• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shortest stock without going proprietary?

AK4900PA

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2013
What are the shortest collapsed PDW style stocks that still utilize a standard BCG and carbine buffer?

I'd check out Maxim Defense. Pretty sure they can use a standard carbine buffer. They collapse down extremely well. This is my Maxim Defense PDW brace.

Attachments

• IMG_4025.JPG
    IMG_4025.JPG
    487 KB · Views: 90
Maxim Defense was the primary stock I was considering. I see they offer a JP SCS for the CQB model which would be an option. It's only ~1/2" shorter than my current configuration extended, but it's ~2" shorter collapsed. I'm planning on switching to the JP SCS at some point anyway so this is definitely an option.

Reactions: TheChief
From what Iv'e seen so far the Maxim Defense is a fantastic product. It extends out plenty far, but it really shines when its collapsed all the way. This is my truck AR and home defense AR and I tell you this, it maneuvers better than my Mk18 did in the Navy. I keep it mounted on the back of my passenger seat in the truck and I can maneuver it inside there and shoot damn near in any direction without beating it against the inside of the truck. Really great, compact, sturdy stock.

How is the cheek weld compared to a traditional carbine stock? I have a SBR lower with 4.5" 22lr and 6.25" 300blk uppers which this stock seems ideal for, but I also have a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel upper for hunting. I'm somewhat concerned about the functionality of the CQB stock for that purpose. The maxim setup does appear to have an actual place to set your cheek unlike some of the other PDW style stocks, but I've never had the opportunity to try one personally.

I haven't seen a single issue with it. It's comfortable and rock solid. Even shooting at 200 meters it takes a lot of fuck up on my part to miss a paper plate at that range. And for an 11.3" AR I consider that pretty good. Head shots are no problem at all with a rest at that range.

I looked hard at this, and still might add one (or brace version) but held off for now.

I debated this vs a law folder and ended up going with the law. I also snagged a JP SCS and the new JP adapter pieces to run a law folder with a JP SCS. It's awesome.

Based on your feedback of how great the PDW stock sounds......it raises the question I've often wondered.......is it possible to run the PDW WITH a Law gen3 folder? I don't have a PDW accessible via a friend or anyone to test fit. I don't see why it wouldn't work but sometimes when you acutely have goods in hand....the install runs into issues.

If the PDW will work the Law.......it would be awesome to have the trifecta of Law folder, JP SCS and PDW 😎

I looked hard at this, and still might add one (or brace version) but held off for now.

I debated this vs a law folder and ended up going with the law. I also snagged a JP SCS and the new JP adapter pieces to run a law folder with a JP SCS. It's awesome.

Based on your feedback of how great the PDW stock sounds......it raises the question I've often wondered.......is it possible to run the PDW WITH a Law gen3 folder? I don't have a PDW accessible via a friend or anyone to test fit. I don't see why it wouldn't work but sometimes when you acutely have goods in hand....the install runs into issues.

If the PDW will work the Law.......it would be awesome to have the trifecta of Law folder, JP SCS and PDW 😎

Wouldn't work. Look closely at how the PDW stocks collapse.

Decided to go with the Gen7 CQB stock. They have three models. The longest uses standard BCG and buffer, the shortest has a proprietary BCG and buffer and the CQB is in the middle with a standard BCG and proprietary buffer. I already have bolt carriers and the short one doesn't have a continuous cheek weld. I'm waiting for them to get back to me on a question about their buffers before I place my order. They have a 15% off sale going on until the 25th.