• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shorty 223 ackley improved?

Vettez06

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
RedBay Al
I'm looking to take my remington 700 223 and rebarrel the rifle with a 1/7 bartlien barrel I would prefer having it a 16-20" barrel to run with a suppressor. I'm wondering if many of yall are doing it and what kind of velocity are yall getting. I'll probably shoot the 80.5 gr bergers. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 19.5 (was supposed to be 20). I have only run 75 AMax's, and only pushed them to 3000fps with XBR8208. Never tried anything heavier. Fun little rifle to shoot.

Starting to buy stuff now for one and I am going 21'' threaded for my 30-p1 I went with a 1in8 for 75gr amaxs.I have been told one does not gain much with a 223ai in a longer barrel.Not trying to hijack but cjgemm how do u like the xbr8208 that's what I am going to try to use also I have 16lbs. on hand.

18.5" 1 in 8 twist barrel and I push 77SMK at 3000 FPS. Sorry, I won't pass along the load data. My gun has had the firing pin bushed and M16 extractor installed.
I only point this out because I cannot judge primer flow as an indication of pressure. I will say primer pockets don't last too long on the W-W brass.

18.5" 1 in 8 twist barrel and I push 77SMK at 3000 FPS. Sorry, I won't pass along the load data. My gun has had the firing pin bushed and M16 extractor installed.
I only point this out because I cannot judge primer flow as an indication of pressure. I will say primer pockets don't last too long on the W-W brass.

You should drop down to the 70gr berger and get even more out of the cartridge!

I am leaning toward a 18" barrel but wasn't for sure if I was gonna be losing a lot going that short. I'll try the 75 and 80 amax. What kind of barrel life can I expect with the 223 AI?

18" with 75 Amax's at 3040 via 8208, lapua brass, also have one that is a 20" same speed, I would not do a 20" again, I would stick with the 18"

Had a 22" for a while too, shot the best at 3050, I could get 3100 but it shot much better at 3050.

Starting to buy stuff now for one and I am going 21'' threaded for my 30-p1 I went with a 1in8 for 75gr amaxs.I have been told one does not gain much with a 223ai in a longer barrel.Not trying to hijack but cjgemm how do u like the xbr8208 that's what I am going to try to use also I have 16lbs. on hand.

I'll have to look back through my notes, was using rl15 till it got scarce for a while. That's when I switched to XBR8208 as a local shop seemed to always have it on the shelf. Want to try CFE223 some day as well.

You should drop down to the 70gr berger and get even more out of the cartridge!

Why should I? The 77SMK load is shooting under 3/4" for five at 300 yards. I have a target from a match I shot from bipod to prove that.
Besides, the gun is mostly a safe queen now. I have a lot of other rifles I shoot a lot more often.

19.5" here., threaded for my suppressor.
I've shot it in the high desert out to 1200 yards.
I shoot 75 AMAX's over a stiff charge of 8208XBR in LC brass with a bushed bolt face.
It's really hard to beat the AMAX's BC/cost ratio.

photo (17).jpg
Pardon the Mickey Mouse cheek riser.
I had it on hand and it works for the time being.

Just curious, but why is everyone running 75gr amax over the 80gr amax? 80gr seems to be a much better performer for the same price.

Nice rig MLC!!! Can't wait to get this build going. I guess I'm gonna go with a 18" 1/7 bartlien. Thanks