• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Short dot or Elcan

Limey-

Knuckledragger
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2007
Washington
Looking hard at these two. The Short Dot is a little bit more cash. Use is for a Patrol Rifle Urban and out in the County which is rural. Also on a Tac Team that has some structures we regularly work in that have 400+ meter corridors. I would like to ID targets out at 100 yards plus easily which the eotech does not shine at as my eyes get a little older. That said the majority of work we do is 10 yards to 50 yards. Most recent engagement with a perp in this area were 77 yards and 43 yards respectively, both were Rifle shots. Thoughts ???

Just before its suggested. The two uppers solution does not work. On a MJ grow for instance we might hike in to elevation in high heat, no one is carrying two uppers. Once on the grow under canopy we might be at 10 yards. The Large structures is the same issue.
Yes we do work in the large structures very often. No I cannot say what those structures are.

Re: Short dot or Elcan

I own both. Both sit on top of 16 inch AR platforms. I like them both and find each has plus and a minus. The Elan's plus; Larger field of view, larger sight picture, bright sight picture, illumination has a choice of dot or lite reticule, the flip from one to four and back is just a thumb click away, solid piece of gear. Minus; no diopter adjustment, scope adjustment for windage and elevation out side (don't know if it's that bad just not something I am use to), must hold over in stead of dialing for distance (the bullet doesn't always seem to follow there reticule hold overs at distance). Eye relief (because it is a compact design I have to get it back as far on the rail as the rail provides. still couldn't get good eye relief so had to shorten the stock which made for an uncomfortable length of pull) solid lens covers can't see through them if I forgot to take them off. I shoot it in Tac rifle matches and it has not let me down out to 300 yards and I see some impressive groups with it.

Short dot minus;needs a mount, smaller field of view, not as bright as the Elcan (but clearer sight picture or should I say cleaner sight picture), has a blue tint that is a small a nuance, there is no choice of lite reticule or dot just a dot, going from one power to four is not as fast IMHO (I have never used the power in between one and four and have no use for it, It's not a true one power (and did notice that, took some bit getting use to it)it's an Moa dial, mil reticule. plus; love the fact that I can dope the rifle and dial, I keep separate dope for the reticule for holding over and under and I am trying to decide zero at t 300 and hold over and under or just dail for distance. cleaner sight picture,has a Diopter adjustment,has different cams so I can use it on a 30 cal rifle, longer eye relief which gives me a better feel on length of pull. also a solid piece of gear. lens covers can be seen through if needed.

I know you made your choice but I hope this helps in some way. Besides it's 2 am here and I couldn't sleep and it gave me something to do. Good luck and good shooting.

Valken

Don't see why you didn't consider a Acog 4x32 + doctor sight on top of it... It will do the job just fine for that distance.

I cant answer for the op but I cant stand the cheek weld chin weld switch of that setup.

For the Elcan/SD question I think of it like this:

Elcan if live in 1X most of the time.
SD if you live in 4X most of the time.

Thanks guys. My issue with the acog is with a mini RDS it is tough to get a cheek weld . while the mini RDS seem fine for range work I have not seen them function to a level that inspires confidence on a two way range.
Its all a compromise somewhere.

The reason I have a few ELCAN SpecterDRs is the reticle and the sight picture. Dots work very well for me, fast and accurate, and I am almost always on 4X. I'm using mine with the SOCOM MRD mount and a 7-MOA Docter on top, the current SOCOM configuration.

I can't imagine switching between magnifications often with a Short Dot or other standard scope, it's just too slow and cumbersome. I would put the Short Dot on 4x and an MRD on top.

I would use the Elcan 1.5x-6x and put the Docter on Top, I have used that configuration with a semi auto 308 and it works awesome. It's faster, not much bigger and gives gives you much more flexibility.

I'm definitely an Elcan fan, and I have a Short Dot that was lucky to get used once or twice... the Elcans are pretty standard on my ARs.