• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Short Range MOA Precison Scope?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am coming up a bit empty trying to find the right scope for an AR10 308 rifle. Probably because I will be shooting the AR off a bench and am looking for the best accuracy possible of this gas gun. For shooting small groups at 100 and 200 yards (very rarely 300), what magnification (or range) is ideal for shooting paper targets? For this purpose, I prefer MOA reticles (and adjustment knobs) in 1/4 or 1/8 MOA. I use up to 20X at 100 yards now and do not find that too much, but suspect the scope may be getting a bit dim or cloudy encouraging me to try and make up for that with increased magnification. Or the reticle is not fine enough. That scope is a 6 - 24X50 Bushnell Elite 4200. Would also like a scope that is tactical in appearance, but that is not mandatory. Scope suggestions for $850 or less? I would consider fixed power or used as well.

- Phil

Re: Short Range MOA Precison Scope?

The Falcon Menace 5-25x50 isn't bad on the high end- reticle might be a tad thick for ya - i shot it at 100 on max mag and found it ok in the daylight. had it on my 300winmag. Anyways they were mil/mil too though. Weaver?? never mind the weaver is over $1000 new.

If you don't care about FFP you could always go SFP and get a used leupold mark4 - i don't think they're bad at all and i think the clarity is pretty good. Otherwise, i'm drawing a blank right now.