• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short, Really Short 308

I love the idea. But if your can says only 14.5"+ from 308, I would pin and weld a muzzle device to get you to 16" and build it as a rifle with whatever stock/chassis you wanted.

Or if you want to get a new can, get one with a shorter or no barrel length restrictions and go wild. 10" - 12" 308 would be awesome, I have no idea what velocity numbers you will get, but they will be much higher than anything that can fit in an ar15 size platform, especially reloading playing with different powders. The YHM resonator is a really great can if you want a cheap beater to throw on there. Built like a tank, full auto rated (not that it matters for a bolt gun), not too heavy, 10.5" 308 barrel length restriction, and can get them for around $400.

I don't know for sure, but I think the barrel length restrictions have much more to do with bullet stabilization than powder burn. The manufacturer is worried about baffle strikes. My .30 cal can has a .308 barrel length restriction of 10.5" and it's much less expensive than a TBAC.

My recent build. Fits in a backpack for those rough country hunts or a bug out gun. The Remington 700 CP in 308. Folding Gearhead Works Tailhook MOD 2 brace, Primary Arms ACSS 1-8X optics, SilencerCo Omega Suppressor/Blast Shield. MLOK Bipod. Compact and sub MOA at 100 yards. Groups under 1.5" at 300 yards. Love it, not much recoil but very loud (hence the blast shield when shooting unsuppressed)
1590148151108.png

1590148187020.png

Reactions: Crews and PBWalsh
Y’all please correct me if I’m off base here... My only problem with 300blk is that it’s not going to push a 110 grain bullet over 2700 out of a 14.5” barrel? I’ve shot lots of hogs with the 300blk out of SBR’s... it’s fine but I think not what I’m looking for here.
300 BLK were made for 8.2" barrels and will have full burn at that barrel length. Anything above that and you arnt really gaining much FPS, maybe if you handload and use a different powder you could get a longer burn? I don't know

300 BLK were made for 8.2" barrels and will have full burn at that barrel length. Anything above that and you arnt really gaining much FPS, maybe if you handload and use a different powder you could get a longer burn? I don't know
I'm running a 10.5" barrel on my 300 Blackout. Great gun/caliber for short/medium range work. Dead quiet with the SilencerCo Omega suppressor. Mild recoil in a compact package with the brace.
1590160571297.png

I kinda of want to do one of these builds but am waiting to see 8.6 creed or black whatever they call it

My recent build. Fits in a backpack for those rough country hunts or a bug out gun. The Remington 700 CP in 308. Folding Gearhead Works Tailhook MOD 2 brace, Primary Arms ACSS 1-8X optics, SilencerCo Omega Suppressor/Blast Shield. MLOK Bipod. Compact and sub MOA at 100 yards. Groups under 1.5" at 300 yards. Love it, not much recoil but very loud (hence the blast shield when shooting unsuppressed)

Any ideas what kind of velocities you’re getting? If not, what ammo are you using and what’s the drop at 300? That’s a 10.5” right?

the POF Rogue is 5.6 pounds 12" barrel AR10 308. perfect for a can and to kill hogs i think . just what ammo is next issue to use

View attachment 7332856
View attachment 7332857

Looks nice. I think the Omega has a 16"mininum for the 308win. Been a while since I looked at my paperwork though.

I'm going to build a lightweight shorty 308 in a chassis, probably an SBR but in the base case pistol. This is for 0-300 yard night hunting with a thermal. I've been very happy so far with the performance of 115 Bergers going 2,950fps out of my 16" AT barrel. Just getting tired of toting that chunk around.

So I'm trying to decide how short is too short. 12" comes to mind first. Reloader guy is telling me quickload predicted the following: 95% powder burn with my current velocity out of 16" barrel. 2740fps out of a 12" barrel with 92% powder burn. That drops me down from 1,110 ft/lb to 970ft/lb of energy at max 300 yard distance. Wondering if that equates to a lot less knock down power in the real world. TBAC recommends minimum barrel length of 14.5" for 308, so I'm also wrestling with potential damage to my can.

So what does the Hide think, anyone got experience with a 12" 308? Am I crazy for wanting to try it?
If weight was the driving factor, I'd build a rifle on a lightweight action with a 16.5" carbon fiber wrapped barrel.
Add a lightweight stock and you're talking 6 pounds for the rifle.

So what parts do I need to build this exact gun? I clearly don’t know what to look for that’s why I’m asking.

Surgeon 591 action, KRG Whiskey chassis, 11" barrel (and permission from the ATF to do so), Atlas bipod, S&B scope, Spuhr rings...

My buddy at SWS Rifles made the integral barrels for Gunwerks' Lite Sabr limited editions. His "XLR Hunter" is a near identical rifle in your choice of calibers for around $5k.
(edit: I didn't realize that I had already plugged him in this thread)

Last edited:
Personally if it were me, and wanted a short, handy, and light rifle, I would go 6.5G or 6.8 SPC on a mini action.

If you are going for a full size action, a 338 Federal would be awesome in the 12" barrel length, as well as giving latitude to play around with subsonic rounds as long as the barrel twist is fast enough.

I have a 300 BLK but for your goals of 300 yards... Well it just ain't going to cut it for that