• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition shot my first f/tr comp today!!!

robtech

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2012
i haven't had my r700 aac-sd for very long and had only shot it twice and never more than 200 yards so today was my third time with the rifle (and shooting anything scoped or any distance for that matter) it's stock with a harris bipod, millet 4-16, tps rings, 20 degree badger base...i forgot to tune the trigger pull down on the x-trigger so it was set at factory stiff

course of fire: we did what around here they call the folsom special...2 convertible sighters, 10 shots for record at 300/500/600/800.

the results: (__) = sighter, X obviously = bullseye
300:
(9)(8) 8 7 9 8 9 9 9 9 10 10
500:
(7)(8) x x 10 8 7 x x 10 10 9
600:
(9)(9) 9 9 8 9 10 9 7 8 x 10
800:
(10)(8) 8 6 x 9 9 8 9 6 9 10

i was shooting FGGM with the 168 sierra...out @ 800 wind gusts screwed me a few time with the 2 6's but i had a great time...definitely hooked!

Re: shot my first f/tr comp today!!!

i used the Strelok ballistic calc app on my phone for my sight ins and it worked great! it put me in within .1 mil on the elevation...windage i did hold overs cuz it was gusting pretty bad and changing direction from straight sideways to slightly towards me to slightly away from me...their recommended windage adj was typically within .25 mil of actual

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i haven't had my r700 aac-sd for very long and had only shot it twice and never more than 200 yards so today was my third time with the rifle (and shooting anything scoped or any distance for that matter) it's stock with a harris bipod, millet 4-16, tps rings, <span style="font-weight: bold">20 degree </span>badger base...i forgot to tune the trigger pull down on the x-trigger so it was set at factory stiff

course of fire: we did what around here they call the folsom special...2 convertible sighters, 10 shots for record at 300/500/600/800.

the results: (__) = sighter, X obviously = bullseye
300:
(9)(8) 8 7 9 8 9 9 9 9 10 10
500:
(7)(8) x x 10 8 7 x x 10 10 9
600:
(9)(9) 9 9 8 9 10 9 7 8 x 10
800:
(10)(8) 8 6 x 9 9 8 9 6 9 10

i was shooting FGGM with the 168 sierra...out @ 800 wind gusts screwed me a few time with the 2 6's but i had a great time...definitely hooked! </div></div>

20 degree base? Wow. That's not riflery, that's artillery.

You might want to stop doing things in mil and start doing things in MOA for F-class.

Welcome to the sickness.

sorry not degree base, lol 20 moa...you know what i meant damnit!! im just stoked right now

Of course, I knew. But it's cathartic to get teased when you have a great experience.

And I am serious about the mil vs MOA thing.

Let the fun begin.

A word of caution, don't try to use the 168s at 1000, they don't make it. The steep tail on them hurts the BC and I think it's part of what causes them to tumble when they go transonic. I've been in the pits when someone was trying to use them, they were all over the place with lots of keyholes.

I'm a little surprised at your 900 yard performance with the.

Check out Southwest Ammo loaded with 175s, Hide Sponsor and I've seen guys shoot them at 600 and hold vertical inside of the 10 ring for sure.

i have a box of 178 amax's ready to be loaded up on the press but i only heard about the match a couple days prior and havent had time to do much load developement yet, plus the FGGM sierras were on sale and i knew they'd probably be ok out to 800...definitely dont plan on trying to tap 1000 with em because of that transonic instability issue.

honestly my biggest surprise that i didnt have more fliers with that crappy stock the aac comes with that makes contact with the barrel when it's bipoded...granted my "fliers" may have been the 9s and 8s and i just dont know because i have shot anything better yet.

the most exciting part was @ 500 that second pair of "x" i actually blew the dowel off the target from the first x with the second one...stacking shots like that from a distance like that was a first for me.

mil vs moa...i actually really like the mil...the reticle has .5 mil hash marks so hold overs for windage were very easy for me.

Nice...I should have made the time to make it down to Sac Valley this weekend!

Did they class you as "F-T/R" or in "Tactical"? I think the tac shooters use the standard highpower targets, not the smaller f-class version. Good shooting either way though!

it was a lot of fun...there was about 50 people, 2 groups...tactical was on saturday...i looked at their course of fire and it was pretty intense (for me) about 50 seconds to get ready (which i woulda been fine with) and then 45 seconds for 3-5 shots...the move to the next distance etc...i'd be game but not ready yet.

but yes i was with f-t/r and we used the f targets for each distance...the guy shooting the high power targets were shooting like iron sight ARs with handloads...the guy i was teamed up with his son was shooting that and ejected one of his casing down the small gap in my shorts...so long story short i started tweaking out trying to get it out, but my shorts and the bottom of my shirt held it in place...he was shooting some pretty hot handloads and those cases were scorching...long story short i actually have a second degree burn on my lower back from it...small, i dont care, but it was pretty funny...granted he was bouncing shells all over me all day...next time i'n taking the other lane that sucked cuz the rest of the time they'd either hit me in the temple or land between my shoulder blades and sit there til it got so hot i had to knock it off...

Rob

Glad you made it out and had a good time. I was the one running the match & line while the regular match director is out of town. Hope you can make it back for the 3x600 in October.

for those of you reading this. I squaded all the scoped 308 rifles in F-T/R and they all shot on the regulation F class targets at each distance....as did the tactical rifle shooters.

this course of fire, what we call a Folsom Special (because our range is owned by the Folsom Shooting Club) is a great way to get new shooters out there. Since it starts at only 300 yards it's not intimidating, and 300 is close enough that even if someone comes out with an unzeroed scope we can get them on target within a few shots (which we did today BTW).

Now you know why HP sling shooters often wear a *hooded* sweat shirt under their shooting coats, even in July/August - not because it feels good, but it hurts less than getting a hot shell casing down the back of your neck when all tied up with a gun, sling, and coat. It doesn't have anything to do with how 'hot' his hand loads are; spent cases coming out of an AR-15 are freaking hot regardless, more so if they find a tender spot
wink.gif

Usually most gas-gunners that aren't newbies or shooting club guns 'neuter' their ejectors - trim a little bit off the ejector spring so the gun will throw the cases forward @ 1-2 o'clock rather than back @ 3-4 o'clock at the shooter next to 'em. Might suggest that next time...
wink.gif

this raises a question for me...what class would i normally be in then? stock r700, bipod, 4-16x scope??

also, i had a great time pthfndr and you guys did a good job with it today...esp since it wasnt hat you were used to running

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this raises a question for me...what class would i normally be in then? stock r700, bipod, 4-16x scope??</div></div>

Right where you were, in F-T/R. That class is for scoped rifles shooting the .308W or .223Rem cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also, i had a great time pthfndr and you guys did a good job with it today...esp since it wasnt hat you were used to running </div></div>

Thanks. I run the monthly NCPPRC tactical long range match, and have been for several years now, but our format is different. I shoot the HP matches, and run the line and pits sometimes. But being in charge of one is a bit different.

i read the course fo fire for the tac match on sat...i'd be game to give it a try as long as i get my dope sheet down and tape it to my rifle

and you're welcome, i had a blast, i'll be back every time

OP - thanks for posting - no offense intended towards you - quite the contrary - thanks for posting. Great to have someone like yourself post empirical data using a factory rifle and factory ammo.

A quick analysis, assuming you shot on the real F-Class target, not the sling and coat target - so, of the 40 record shots, at 300 yards where wind is not a great factor (compared to where most F Class is shot - 600 on back to 1000) - you managed 13 of them MOA or better (10s and Xs). The 6 put you in the 4 MOA+ dispersion range for your 40 shots. That's 32% MOA or better, 68% over MOA.

This should serve as an abject lesson in reality for the "half minute, all day long, if I do my part" crowd.

Hope you found it fun and want to come back for more!

Robtech,

Glad you had a good time at Sac Valley. I was the guy at the pole barn cleaning the snow camo rifle.

We're lucky to have match directors like Rob and Jim O. that just want shooters to come out and shoot regardless of their equipment meets the "official specs". I am willing to bet that our HP program at Sac Valley is the most accommodating one for guys that do not roll sling and coat, or pure F-Class.

None taken...i feel i did very well for myself given my experience.

Vu...agreed, cool to know some of you are on here too and everyone there was super friendly...i was the guy with the blue tarp for a shooting mat lol