• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SHOT SHOW REPORT: BUSHNELL 1-6.5 HD

ccoker

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
Central Texas
www.tacticalgunreview.com
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_46V58bOTMU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_46V58bOTMU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: SHOT SHOW REPORT: BUSHNELL 1-6.5 HD

I really wish they would show us the reticles in these...

Hardly any of the reviews this year are showing the reticle. Its probably one of the top features people are interested in seeing with FFP tactical scopes.

It's one of the make-or-break features for me. So far, no one seems to have gotten it right excepts for Leupold with their CQBSS w/ Horus reticle and IOR's 1-10x. Not a single other reticle that is useful for wind + elevation hold-over combinations at the high end of the magnification. They add those features to these stupid BDC reticles, but not to the mil-based ones... makes no sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hardly any of the reviews this year are showing the reticle. Its probably one of the top features people are interested in seeing with FFP tactical scopes.

It's one of the make-or-break features for me. So far, no one seems to have gotten it right excepts for Leupold with their CQBSS w/ Horus reticle and IOR's 1-10x. Not a single other reticle that is useful for wind + elevation hold-over combinations at the high end of the magnification. They add those features to these stupid BDC reticles, but not to the mil-based ones... makes no sense. </div></div>

+1

Put that dot and horseshoe on the G2DMR and now you've got something. This generation of scope is just a stepping stone to getting to that.

We're conditioned to using our reticles for wind and elevation hold-overs in our boltguns. Why would we not do the same in an AR on the settings where we can see reticle hashes, for longer range shots? DFP setups or secondary reticle features solve the problem of not seeing the reticle at the low end of the magnification, where you don't need it anyway. I would prefer that the main reticle to disappear at the lower magnification... makes the scope more like an Aimpoint. Add a feature like PR's V8 where the illumination switches automatically from the reticle to the SFP dot when you cross the 3x setting.

Case in point Meopta's new 1-4 ZD scope is a great scope, it has great glass, an Aimpoint bright reticle for CQB work, but the reticle sucks - no hash marks for holds for wind or moving targets, and 2 mil chevrons for holds overs. Try suggesting they change it, and they're not interested.

This Bushnell looks to be a hell of a 3-gun/patrol rifle optic.

When you dial this thing down to 1x it truly does look like a dot sight. I tried both the SFP and FFP versions and the FFP is the clear winner here.

I didn't have a chance to get it outside, but I don't have any reason to believe it's not daylight visible. They also added NV settings.

We got some coverage of the HDMR and 1-6.5 and should have it up soon.

The Kahles 1-6 reticle is very interesting
Has hold points for normal and fast walkers
and it was the brightest at the show
The Reticle was VERY bright against the bright lights at the show and didn't wash out

ccoker said:
The Kahles 1-6 reticle is very interesting
Has hold points for normal and fast walkers
and it was the brightest at the show
The Reticle was VERY bright against the bright lights at the show and didn't wash out [/quote

Interesting, that snuck in under the radar. Aimpoint bright reticle?

I would say so..
I have used Kahles hunting scopes and have always been impressed.

I went back by the booth on Friday late in the day to get a detailed vidoe review but they had packed up already

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: petagunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hesitant to put anything bushnell on any of my weapons, but there is that thing about being curious...... </div></div>

Not sure what's behind that comment...

I have a 4200 FFP 3-12x on my SPR and a new HDMR G2 on my bolt gun; very pleased with both. Suggest you check out their current line before writing them off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: petagunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hesitant to put anything bushnell on any of my weapons, but there is that thing about being curious...... </div></div>

Not sure what's behind that comment...

I have a 4200 FFP 3-12x on my SPR and a new HDMR G2 on my bolt gun; very pleased with both. Suggest you check out their current line before writing them off. </div></div>

Really wasn't anything behind that comment, just hvae not had good luck with past offerings. I will check out their current line when I can though.

What do the turrets in this thing look like?

i had a good look at this scope at the Shot Show also and I was quite impressed. I don't know how 'tought' it will be in the field but it looked to me as if Bushnell has done their homework.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threefeathers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had a good look at this scope at the Shot Show also and I was quite impressed. I don't know how 'tought' it will be in the field but it looked to me as if Bushnell has done their homework.</div></div>

Not to be contrary, but I wasn't overly impressed with the glass or the feel of the Bushnell 1-6.5 at SHOT. I thought the FFP's illuminated reticle was a hit, but overall it wasn't anything I'd spend $1k+ on. I was bummed about it, because it really seemed perfect for my P-308. Leupold's Mark 6 was a significant step up to me, and I'm gonna go with SWFA's 1-6 when it gets released vs the Bushnell. I've been very impressed with price vs performance with the Super Snipers.

Just one man's opinion, but the Bushnell just didn't seem like a $1300 scope, despite the awesome magnification range.