• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short LOP Chassis

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    I’m looking for a chassis for a 700SA barreled action that’s going to get turned into a 12” SBR.

Biggest qualifier is that it needs to go down to a 12” LOP. Would also like it to be fairly light, and have a flat forend. Ideally under $500; I wish I had Manners money but unfortunately that’s not in the budget for this project.

Anyone have any thoughts?

This may suit your criteria.

I've seen the mdt lss used several times for "pistol" builds.

Edit: grammar ninja..

I think you might be able to get a Grayboe Ridgeback pretty close.

Here is one that I had torn down before paint... just looking at the LOP, even adding a recoil pad should get you pretty close.

EDIT: just measured. Won’t go under 13” with recoil pad unfortunately. Sorry.

3FFA9A91-85A5-4D22-9790-40BA81CC33A0.jpeg

Last edited:
    Good suggestions. Betting the XLR is the easiest path. Really wishing I could make the Pork Sword work, just because it’s cool and I like to support Texas businesses. But I’m going to have to look hard to find a stock that’s short enough. All their stuff is over 13”. I know for a fact that 13” is a little too long, really needs to be 11.5-12” max

Reactions: woogie_man
    Someone help me out here....I've been reading for decades....forum posts of people asking for shorter LOP stocks for various reasons....and in all these years...I haven't seen anyone really seriously step up to the plate. Sure, you can argue that the percent of short/small people with T-Rex arms in the PRS and tactical matches isn't large enough to justify making a line of full featured chassis that cater to the needs of these individuals..

However, I hear all the time of how we have to grow the community with more women and more youths. They want to shoot the same things we shoot at the distances we shoot...and don't want any disadvantages of going smaller caliber or some wonky stock. They want exactly what we have...just a tiny bit smaller...or a tiny bit lighter....or how about the amount of people who are serious about long range 22lr and don't want to put it in a full size chassis?

The market is there...and I think someone that is already geared up and producing top quality chassis for the PRS and Tactical markets......they are missing a serious amount of sales if they'd simply produce a JR model....or a ladies model...I mean...Hopefully, one day a youth left handed female will have easy and numerous options on top quality components to build their dream rifle on.

I’m looking for a chassis for a 700SA barreled action that’s going to get turned into a 12” SBR.

Biggest qualifier is that it needs to go down to a 12” LOP. Would also like it to be fairly light, and have a flat forend. Ideally under $500; I wish I had Manners money but unfortunately that’s not in the budget for this project.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Could you consider a folding chassis?
    You could have a LOP set for whatever you actually need but still be very short when not deployed.

./

@b2lee I couldn’t agree more. My secondary reason for building this smaller scale rifle is something for my wife, and eventually for my 2 daughters (lord willing they take an interest) The only thing I can find so far that’s absolutely perfect right out of the box is a Manners MCS-CS. And dang that’s a lot of money for a support/not main rifle.

The McMillian A-10 stock goes shorter than 12" I believe, but it is above $500. Made for people like me with short LOP and short grip to trigger distance.

This may not get you within your budget but it is what I would go with. I am getting ready to order a CSR from them for a 12” build
    I was thinking if you bought a used BA fixed and this rear end?

Reactions: Craigm63
    What about a "take off" M24 short action stock.

It has the integral HS Precision aluminum block so it is a chassis as far as bolt-In and go plus it is adjustable to a very short LOP as is.

Would be way under your budget limit if you know where to look.

./

Just measured the element on my 243. The current lop is 12.5, and it has another 1.5" between the buffer tube and butt plate. Adjustment on the fly is a no go, but it is there to be had.

Just measured the element on my 243. The current lop is 12.5, and it has another 1.5" between the buffer tube and butt plate. Adjustment on the fly is a no go, but it is there to be had.

yeah for my price range I’m thinking the element is going to be the best choice. The 12” rail will go good with a 14”-ish barrel too. I’ve had them in the past any my only gripe was the lack of quick adjustability, it can be a pain in the ass. But you can’t argue with the fact that it’s there if you need it, and a very wide range. They have a shorter buffer tube too. Might even talk to the wife about upgrading to the magnesium one to shed weight.

What about a "take off" M24 short action stock.

It has the integral HS Precision aluminum block so it is a chassis as far as bolt-In and go plus it is adjustable to a very short LOP as is.
    Sounds like a pretty good concept; first place with info that pulled up listed minimum LOP at 13” though? Think that’s correct?

I had some teething issue getting the axis to sit right in my first element, but after that it's rather pleasant. I love the ergos and feel of the element, that is subjective of course.

You might check tactical works to see if they have any of the first/second gen. I purchased my last one from them for just under 5 bills.

MPA is the way to go. I had this one built for my son back in the winter. I told Phil what I needed and he took care of me. From GP what I gather this is basically a folder with the hinge removed. If you want to stretch it back out you just need to add the hinge. This is my sons rifle.

5F81B21E-2760-49D9-A34A-F5B12892F5C9.jpeg
    37060025-4A3A-4DA5-AD5B-6BE604680DF3.jpeg

Reactions: b2lee
    That's awesome they are making it commercially, I asked them a year to make me a custom 1 off shorter buttpad.

Thought long and hard about all this feedback including the M24 take off. At the end of the day I’m just a sucker for a chassis. So.... Just ordered a Screech Owl. A lot of the design features met my criteria and the collapsible stock is listed at 11.75” shortest LOP with possibilities to modify shorter if really needed.

JTAC

it’ll be a month before I get it. It’s a bit of a gamble but I think it’ll be great. Will certainly keep everyone posted.

Reactions: PBWalsh
    Quick update in case anyone cares. Never know who will be reading this as a result of a google search. The JTAC chassis came in and I’ve got everything assembled. The shortest of 3 preset lengths on the collapsible stock is right at 11.5”

The unit looks nice and was packaged well. My barreled action dropped right in. My only constructive criticism is that the rail is more rounded than I’d like but there is a narrow flat part on the bottom. And the M-lok slots don’t go all the way back to the mag well for RRS plates. I suppose they designed the rail more for people to carry, and didn’t consider people mounting on a tripod.

8E049BD9-C358-4D55-875E-036F166ABD8A.jpeg

Reactions: 143lrsd and Blue72
    Quick update in case anyone cares. Never know who will be reading this as a result of a google search. The JTAC chassis came in and I’ve got everything assembled. The shortest of 3 preset lengths on the collapsible stock is right at 11.5”

The unit looks nice and was packaged well. My barreled action dropped right in. My only constructive criticism is that the rail is more rounded than I’d like but there is a narrow flat part on the bottom. And the M-lok slots don’t go all the way back to the mag well for RRS plates. I suppose they designed the rail more for people to carry, and didn’t consider people mounting on a tripod.

View attachment 7374110

very nice!.....what grip is on that gun?

What contour barrel is in that chassis I am trying to figure out if a 30 cal varmint contour will fit in that chassis.
    looks sick.

It’s a medium Palma or something like that, don’t remember. There should be plenty of room
    7B78C9D0-F69E-4EB7-8957-C9A618817B6C.jpeg
    52CA09C7-FFD3-4006-8338-E193743DB7DF.jpeg

What caliber? How does the stock feel under recoil? Does the hand guard flex?

sorry for so many questions....I’m just on the fence with this chassis and debating if I should get the manners CS instead

It’s a 308, dedicated unknown distance thermal night hunting gun. 14.5” pinned shooting 115 Bergers at 2950. The stock is minimalist but has enough adjustment to set it up properly and recoil really isn’t too bad at all. I haven’t had a bipod out on the end to really lean on it, but the rail is pretty solid. There’s a flat spot on the bottom but it’s generally rounded enough to feel good carrying it.

I even got a lil 2-10 day optic for it during hunting season because I like it so much. It’s shooting 175 FGMM box ammo at 2410 with a suppressor. Good enough for a mini truck gun. I really like it.

Reactions: Blue72