• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shortage of Components: Is getting into reloading right now worth it?

BiggBeans

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Kansas
hey guys, been wanting to get into reloading for awhile now. I shoot factory ammo and have been very happy with it. Been looking online for reloading components and equipment and its extremely hard to find anything in stock. So my question, due to the current situation, is it even worth it to buy all the equipment and start reloading my own ammo? or is it better to just keep shooting factory ammo untill everything simmers down? right now i would only be reloading for my 6.5cm and my 223 trainer. so far i have been able to find factory ammo with no problem. I dont compete, just like to shoot long range with my buddies and hunt.

have been able to find all the equipment. the only things i cant find are powder and primers. anywhere.

have been able to find all the equipment. the only things i cant find are powder and primers. anywhere.

www.ammoseek.com

If you're looking for small rifle and/or small pistol primers you're fucked.

if you're looking for large rifle and/or large pistol, you have a chance.

There's plenty of powder and still a good selection of bullets. Brass might be an issue too.

If you’ll do it eventually just start buying now. Equipment and what not will be needed either way and you can find that. Search for whatever components you need. Some stuff comes up in the px here as well.

well, looks like i struck gold. just found two 8 pound kegs of h4350, 2 pounds of h4895, 1k of the 205m small rifle primers, and 1k of 210m large rifle primers. all locally. i guess ill go ahead and order my equipment now.

Reactions: wil_pt
well, looks like i struck gold. just found two 8 pound kegs of h4350, 2 pounds of h4895, 1k of the 205m small rifle primers, and 1k of 210m large rifle primers. all locally. i guess ill go ahead and order my equipment now.

I've had the most luck locally. Found primers in some backwoods gun shop in the middle of nowhere.... and got lucky when I visited a large gun store that has a great reloading section.

Keep looking locally and stuff might pop up. Good luck, and read/watch all the pinned threads under the reloading forum.

That's a tough one. Any components or ammo is difficult to find. At least in my neck of the woods. Personally, if it were me, I'd stay with buying factory ammo and see how things go. You can keep buying the factory stuff and look for those components. Start stockpiling any component you can find and if you find everything you need, then buy the reloader and stop buying the factory ammo.

Good luck!

Depends on how much shooting you do, I would search often for components, stuff is still being shipped to stores and popping up for reloading, I have seen a a lot of good deals online, gun forums ext. guys cleaning out ext. Its never a bad idea to get what factory ammo you can also, If it is available.