• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short vs Long action.....advantages/disadvantages help please

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Hi, I'm saving like crazy and in the coming year i'll hopefully purchase a receiver. Many come in Long vs Short action variants. Probably i'll go for something like the 6Cr...not quite sure yet.

It would be for target range use not hunting. Plan to take a long range class. Maybe one day i'll do a practical rifle local competition.

If i understand correctly this is considered a comparatively short caliber so i would imagine i'd need a short action but i've also read here that some rifle makers use longer actions even for their shorter calibers.

I guess the bolt throw would be longer in a longer action which perhaps isn't preferable? Longer magazines might allow you to shoot longer BC projectiles which might be good? Are the longer actions stronger?

Appreciate your help.

Read a recent thread that noted the Origin deal as a great deal but not yet ready to pull the trigger so to speak and honestly not sure about the length of the receiver to look for.

I can't imagine ever using some of the mega powerful long range calibers, i don't seem to tolerate heavy recoil well..... but if a longer receiver has many advantages for shorter length cartridges i'm fine with that as well.

thank you

Last edited:
You want a short action for a host of reasons. Long actions do not work well with magazines and common short action cartridges (6.5cm). It can be done but there is no point. You need 10 rounds mags to compete. Long action 10 round mags are enormous. Cartridges that work well in long actions are not ideal for competition due to recoil/cost to reload etc.

If you do enough digging you'll find a lot of posts where people claim short actions are more rigid = "inherently more accurate". Think a 1 foot piece of rebar vs a 20 foot piece. Less flex. It makes sense... not sure how many can shoot well enough to see a practical difference. I know I cannot!

Get a short action. It's really not even a question. There are plenty of great short magnum options that will give you magnum range and performance in a short action receiver... they virtually eliminate the need for long actions unless you want to shoot elephants from a quarter mile.

IF you decide you really, really want a long action... Buy mine. It's a tack driver in a wicked cartridge (6.5 SAUM). But I would not recommend for your purposes.

Reactions: Hawk in WY
It’s not complicated.

If you need a long action get it.

While possible I’d never get a long action for a 308 type cartridge.
Exception might be a requirement for a specific shooting sport like f class 308.

You're over thinking things, K.I.S.S.!!!

Said another way, stick with a short action for 6creed sized cartridges. You'll be much happier in the long run.

6.5CM and down, I would agree with the others. Short action fits the bill and will likely do everything you want it to given your stated purposes. I went the barreled action route with an Impact action and decided to hell with it.......throw a Trigger Tech trigger on that donkey and drop it in a KRG Bravo while I figure out what I’m gonna do for a stock.?

If you decided to go up in powder capacity with heavier bullets to say a 6.5x284 or 6.5PRC, as example, I personally prefer a long action because it allows me to seat the bullet further out without magazine restrictions. Have done this with two hunting rifles and am not disappointed. May change the stocks down the road but they are Sako rifles that feed flawlessly in their current configuration.

Good luck on your journey and enjoy?

Reactions: Yaremkiv
I was thinking about building a 6.5PRC in my LA Pre 64 Winchester for a hunting gun. How would the standard mag box on this sporter rifle fair in feeding ? It’s an old wood stock 30-06 that I inherited recently. Been beating myself up on what to do.

PB

I was thinking about building a 6.5PRC in my LA Pre 64 Winchester for a hunting gun. How would the standard mag box on this sporter rifle fair in feeding ? It’s an old wood stock 30-06 that I inherited recently. Been beating myself up on what to do.

PB
keep as is and build a new one specific to 6.5PRC

PB
The first challenge you will run into is the bolt face is not compatible. You will need to buy a magnum bolt or have your bolt face opened up.
I have a Titanium Remington 700 Long Action chambered in 6.5 SAUM (GAP 4S). I use Magpul AICS long action mags and they feed flawlessly. I happen to be selling it here but check it out so it gives you some ideas. Go SAUM instead of PRC too! SAUM's are mo bettah.

My understanding is that I would need to use a new hinged floorplate for magnums and they SHOULD feed properly, but I am not 100% sure.

PB

Your bolt face would be a candidate for the 6.5x284. I converted my Sako from 25-06 to the 6.5-284 but keep in mind that I am a hand loader and you won’t find much in the way of factory ammo. Krieger standard Palma, 1/7.5 and a hammer with Hornady 140 or 147 ELDM’s loaded at 3.00 COAL. Couldn’t speak to your magazine but would think it would work.

Your rifle is a sweet old classic and I wouldn’t do it but for reasons that were my own. My dad handed down rifles with strict instruction......they are tools to be used, not collect dust on a wall.?

Short accommodates 90% of people's needs.

If you don't mind the bolt coming right back to your face during cycling it will work. I have an old long action Savage that feeds 22-250 just fine. That said, that action will become a 280ai when that barrel is done. I'll build another 22-250 on a short action 700.

Reactions: Yaremkiv
With a long action, you can purchase an extra magnum bolt face/bolt and go from 6.5 creedmoor to 300 win with a simple barrel change

Reactions: RNWRKNP