• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot at 1000 for the first time, have a question

cookie91/38

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
murrieta, California
Hey guys,
I just recently got to shoot at 1000 yards for the first time ever. My rifle was a sps tactical in 308 using winchester 147gr .308. The first time I went out, there was absolutely no wind, and I was having a lot of success hitting a 2ftx2ft plate. I know 147 isn't great for 1000 but it's all I had. Now I just recently went again, and not only couldn't hit the target, but couldn't find a puff of smoke anywhere near it. There was wind this time where I was, but don't know about where the target was. Can wind affect a 147gr that much at 1000? Thanks for help in advance! Evan

What are you using to come up with your firing solution? I'm currently using an app on my phone called Shooter and it usually gets me pretty close on the first shot if I read the wind right.

Ah. I'd say a wind meter of some sort just became necessary.
I doubt it.

The problem is that you are wasting your time shooting at 1000 yards with 147 grain ball. You won't be able to consistently hit anything, and you won't be able to discover why you can't.

Get good match ammo and try it again.

I doubt it.

The problem is that you are wasting your time shooting at 1000 yards with 147 grain ball. You won't be able to consistently hit anything, and you won't be able to discover why you can't.

Get good match ammo and try it again.

Yeah after about 3 rounds I stopped. Il start buying 168 or 175s from now on