• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot timers

Scarface26

knuckle dragger
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Southeast OK
Gents,

Seeing recommendations for a shot timer. Currently use the PACT club timer and have used the CED timer. Looking for something robust and simple to use.

Thanks in advance.

God bless America

Reactions: Don-n-Texas
I’m using the pocket pro 2. I like it, but it’s bulky. The ced is nice but annoying to have to hit a second button to start a new string.

Reactions: Redfisher60
I'll have to check that one out. Concur on the CED, and it decided to stop taking a charge after a year and a half. Looking at the Mk IV from PACT as well. Whatever I end up with, I'd like it to be the last one I have to get.

God bless America

I have the CED and like it. It is small. It won't pick up pistol dry fire, but will pick up the slide going home. I use it for practicing dry fire multiple times a week. I'm sure it sees a lot more beeps in rapid succession than a lot of them do. I have to charge it like once a month and it has never really run out of juice on me. A session is usually 15-30 mins and the par time is set to around 1.2 for reloads so it beeps a lot. I don't think it would have any issue going to an all day match.

Pros:
- Small size
- Easy to use once learned
- I like the software interface - it makes sense to me.
- Good battery life.
- The beep volume can be adjusted (not sure how many others do this)
- I like having the start and review button both on the front and top. Makes it easy to operate no matter what. Haven't done it, but don't think it would be a problem to use it with gloves on if you are scorekeeping at a match.

Cons:
- Kind of PIA that they want you to buy all of the accessories. The case, belt clip, etc. It would be nice to have something besides a lanyard in the box. I think I'm going to try and use some velcro on it to stick to my gear.
- Small screen, but I also think the small size of the unit is nice. I can live with this.
- The button printing sucks. You have to learn the buttons because reading them is really hard due to non-contrasting letters. They are pretty small, but the ones you use the most are also up top.
- Doesn't pick up dry fire like it states. Not aware of any that do.

For the complaints above:
- The CED can restart without hitting the second button. Have to RTFM and change the option.
- You can also change the battery out. Mine is new so no issues here, but I wouldn't expect to have to in a year and a half.

Reactions: jd138
The AMG Labs timer is awesome. Great tool for dryfire. And if your matches are set up for electronic scoring, it can bluetooth the times straight to the scoring ipad.

Reactions: Redfisher60
After breaking 2 CED timers, I bought a Pocket Pro 2, its a good timer, not as easy to use as the CED, but if I was in the market for a timer I would get on the list for a AMG.

can we talk about why shot timers are so expensive? it's a box that beeps that tracks a noise.

how come i can buy a smart watch/fitbit that does all kinds of wild stuff for cheaper than most of these shot timers?

i need to get one myself but i keep holding off trying to find a used one someone doesn't want anymore

Reactions: Airw4ves
The AMG Labs timer is awesome. Great tool for dryfire. And if your matches are set up for electronic scoring, it can bluetooth the times straight to the scoring ipad.

Agree. I have one and it's a great timer if you're using practiscore. The only downside is it's not backlit.

can we talk about why shot timers are so expensive? it's a box that beeps that tracks a noise.

how come i can buy a smart watch/fitbit that does all kinds of wild stuff for cheaper than most of these shot timers?

i need to get one myself but i keep holding off trying to find a used one someone doesn't want anymore

This.

I just bought a CED because I found one used. But still, why in gods name are these things well over a hundred dollars, and feel like they’re made for the dollar store. For the price they charge, I expect solid plastic build, readable buttons that have solid click, and at very least a belt clip, lanyard, and rubber case included. Imo all the Regular ones on the market feel like a childs toy from the dollar store.

Also, the rubber case for the CED is really not an optional item. I feel it would last one fall from a pocket before it shattered.

If Id have known about the AMG Id have jumped on that.

Last edited:
I don't think the AMG offers a 'countdown' or 'par' option.
Like this?
Screenshot_20200401-193133_Chrome.jpg

I've also been looking at shot timers lately. So far I like what the AMG offers.

Like this?
View attachment 7287938

I've also been looking at shot timers lately. So far I like what the AMG offers.

I'm getting the AMG. when I get more money.

@hookedonbrass, pm me if you want to take a chance for cheap on a CED that doesn't power up at present. If you're inclined to take stuff apart, and it still works after you do, might be a way for you to get into a mediocre shot timer for postage.

S/F and God bless America

Seen the PP2 pick up surpassed 556 indoors. Still waiting to try the CED, but I expect it to using it in the basement - picking up the slide drop on pistol.

We bought 6 CED's about 5 years ago for our range. They get passed around and used for all sorts of matches.

Haven't lost one yet. Battery life is all day (12+hours).

Reactions: 308pirate
Just ordered the AMG. WIll report back on how long it takes to fill backorder. Says 1-2 months. Was between this or the CED7000 and the external AAA bateries was deciding factor.

Regards
DT

Just ordered the AMG. WIll report back on how long it takes to fill backorder. Says 1-2 months. Was between this or the CED7000 and the external AAA bateries was deciding factor.

Regards
DT
Me too, used one at a pistol match the other day and really liked it.

Jeff

Regards
DT

They are/were running behind 3 months to get mine, just got it a few weeks ago. It is nice and works great however.

Last edited: