• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shortest Barrel you'd run a 243AI/6mm-06 in?

Capt Beach

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
Virginia Beach Va
I like short barrel rifles...building a shorty hunter right now in 308, 16.5" heavy in a walnut stock...cold steel and warm wood...any way...

Looking forward a bit to my next build...had a 243AI a while back but sold it before i could really get into it...now I'm back looking hard at the 243AI and the 6mm-06 as I usually end up building on lesser expensive LA's thought I might give the 6mm-06 or 6mm-06AI a try...

I'd like to get down into the 18" range but realistically probably 22 is as short as I think I could go on the 243AI, but thinking out load I might be able to keep 243 speeds in the shorter barrel by running 243AI...

I've seen all the arguments about the 243 needing a longer barrel and the 6mm-06 being atrociously over bore but there are some powders out there that may help that...

I'm looking for a low recoiling, flat shooting, hard hitting round...it will be an 7.7" to 8" twist and shoot 115 DTAC moly's exclusively...longest range shot would be 600 yards and on all N American game except bear, elk and moose.

Sitting back awaiting the tribes wisdom...thanks

Currently building one like this...actually Winny's rifle inspired the new build...

023.jpg

I have a 243 ai and went with a 1:8 twist 20in barrel.

I too wanted to go shorter, but didn't think it'd be worth it

I shoot a 6mm Competition Match which is essentially a 243 AI with a 30* shoulder instead of 40*. I am running a 23" Bartlein 7.5" twist with 49.5 grns of Retumbo and getting 3,080 fps with a 115 DTAC. I think you could get away with a 22" tube and be just fine all though I would expect 2950 fps with the 115's and not much more.

-VB

I built a 243ai on a 24" Krieger, not exactly what u asked,but here's my pearl of wisdom... The ackley increasea the powder capacity over a 243, where that part shines is using slow powder like 4831,h1000, and retumbo in large quantities. Those slow powders need barrel length to get full burn. Now u can run faster powder like h4350 or a tad faster to make short barrels work, but u'll find that that ackley case becomes less effecient compared to a straight 243. My ackley in 24" with 105 hybrids run about 3150 with 4831sc. If i use h4350 i can get 3225 but pockets on lapua or win brass gets loose in 3-4 firings. That is unacceptable on a case that needs fireforming, barrel life slips away too fast. Now the 40* shoulder should help throat life, but i have a straight243 in a 24" barrel and it nips at the heels of the ackley in the velocity department . That tells me that 24" or less with an ackley 243 is wasted, ymmv.