• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Shot my first bear

Redbeard80

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2008
west coast
I shot my first bear this weekend called it in and shot it at an extremly long range of 28.5 yards with a 7mm Rem. mag with my dad. It was a sow aged somewhere between 10-15 years old and about 175lb. It come in so fast it was on my call in less than 30 seconds after she come into view. I had only been calling for 8-10 minutes when she showed up. Is there a way to post a picture without a photo bucket acount? I have it on facebook.

Re: Shot my first bear

Congratulations, sounds like an adventure. I think you need to get an account at one of the photo hosting sites if you want to post pictures. Doesn't need to be Photobucket, but they seen as good as any.

"It come in so fast it was on my call in less than 30 seconds after she come into view. I had only been calling for 8-10 minutes when she showed up"

maybe you can clear that up a little better.

also, what state?

It was in Oregon. I was calling for 8-10 minutes when she came running in only about 75 yards of the skidder trail was visible. The call was 28.5 yards in front of me and she stopped and stood up about 5feet from the call then ran right up on the decoy and call that is when I shot her head on in the cheast hitting the heart rolling her over and she got up and ran 30yards and was dead.
Thanks MTAR 15 I'm going to set up a photobucket account so I can post a pic.

005.jpg

010.jpg

I should have moved the bear out of the hole it was in to a log or stump to take the picture but I didn't think of that untill later.

Well done! Calling in a bear really gets the blood pumping! Beautiful fur on that one.

Thanks PGS we cut the tracks of two lions and tried to call in one, the other one was a couple of days old so we didn't make a set on it. I have a new rifle comming soon from RWS and I think I am going to order one of your slings to try out. I forgot to mention there was a a bigger bear in the same area I am going to try and get in the fall or find next spring I think it was a big boar.

Great job! I'm also in Oregon and I've often thought of using a call for bear but usually busy callin other stuff.
Question: Were you targeting bear? or calling for something else and it just showed up?

Nice looking bear...sounds exciting to call one in like that.

I have killed two bears going back again in september

What were you using to call it in? I am planning to try fall bear in Alsea, along with looking for some cat. New to the whole thing.

STNOSU, I was using a foxpro, mule deer fawn distress and the non-moving decoy in the photo can not remember the brand right now. It was on a old skidder trail. I just moved form Monmouth Oregon in january lived their for 19 years. Find some fresh sign and set up and start calling and keep a look out I would recomend having someone with you.

Looks like a nice healthy bear. Beautiful cape too!
Nothing like an adrenaline rush of calling in a bear and only having seconds to react before they are right on top of you.
We have some rather unusual black bears up here, the genetic pool makes them mostly blonde. Cheerleader blonde.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redbeard80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WARDOG how hard is it to get a bear tag in Nevada? thanks Redbeard
thanks Garret </div></div>

Red-
I'm in the Sierra Nevada MOUNTAINS, western slope still in northern California, in Nevada County north of Truckee. The area I hunt has more bear than deer, you just choose the size and color to fill your tag. You could even pick the day and location if you sit on a trail. I hunt solo, NO dogs,NO bait, but I use a manual predator call: fawn, rabbit, bear cub. No mechanical waggers either.
As I understand it, Nevada just reopened its bear season after a couple of decades, only issuing a handful of tags.
Other than that I don't know much about bear hunting in Nevada.
One thing for sure is that mountain Blackbear meat tastes MUCH better than city garbage eaters.

Thanks Wardog I looked at Nevada fish and game sight and saw it would be hard. I shot this in one in the spring and it tasted great 20 miles outside of Lakeveiw Oregon. I have looked into hunting bears In California and might try it in a year or two. It looks like I might be moving to Medford and there is some great bear hunting around there. I was only got out a couple of times in the fall as I have had to work a lot because we are short handed. I only saw one bear this fall a small cinnamon maybe 100lbs, so I let it go.

Congrats! Nice looking bear. This is on my list for next year. I haven't hunted bear before and i want to do it. I also live in oregon and have a few friends that do alot of bear hunting.

Great work! I've hunted bears lots of ways including with dogs but it never occurred to me to try to call one in. That is very cool. Congrats!

Cheers,
Richard