• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SHOT - Did anyone bust Bushnell's balls over Butler Creek Caps?

fireEMT5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
S.E. Minnesota, USA
Just wondering if anyone who attended SHOT 2014 took the time to take Bushnell to task over the quality control issues we've been seeing with Butler Creek scope caps? Please share if you learned anything.

I'm aware of Butler Creek covers breaking all the time but am I missing something about Bushnell owning Butler Creek or something?

Bushnell Outdoor products has owned Butler Creek as well as Tasco, Uncle Mikes, Stoney Point and a number of other companies for a while.

Bushnell purchased Butler Creek a while ago. Prior to them purchasing Butler Creek, their caps were some of the best on the market. After Bushnell bought them, they changed the type of plastic being used and basically turned them into the worst caps in history... of all time.

Did Bushnell specify a cheaper plastic? Or did the vendor prove once again that when you pay third world wages you get third world results.

Bushnell purchased Butler Creek a while ago. Prior to them purchasing Butler Creek, their caps were some of the best on the market. After Bushnell bought them, they changed the type of plastic being used and basically turned them into the worst caps in history... of all time.

Thanks for the the info. I didn't even know Bushnell had anything to do with Butler Creek.

Interesting. Any idea of what plastic they used to be made from and what the new stuff is?

OFG

You will have to go higher up in the food chain then Bushnell because ATK owns Bushnell now.

Best way to bust Bushnell's balls about them is to stop buying them.

$99 for a set of plastic caps? Get the fuck outta here.....

I was all in at 50 bucks, but for whatever reason they went to 100.

I'm sure some guys are perfectly OK with ponying up the cash for them. They certainly are nice.

There sure are a lot of Goldilockses on this site, bitch is it's a cheap piece of shit, bitch if it's too much. There should be a "it's just right" thread on here.

There sure are a lot of Goldilockses on this site, bitch is it's a cheap piece of shit, bitch if it's too much. There should be a "it's just right" thread on here.

Im sorry, but there has to be a middle ground between 20 bucks and 100. A hundred bones for a couple of bits of plastic such as this are simply ridiculous. Yes, I grasp why they are expensive, and I get that many here will pay that because its the new cool thing to do, but for the majority of us, it simply isnt logical.

Im sorry, but there has to be a middle ground between 20 bucks and 100. A hundred bones for a couple of bits of plastic such as this are simply ridiculous. Yes, I grasp why they are expensive, and I get that many here will pay that because its the new cool thing to do, but for the majority of us, it simply isnt logical.

Yes, I agree, 100 bucks for a pair is pretty high. But, what is the alternative? Who else has stepped up to the plate to offer a better product? We're getting off the original discussion, but I just don't think he deserves to be pounced on.

For me, the alternative is Weaver Polar caps for scopes they fit, bikini covers or none for those they don't. It simply makes no sense whatsoever to spend a hundred bucks on something like this, regardless of optics choice or choice. Im not pouncing on anyone, nor do I intend to. There is definitely a market for these, or they would not be selling them. I feel, however, that that market is quite small, and a fraction of a fraction of the market that a reasonably priced alternative would cater too.

Butelr Creek used to make very good, rugged caps, for a very reasonable price. Now they make cheap, brittle caps for the same price. You cannot seriously argue that a rugged, quality product could not be made at a price point more similar to the Butler Creek than Aadmount. Its been done before, it could be done again. Until then, they simply arent a cruicial enough item to spend that kind of dough on.

Holy Shit guys............. I was simply curious if anyone took up the issue with Bushnell or whomever up the chain with the preceived high failure rate of Bulter Creek caps and if there was any remedy in the works.

Please, please don't be dog piling and hating on Jon Aadland and his line of caps in this thread.

Jon A., please don't lump me in with these haters! I'm considering buying 3 sets of your caps for my SS scopes.

Now please guys, lets get back on topic and if anyone took up the issue, please post ATK's or Bushnells reply.

You know you can buy them in bulk and they are not that expensive. I keep 2 sets in my range bag. It's just a matter of time before you have one flipped up and you snap it off hitting a fence or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do not lose hope gents...and SAVE YOUR BROKEN BUTLER CREEKS! A fix is in the works. Like any side project, paying work has taken priority and life got in the way, but my understanding is that this project is back on track. A bullet proof replacement cover that cures the weak link and once anodized will take paint really well. Also, the price will be right.

Those Aadmounts do look very nice, but the BC multiflex seems decent as well and even better for $9 per pc. (ocular and obj). I just cant see putting up $300 for flip scope covers for 3 rifles.

Those are nice, but they are 2x the price they were supposed to be when AAD starting talking about making them.
There must be a misunderstanding. The price hasn't changed. $50 a cap was my target from the very beginning. And as I said, I will try to bring down the cost in the future once we get our head above water on these things a bit.

As for whether they're worth it, that's not for me to argue. That's entirely up to the customer. And for a brand new product that we haven't even tried really advertising, when the orders are coming in faster than we can make them (a large percentage from repeat customers), the message is pretty loud and clear.

There must be a misunderstanding. The price hasn't changed. $50 a cap was my target from the very beginning. And as I said, I will try to bring down the cost in the future once we get our head above water on these things a bit.

As for whether they're worth it, that's not for me to argue. That's entirely up to the customer. And for a brand new product that we haven't even tried really advertising, when the orders are coming in faster than we can make them (a large percentage from repeat customers), the message is pretty loud and clear.

My apologies then. I understood them to be 50 dollars for the pair....which I deemed realistic for a pair of plastic (albeit hi quality plastic) but still plastic- covers. So that is my fault.

For 100 dollars, I would look towards aluminum, but that's just me. Everyone has their own ideas of how to spend their money.

I am glad they are selling well for you, and I wish you continued success with them.

IIRC, the Aadland covers have a lifetime replacement warranty. No questions asked? Jon, tell me if I am wrong.
Jon is a stand up guy. Next covers I need I will have no problem paying the price for his.

IIRC, the Aadland covers have a lifetime replacement warranty. No questions asked? Jon, tell me if I am wrong.
Jon is a stand up guy. Next covers I need I will have no problem paying the price for his.

You would be correct they are the NICEST cap option i have laid hands on, i have broken 3 sets of BC caps on my rifle. Never again will i break a scope cap. Tonight i even removed the cap from the scope while using JUST THE LID!! grabbed it and manhandled it off the scope body.

They are worth it all my scopes will wear one.

I have a pair of Jon's caps, and they are extremely well made, to say the least.

You guys know this sport is far from cheap. I've had my affair with those shitty BC caps, and no mas! It could be, and that I just have had bad luck with them, but I have cycled through a couple of sets of those things. Leupold Alumina's are not cheap, either.

The concern, for most of us, is how can we best protect the glass on our 1-4000.00 (more for you Tangent Theta fans ;) ) scopes.

Jon has given us a damn viable option. Just like I treat rings and cattails for my scopes, Jon's covers will become an implied cost when buying optics.

I have had Jon's caps for a couple months now and I still can't imagine them wearing out, but as I have said before, time provides the ultimate gauntlet for them...

I have stopped using Butler Creek caps because they ALWAYS break. I hope the company hears from this group's experience.

If you break 3 pair of BC caps within a few years (I know some have broken two pair during a weekend before), there's your $100 plus you have to buy a 4th pair. If the AAD are that strong and have a lifetime warranty then, that's $100 well spent IMHO.

SHOT - Did anyone bust Bushnell's balls over Butler Creek Caps?

I am so done with butler creek. In the cold up here they snap like rice paper - even when I'm just at the range.

I have stopped using Butler Creek caps because they ALWAYS break. I hope the company hears from this group's experience.

Phone up bc and tell them to mail you some new caps. I've gotten 6 replacements already. Eventually this practice will become cost prohibitive and the company will make the necessary changes.

Phone up bc and tell them to mail you some new caps. I've gotten 6 replacements already. Eventually this practice will become cost prohibitive and the company will make the necessary changes.

Tikka, I took your advice and called Bushnell today, and they are sending me a replacement. I had written off the broken cap until I saw your suggestion. Thanks