Where do you shoot? How far have you shot? How often do you shoot? </div></div>

"assbag." that was great!

Hello,
Can you tell me which bullets do you use for hunting with a 338 lm?

thank you

so 24 " would be a good compromise on a hunting 338lm??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for a shorter 338 LM, why not just buy a Desert Tactical Arms 338 Lapua Magnum with an overall length of just 37.5"?

guns-accurate.gif

</div></div>

+100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18-inch DTA Covert in .338LM.

28v3s6q.jpg
</div></div>

Some serious bite and a whole lot of BARK......

Ugh hate bumping old topics, but this one has the most pertinent info I could find on my question.. I have a savage 338 I want to run supressed and want to cut down the barrell a bit..I don't reload so I will always be shooting "standard" (factory) 338 loads.... I was wondering if anyone has MV figures from different length barrels (or a velocity management program) so I can see if there is a "sweet spot" to cut the 338 barrel to ?? (for example in 308 a 28 barrel gives negligable velocity increase over a 24" barrel with most factory loads) . I would like to take into consideration what length barrel burns most of the powder from a factory load (a place to start)) and go down from there. Thanks

Last edited:
Ugh hate bumping old topics, but this one has the most pertinent info I could find on my question.. I have a savage 338 I want to run supressed and want to cut down the barrell a bit..I don't reload so I will always be shooting "standard" (factory) 338 loads.... I was wondering if anyone has MV figures from different length barrels (or a velocity management program) so I can see if there is a "sweet spot" to cut the 338 barrel to ?? (for example in 308 a 28 barrel gives negligable velocity increase over a 24" barrel with most factory loads) . I would like to take into consideration what length barrel burns most of the powder from a factory load (a place to start)) and go down from there. Thanks

I can't give you a number but I'll give you a ballpark. The function is basically volume to powder. There are two ways to increase volume inside a bore, increase the bore or increase the length of the tube the bore resides in. A given amount of powder will need a given amount of bore volume to burn efficiently. If not enough bore volume it will result in a ton of muzzle blast as all the remaining powder is being burnt, but not in a useful space that will help propel the projectile forward. So, knowing this we can get an 'idea' of where we will start to see diminishing returns. One thing working in our favor is we have a larger bore with the 338 than the 308. So, for a given length of barrel, we will have more volume, roughly 10% more. Loosely speaking you could efficiently burn 10% more powder with the same efficiency in the same barrel length if you were shooting a 338 cal (one of the reasons the ballistics of the 338 federal are so impressive from a .308 case) over a 308 cal. The problem though, is that the Lapua has roughly 100% more powder than the 308. So the upside? You will see returns with a longer barrel for quite a while-I'm just guessing here but you would probably see a good bit of velocity difference between a 31 or 32" tube over a 24" tube on the Lapua. So how short can you go? I don't think it matters too much because anything shorter than 28" or so will yield significant muzzle blast. I have a 25" on mine and it's a flame thrower at dusk. I will be re-barreling in 338 Norma with a 30" plus tube because I use my gun for fun and want to wring out all the performance of that round. I would bet if one were to neck up the 338 to 375 or 416 you could get very good performance and not need quite the barrel length to get there, though.

And here's my short answer: a 28" barrel would probably be roughly equivalent efficiency of a 308 with a 24" tube, and you could liken the 24" lapuas to the 20" 308's, the 22" to the 18's, etc.

And here's my short answer: a 28" barrel would probably be roughly equivalent efficiency of a 308 with a 24" tube, and you could liken the 24" lapuas to the 20" 308's, the 22" to the 18's, etc.

Agreed.

And keep in mind that the pressures generated with a shorter .338LM get so significant that you would want to make sure your suppressor can handle it. More than one guy here with a shorty .338LM has blown apart their top-of-the-line suppressor. For what it's worth, my 18" barrel is a hoot to shoot, but it's not something I rely on for engagements beyond 1200m. It's best when I know I'm shooting inside that range and need the weight savings and compactness. On top of that, a 300gr bullet at 2550fps still bucks the wind better than a full power .308WIN. However, if your goal is to make ELR engagements, you'll want a barrel as long as you can accept and generally for that cartridge 26-28" seems to be the optimum length.

Agreed.

And keep in mind that the pressures generated with a shorter .338LM get so significant that you would want to make sure your suppressor can handle it. More than one guy here with a shorty .338LM has blown apart their top-of-the-line suppressor. For what it's worth, my 18" barrel is a hoot to shoot, but it's not something I rely on for engagements beyond 1200m. It's best when I know I'm shooting inside that range and need the weight savings and compactness. On top of that, a 300gr bullet at 2550fps still bucks the wind better than a full power .308WIN. However, if your goal is to make ELR engagements, you'll want a barrel as long as you can accept and generally for that cartridge 26-28" seems to be the optimum length.

Great point. I don't know enough about the pressure curves of a 338 LM but I would fathom it's relatively much greater in relation to that caliber's peak pressure when the barrel is 18" as compared to a 308 @ 18". It all comes down to what your purpose for the gun is. If the user has no practical need for anything past 1200 yards (one of my loads is a 300 OTM @ 2580-yes this still does excellent at 1k and beyond, but I'd be lying if I said the 2800fps load wasn't easier past that) then why carry a 30lb gun with a 30" barrel? You still have a COMPLETELY different animal at that distance than even the hottest 308 rounds especially if we are talking about energy delivered to the target and ease of getting the bullet there. Unlike you, I use my big boomer for fun and don't really have a practical need for it so it doesn't bother me to run a long-ass barrel and see what kind of performance lives within that round. I've been happy with the 25" as a compromise, though.

Agreed. I've really gotten a lot of use out of that platform with multiple .338LM barrels: 18", 26" and a 34" Improved. One bad ass optic and multiple conversions from 6.5x47 on up and in about a year all of my other bolt guns disappeared.

I run an SAC bartlein 22.5 in 6.5x47L and 338L in Desert Tech, 2770 fps 250 scenar in the shorty, had a 26" which was just fine, but Mark is currently spinning a 28" to chamber the 300 scenar out a bit further. The 22.5 is great, especially hunting scenarios for me with the TBAC 338BA can; I will use the 28" for longer, ambush work.

Very handy when in my covert setup with the NF 2.5-10x42 packing it @ 6-8k elevation.