• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot show 2012

Vitorum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
TN
Can anyone register to attend or do you have to be FFL/manufacturer of some kind?

Re: Shot show 2012

Just gotta register, a few of my friends who work in the auto industry with me (nothing to do with guns) are going.

How much does it cost? Why did shootist2004 say it's not open to public?

It is only open to industry (shooting, hunting, firearms delaers, gunsmiths, etc.) and you have to provide credentials or documentation after registration.

I would imagine HB's friends know someone that added them onto their registration.

You can review the requirements here:
https://www.compusystems.com/servlet/ar?evt_uid=461&campaigncode=CampSE

Attendee Registration Identification & Validation

Attendance at the SHOT Show is RESTRICTED to the shooting, hunting and outdoor trade and commercial buyers and sellers of military, law enforcement and tactical products and services ONLY. The show is not open to the public, and NO one under age 16 shall be admitted (including infants).

Attendees and guests seeking admission to the show must submit the following information at the time of registration (whether online at shotshow.org or in-person at the show):
•Current and valid government issued photo identification (e.g. driver’s license, passport, etc.)
PLUS
•Documentation demonstrating current shooting, hunting and outdoor trade affiliation or commercial involvement in the military, law enforcement or tactical markets
Note: Show exhibitors and media subject to different credentialing requirements.

Acceptable Documentation Demonstrating Trade or Market Affiliation

In addition to current and valid government issued photo identification, attendees must provide at least one of the following:
•Purchase order or invoice issued or received by your company dated within the last 6 months for shooting, hunting, and related outdoor, military, law enforcement or tactical products or services. Invoices and receipts must show your company name and current business address
•Business license that includes your company name and business address and which describes your company as related to the shooting, hunting or outdoor trade or the military, law enforcement or tactical markets (Federal and/or State Tax ID will not be accepted)
•Resale certificate that includes your company name and business address and which describes your company as related to the shooting, hunting or outdoor trade or the military, law enforcement or tactical markets
•Commercial lease identifying your company name and current business address and which sufficiently demonstrates your company affiliation with the shooting, hunting or outdoor trade or the military, law enforcement or tactical markets
•Company business advertisement in a print magazine, journal, etc. published during the last 6 months related to the shooting, hunting or outdoor trade or the military, law enforcement or tactical markets
•Company website identifying your company name and current business address and which sufficiently demonstrates your company affiliation with the shooting, hunting or outdoor trade or the military, law enforcement or tactical markets
•A letter of intent from an attorney or bank on official letterhead stating that you intend to start a business related to the shooting, hunting or outdoor trade or the military, law enforcement or tactical markets (this is acceptable for new businesses only)
•Current employee ID card with photo issued by a business in the shooting, hunting or outdoor trade or the military, law enforcement or tactical markets
•Other appropriate documentation that clearly demonstrates, as solely determined by show management, you or your company is affiliated with the shooting, hunting or outdoor trade or the military, law enforcement or tactical markets

Registrations submitted without current and valid identification AND documentation demonstrating trade or market affiliation will not be processed. The show reserves the right to permit or deny admission to anyone based on information provided, to accept or reject information submitted, and to request additional information, at any time.

YOU MUST REGISTER BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR CREDENTIALS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much does it cost? Why did shootist2004 say it's not open to public? </div></div>

I think it was $20 this year. It's not open to the public, you can't just walk up to the front door and pay $20 to get it. You have to register and I think the deadline was about a month ago. You're supposed to have a reason to be there but like I said my buddies go and we're in the auto industry. If it makes you feel better, you're not really missing anything trade shows like this and SEMA (I've done SEMA many times) are dying because of the rising fees almost everything is exclusively major manufactures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would imagine HB's friends know someone that added them onto their registration.
</div></div>

We're in R&D (heavy diesel) and do a lot of trade shows, I've never done the leg work so I don't know what they're saying to get in but they go every year. I get the invite every year but once you've seen one you've seem 'em all and it's not worth the price of the plane ticket.

You can still register but HB is right that you aren't missing much. It's a trade show for companies to market their products. Lots of free literature and little trinkets (an occasional shirt maybe) but you can't really buy any products there. If you want to go and see what's new or get your hands on an item you are thinking about buying then it may be worthwhile but otherwise it's really just an opportunity for people to showcase their products.

If you are a dealer of somekind there are often show specials from manufacturers with special pricing for quantities but they ship after the show to your business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Attendance at the SHOT Show is RESTRICTED to .... sellers of military</div></div>

Oh, that's how we get in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

We're in R&D and do a lot of trade shows, I've never done the leg work so I don't know what they're saying to get in but they go every year. I get the invite every year but once you've seen one you've seem 'em all and it's not worth the price of the plane ticket. </div></div>

I here ya HB. I have done Sema and Shot and have no desire to do either again. I am only 4.5 hours away driving and still don't go. I was invited to Shot this year and would much rather burn vacation days doing other things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

We're in R&D and do a lot of trade shows, I've never done the leg work so I don't know what they're saying to get in but they go every year. I get the invite every year but once you've seen one you've seem 'em all and it's not worth the price of the plane ticket. </div></div>

I here ya HB. I have done Sema and Shot and have no desire to do either again. I am only 4.5 hours away driving and still don't go. I was invited to Shot this year and would much rather burn vacation days doing other things. </div></div>

SEMA is sucking especially hard lately. I think all of these trade shows are going south, I heard that even CES was pretty lame this year and I almost signed up for that one.

Well if it's not that great the screw it. lol.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well if it's not that great the screw it. lol.
smile.gif
</div></div>

IMHO it depends on what you want out of it. If you want to poke around and your in Vegas anyway you can find a way to get in and have fun looking around, might be worth it.

The show is so huge now it's a pain to go around and see everything, you can't buy much of anything, there are so many gifty-whatever type of booths you wonder how they got in.

Infinity years ago (OK, mid '90s) it was more manageable. Now you sometimes get in a traffic jam in front of certain booths. I go every three years or so and don't miss it at all when I don't go. Frankly I'd rather spend my money on ammo or a hunt, just me.

It is not open to the public as mentioned several times, you have to be in the trades involved and it is a trade show. I went 2 years ago thru my trade in the hunting business and would never go again. way to big and way to many people and is very frustrating if you want to talk with any one. it is formulated for mfg. like Bushmaster for example to meet with the buyers of Cabelas to sit down in closed rooms and discuss how many pieces they are going to buy of the latest and greatest and how much it will cost them. really not meant for the average joe and very hard to get up close to any of the big companies. not a good time in my mind and could of bought a nice gun for what it all cost when said and done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you heard CES was pretty lame????
it just started today... </div></div>

Yep... <span style="text-decoration: underline">Today</span> is when I posted that.

It is good for face-to-face type networking and getting a look at new developments in firearms, equipment, optics, etc.. A significant amount of orders are also placed by FFLs and the like at the show. If you are not involved in the industry then it is good to see once; but little benefit after that IMHO. I go to try to drum up some contracts from OEMs as a member of the National Defense Industrial Association; but with all the cuts in defense this year it will be tough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just gotta register, a few of my friends who work in the auto industry with me (nothing to do with guns) are going. </div></div>

You can't "just register"..... You have to be involved with the industry as a mass consumer (dealer) or be a supplier of parts or firearms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just gotta register, a few of my friends who work in the auto industry with me (nothing to do with guns) are going. </div></div>

You can't "just register"..... You have to be involved with the industry as a mass consumer (dealer) or be a supplier of parts or firearms. </div></div>

Sometimes it's a good idea to read the whole thread before responding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just gotta register, a few of my friends who work in the auto industry with me (nothing to do with guns) are going. </div></div>

You can't "just register"..... You have to be involved with the industry as a mass consumer (dealer) or be a supplier of parts or firearms. </div></div>

Sometimes it's a good idea to read the whole thread before responding. </div></div>

No shit? I know how the show works....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just gotta register, a few of my friends who work in the auto industry with me (nothing to do with guns) are going. </div></div>

Sometimes it's a good idea to read the whole thread before responding. </div></div>

No shit? I know how the show works.... </div></div>

So if you read the whole thread why did you post redundant info that has already been hashed out in this thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okrebel92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering why this needed a bump. </div></div>

Sorry, didn't know you were with the bump police, next time I'll check with you first.

I was trying to make it easy for arnygollott3 to find as it's relevant to his question in his thread unlike your post in this one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just gotta register, a few of my friends who work in the auto industry with me (nothing to do with guns) are going. </div></div>

KYS338, are you a Dealer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okrebel92</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering why this needed a bump. </div></div>

Sorry, didn't know you were with the bump police, next time I'll check with you first.

I was trying to make it easy for arnygollott3 to find as it's relevant to his question in his thread unlike your post in this one...

</div></div>
Settle down skippy no need to get your panties in a wad.

I got into the 2009 SHOT show without any conceivable firearms industry affiliation. Pre-registration is just name, address and fee--no docs are required at that time. I asked my FFL dealer if he'd let me use a copy of his certificate to validate my entry and he consented. When I showed up in person to the SHOT show, I just showed them "my" certificate. They asked how I was associated with "Guns, Inc." (a hypothetical name) and after having driven 6hr I wasn't going back home immediately so I said I was an employee. That was good enough for them.

As to the quality of the show itself, I agree, I wouldn't recommend it except for one reason... if you're truly curious about custom 1911's, there's a booth rented by the '11 gunsmiths of <span style="font-style: italic">Louderthanwords.us</span>; most of the 'smiths usually has at least one finished sample on display (and maybe even for sale). Wilson Combat doesn't have a booth there, but if you wanna compare the works of Les Baer to Ed Brown to the likes of C.T. Brian, Ned Christiansen, Stan Chew, et. al., you couldn't find a better place to do it. The good thing was, as a personal convenience, the display booths for Ed Brown and<span style="font-style: italic"> Louderthanwords.us</span> were in the same aisle, and the Baer booth was about 70yd around the corner from Ed Brown. (At the risk of "stirring the shit", if you've got in mind a wonderment about Wilson vs. Brian, Chew (et. al), just use the Browns to compare against the LTW works; in my opinion, Wilsons and Browns are finished comparably. Like custom hotrodding, custom 1911's cost according to the law of diminishing returns, and though extremely expensive, the extraneous and 'luxurious' differences of the LTW smiths are apparent.) And it was a nice place to see all the different models of Shiloh Sharps rifles, too--at 2009, they were directly across from the <span style="font-style: italic">Louderthanwords.us</span> booth.

It is claimed by some of the vendors that it would take 2-4 days to see "everything"; I did it in 3hr--there are a few thousand vendors as I recall. I was as 'unimpressed' with most of it as are the majority of posters here.

If large and diverse inventories aren't available for you to hold and inspect firearms you're curious about, the SHOT show can be a 'worthwhile' overnight trip. Maps were provided showing all the vendors' locations, so it's not laid out completely haphazardly like a flea market or the usual 'local' gun show. You can find exactly one booth in the entire show with their map if you've a mind to. If you're curious to inspect something(s) not locally available, that'd be the only reason I'd recommend a visit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: unrepentant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It is claimed by some of the vendors that it would take 2-4 days to see "everything"; I did it in 3hr--there are a few thousand vendors as I recall. I was as 'unimpressed' with most of it as are the majority of posters here.
</div></div>
Weird because I walked for 3 days and didnt even come close to seeing everything. I even skipped the whole wing devoted to paintball and most of the outdoor stuff.