• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shortest barrel on a .308 build

Krtemt

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2020
Good evening y'all,

I am seeking advice from the masses. What is the shortest barrel length you would go for a .308 semi auto ar style rifle? I am wanting to build one with a 16 inch barrel. Main purpose would be for hunting, stalking the animal rather than sitting in a hide. Right now I have an 8.5 inch .300 blackout pistol and my 20inch rra LAR-8. I am not looking for a 1000yard gun, and I would like something lighter than the LAR-8.

If you are wanting to cut weight, take a look at POF. They make a .308 based on the AR-15 platform (rather than the AR-10).

they make 12in 308. If you are not pushing distance you can roll that otherwis a 16in will get the job done

I'd stick with 16". Not just for the legal easy-button, but performance as well.

PROOF makes carbon wrapped AR10 barrels you could put on your LAR-8, would save you at least 1.3ish pounds depending on the current barrel weight.
Maybe consider swapping out your handguard for something lighter as well. Might be able to shave another .5lb there.

What about getting a longer barrel for your 300blk? If you moved up to a lightweight profile 12" barrel, I bet it would be a lighter setup than a short 308. If you're stalking game to within 200yd, it should work fine.

Last edited:

Still 8.4lbs though. Depending on which LAR-8 OP has, his rifle probably weighs about 9.5lb without an optic. May as well swap to a carbon barrel, or just chop the current one down to 16" if we really want to run 308win. 16" 300blk has almost as much energy as a 10.5" 308win. Why not just go that route?

If he has the RRA Operator rail, he could save 8oz switching to a basic Fortis handgaurd. If he has the X series, Varmint, or Predator LAR - 8 (15oz handguard..ish) then he could save 3-5oz switching to a Fortis. Not saying Fortis is the only option, just showing that there are lighter alternatives without going full carbon....but if he did...a Brigand Arms Atlas would weigh 7oz vs. the stock 18oz handguard.

A 16" carbon 308 barrel and handguard would save up to 1.98lb, getting the rifle down to 7.5lbs and we havent even considered stock options.

Edit to add: Could also just buy a lightweight bolt 308...not saying they're the end-all, but an M77 Youth 308 weighs like 5.7lb without an optic...just saying.

Last edited:
If you look closely that 308 is 123 ounces, or 7.6 pounds with a SWFA SS 1-6 HD which is not exactly a light scope. That scope and mount weigh 1.5 pounds alone. The main weight savings came from a Faxon 16” Gunner barrel, 2A Arms Xanthos receiver set, a titanium bolt, titanium muzzle brake, and a few other small titanium parts, and a Tacom polymer buffer. I could have spent more on a handguard and titanium adjustable gas block and shaved off even more weight. I have not shot it yet.

Are you wanting to modify your LAR 8 upper, or thinking of building on a new upper? Faxon makes 16” pencil barrels that are lighter than the Gunner weight I have.

Length test.

Attachments

• 795B260C-00AF-4A21-BA0B-698251F467FF.jpeg
    795B260C-00AF-4A21-BA0B-698251F467FF.jpeg
    546.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
If you look closely that 308 is 123 ounces, or 7.6 pounds with a SWFA SS 1-6 HD which is not exactly a light scope. The main weight savings came from a Faxon 16” Gunner barrel, 2A Arms Xanthos receiver set, a titanium bolt, titanium muzzle brake, and a few other small titanium parts, and a Tacom polymer buffer. I could have spent more on a handguard and titanium adjustable gas block and shaved off even more weight. I have not shot it yet.

Are you wanting to modify your LAR 8 upper, or thinking of building on a new upper? Faxon makes 16” pencil barrels that are lighter than the Gunner weight I have.

Length test.

This. This is what we should be gunning for here. Nice build bro.

Reactions: KYAggie
Thanks. That Brigand Arms handguard along with a pencil barrel would have made my gun weigh in the mid 5 pound range before optics. I’m thinking Nosler Accubonds in 125 or 150 for deer out to 300 yards, possibly further, Speer 125 TNT’s for personal defense, and 130 Barnes for Hogs.

Krtemt, here’s that light handguard:

I think for lightweight hunting type rigs, I think that POF makes a very interesting gun, haven't messed around with one at all but they are crazy light.

I like 308 in shorter barrels, within most hunting ranges, the 308 still puts a good amount of energy on target out past 600 yarrds

The article mentions noise as a factor of shorter barrels early on. A picture appear to show a linear compensator mounted, yet the article makes no mention of such that I could quickly scan from its contents.

As the possessor of a nearly completely deaf left ear from ONE shot of a ported 12ga going off at about 2ft proximity from that ear in a hunting situation, this curious guy wants to know, whether a linear comp has a place on the hunting scene.

Greg

Thank you everyone for the replies. Work has been crazy with the COVID spike in Texas. I have thought about building a new upper for my blackout. She was built to be a close quarters defense/truck gun, hence her 8.5 inch barrel. But I have looked at getting either a 10.5 inch or 16 inch upper for her. If I don’t go that route then I would probably be building the rifle from the ground up. Main hunting I would be doing is feral hog. But eventually go for deer or bigger.