• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot a S&W M&P AR-15, not impressed...

Re: Shot a S&W M&P AR-15, not impressed...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Subsonic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh how I love being called a liar. A good friend of mine is John Noveske who has seen pics of the barrel. John told me not to show anyone and to let S&W make it right. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut like he said. Smart guy.

As I said before I will only post the pics if they fail to make it right. Even after being called a liar by some members. Had to tell one member to (Fuck Off) as he straight called me a liar.

Amazing how fast people will call you a liar with no proof. This board has changed from when I first joined. And not for the better! </div></div>
So John told you to shut your mouth and the only good advice you got before hand you passed up and now won't back it up with proof. You already slammed the name and complained and now you think that not a soul should ask you to back up your claim. If this is how you felt you should have kept the advice and shut the hell up. Like I stated before back it up your retract your comments

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I had an M&P that shot 3/4 MOA at 100 yards with ten round groups. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Doubt it. Not with that trigger and stock anyways. </div></div>

The trigger and stock don't make the bullet fly any straighter. It's the finger pulling the trigger that matters. </div></div>
Totally agree. My Dad is a former Master-class OTC Highpower guy from the M1 Garand days. He and I agree that a good shooter can get great results with a bad trigger. As long as it's not so heavy that muscle tremors become a factor...Can you say H&K VP-70Z????

White lie? I stick with my comment to you. Smith & Wesson is sending me a new upper and a letter to say they are sorry. I will post the letter and then you can read how sorry they (S&W) are for sending out a gun without any rifling in the barrel. And again thanks for calling me a liar! And yes you are still an ass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Subsonic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">White lie? I stick with my comment to you. Smith & Wesson is sending me a new upper and a letter to say they are sorry. I will post the letter and then you can read how sorry they (S&W) are for sending out a gun without any rifling in the barrel. And again thanks for calling me a liar! And yes you are still an ass! </div></div>
A person who questions is not an ass just seemed fishy how you would speak about but show no proof. I would love to see the letter signed by S&W. If you didn't question anything that people tell you wouldn't you be one of the worlds dumbest persons. I just like to have something that clearly backs up a persons comments to show the truth not speak of it. Glad to hear they are sending a new upper and I wish they were sending more than just a letter (Another rifle for free would be better) Sending a rifle through without checking much less a live fire session is more than stupid. Have a great night.

I don't really understand what the difference is between posting a picture and showing the letter they sent. Either way you are confirming the fact that they screwed up as a company and made a tremendous error. Don't take offense to this and I'm not trying to take sides, but it is fairly easy to forge a letter, but its not so easy to photograph a smooth-bore AR barrel. As stated above, anyone that reads this thread will read the comment about the barrel. Just food for thought. Wouldn't want anyone to lose any credibility over something so silly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Subsonic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bore was smaller than .224 so the button they pull must change internal specs.

</div></div>
Did you tell your buddy John Noveske that the bore was smaller than 224 and did he agree that was a problem?

Umm, that's not how rifles work. The i.d. should be smaller than the bullet prior to rifling or you'd be throwing a hotdog down a hallway.
The lands are smaller than the bullet and the biggest diameter (the "floor" of the grooves) should be .224". A match 308 barrel is Like .299 or .300 at the top of the lands and .308 at the base of the grooves.

No defense of S&W, they can screw up big time, and the smoothbore you got makes me chuckle. I know in their 5.45 models many went out with 5.56 barrels chambered for 5.45-speaking of throwing hotdogs down hallways......

I think the OP should have researched AR's in general and considered what he shot before "voicing an opinion" on an open forum that he's not impressed with a particular weapon.

I've seen a Remington Hepburn .45-70 with a smooth bore, and rifle sights. Odd things do happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That truly amazes me. I've never been a fan of S&W and after hearing that I'm glad I'm not. That's pathetic. There's really no other word to describe that. Hell it's false marketing! It's technically not a rifle lol!!</div></div>

Isn't it technically an NFA short-barrel shotgun? (< 18" ?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That truly amazes me. I've never been a fan of S&W and after hearing that I'm glad I'm not. That's pathetic. There's really no other word to describe that. Hell it's false marketing! It's technically not a rifle lol!!</div></div>

Isn't it technically an NFA short-barrel shotgun? (< 18" ?) </div></div>

That's a good question. I dont know what determines something to be a shotgun. Because I know there are 9mm shotshells and 22 lr shotshells I think CCI makes them. So, I guess ammunition doesn't declare it a shotgun. Although shotguns use plastic shells. There are shotguns with rifled barrels too. And those are considered shotguns. At least they are according to NJ fish game and wildlife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Subsonic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bore was smaller than .224 so the button they pull must change internal specs.

</div></div>
Did you tell your buddy John Noveske that the bore was smaller than 224 and did he agree that was a problem?

Umm, that's not how rifles work. The i.d. should be smaller than the bullet prior to rifling or you'd be throwing a hotdog down a hallway.
The lands are smaller than the bullet and the biggest diameter (the "floor" of the grooves) should be .224". A match 308 barrel is Like .299 or .300 at the top of the lands and .308 at the base of the grooves.

No defense of S&W, they can screw up big time, and the smoothbore you got makes me chuckle. I know in their 5.45 models many went out with 5.56 barrels chambered for 5.45-speaking of throwing hotdogs down hallways......

I think the OP should have researched AR's in general and considered what he shot before "voicing an opinion" on an open forum that he's not impressed with a particular weapon. </div></div>

The bore would be smaller than .224 on a smoothbore 5.56 barrel which hasn't had a button pulled thru. Depending on their button tool and whether it used a follower to press the lands back, to create a .219/224 finished bore diameter, the reamed hole may very well have been up to .220".. You're displacing metal from the reamed bore to the shape and size of the button tool, and with spring back depending on hardness of steel, you can ream a larger hole than finish bore diameter which will finish to the smaller correct size. So Yes, you are correct the button changes internal sizes, and the initial reamed hole prior to buttoning may not match any significantly related number for bore/groove dimension.

JR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Subsonic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh how I love being called a liar. A good friend of mine is John Noveske who has seen pics of the barrel. John told me not to show anyone and to let S&W make it right. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut like he said. Smart guy.

</div></div>

I'm just curious why you are friends with John Noveske and buying Smith and Wessons.

Really? I'd be proud to know Noveske and if I couldn't afford his wares, to have his expertise to tell me what mightn't be unforgiving would be a priceless affair.

I guess so much for everything too....lol...what a waste of bandwidth...no proof, bunch of hate and no-one is better off...

Not sure about jumping in on this one, but I will verify seeing the talked about rifle with a no rifles in the barrel as well as the blown out mag. Pictures or no pictures it for sure took the short track down the assembly line or around quality control. It can happen with anything and it sounds like Smith is standing behind it and making it right and that is what matters. Everyone makes mistakes just a good thing nobody got hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sendero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not sure about jumping in on this one, but I will verify seeing the talked about rifle with a no rifles in the barrel as well as the blown out mag. Pictures or no pictures it for sure took the short track down the assembly line or around quality control. <span style="font-weight: bold">It can happen with anything and it sounds like Smith is standing behind it and making it right and that is what matters. Everyone makes mistakes just a good thing nobody got hurt.</span> </div></div>

Yup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sorry that you have been called a liar. Nobody likes being branded untruthful or anything of the sort. I certainly did not intend to call you a liar or to make that implication and I apologize if you took it that way.

My intention in posting above was just to see pics of the barrel not to brand anyone a liar!! I just don't see what the big deal is since you already raised the complaint/issue in your earlier post. Since the cat's out of the bag and any damage is done now that anyone running a search for "issues" or "problems" (or [INSERT SEARCH TERM HERE]) and S&W will run across this thread. </div></div>
Here is my PM to MR. Dumb ass,
I think you should back your comment with a picture or else I am just going to have to call Bull on this one. You already complained and now won't back it up. It looks as if a story has gotten out of hand. Show us a picture or say your sorry for the white lie.

Here is his response,
Fuck you... I'm wating to see what they do for me. Why would I lie about something so small. Get fucked!

You are an ass!

END of his sad excuse. </div></div>I know this is beating a dead horse but Subsonic308 showed us that S/W mp-15 to my friend and I and everyone else in the store for that matter. Heck I even dried fired the trigger(which was nice as I might add) the week before anyone shot it, As a retailer for s/w I would not display pictures anyways. Same team same fight. Everyone here should be treated with respect we are Americans not some dirty Hajji. Keep it Professional Guys

I had a fried who bought a MP 15 in 5.45X39. When he fired it the case heads fire formed out and spilt. barrel was the correct diamter but had been chambered for some 6.8 cartrigde. We retuned it to J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ for another, same problem. He eventually got on in 223. I guess strange things happen at S&W. No rifling doesn't supprise me. I still don't know how the rifle could have past QC inspection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sorry that you have been called a liar. Nobody likes being branded untruthful or anything of the sort. I certainly did not intend to call you a liar or to make that implication and I apologize if you took it that way.

My intention in posting above was just to see pics of the barrel not to brand anyone a liar!! I just don't see what the big deal is since you already raised the complaint/issue in your earlier post. Since the cat's out of the bag and any damage is done now that anyone running a search for "issues" or "problems" (or [INSERT SEARCH TERM HERE]) and S&W will run across this thread. </div></div>
Here is my PM to MR. Dumb ass,
I think you should back your comment with a picture or else I am just going to have to call Bull on this one. You already complained and now won't back it up. It looks as if a story has gotten out of hand. Show us a picture or say your sorry for the white lie.

Here is his response,
Fuck you... I'm wating to see what they do for me. Why would I lie about something so small. Get fucked!

You are an ass!

END of his sad excuse. </div></div>I know this is beating a dead horse but Subsonic308 showed us that S/W mp-15 to my friend and I and everyone else in the store for that matter. Heck I even dried fired the trigger(which was nice as I might add) the week before anyone shot it, As a retailer for s/w I would not display pictures anyways. Same team same fight. Everyone here should be treated with respect we are Americans not some dirty Hajji. Keep it Professional Guys </div></div>
Keep it professional blew out the window at "F**k you" "Your an ass!" and still no letter or pics but all the same BS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine bought a S&W MP 15 in 5.45x39. It was expandinding the cases shoulder so it looked liked a 5.45 improved with splits where it was expanded. We took it back to the store he got it from (J@G Sales in Prescott, AZ) and they exchanged it for another, same problem. The problem was, as reported to me, it was chambered for some 6.8 round. What are the odds of 2 like that passing QC @ S&W. I wouldn't have belived it if I hadn't seen it myself. </div></div>

I have a 5.45x39 Smith upper, with an osprey gas piston, and love it, but the really bad thing about it is the 5.45x39 30 round mags. I can only load ten rounds in them for them to function reliably. If I'd knew that I would have bought the California ten round mags. I love the 5.45x39 ar, but its a waste of money, til someone makes a better mag for it.