• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shotgun Sling?

WTF-2-EDC

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2024
So. CA
Got a new Rem 870 tactical shotgun from Vang Comp for HD and getting training (which is a 5hr course) and unsure if a sling is a good idea or crap I don't really need. Perhaps there is a specific type of sling that is versatile and allows the 12ga to be carried in a variety of ways? I may carry this when fishing/hiking in bear territory (with or without a backpack or hip pack). Is a sling on a shotgun dumb? If not, is there a design that allows for multiple carry options? Perhaps something with a quick disconnect? It has a MAGPUL stock & 18" barrel. Currently using 00 buck & slugs exclusively. Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice. Never really been a "shotgun guy" but am no stranger to firearms, I carry every day.

8 vs 9 pellet 00Buck.jpg

Patterning with 8 (top) & 9 pellet (bottom) Fed LE 00 buck with FLITECONTROL wad to 20 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milf Dots
I took a shotty class and I think we all had regular hunting style slings. We slung them African carry style and were taught to present them from there.

I've taken defensive shotgun training classes, and tactical slings were required for the courses because they teach sling techniques for shotgun, similar to that of carbines and precision rifles.

A padded sling like a Vickers Blue Force Gear or Viking Tactics will really make the shotgun feel lighter on a hot day.

I use PB QD swivels so I can remove the sling instantly if need be.

This is just a random pic off the 'net:

1714014003967.png

Last edited:
Reactions: FWoo45
I'd have thought a sling on a shotgun was no different than any other firearm.

A decent 2 point sling that attaches with QD mounts to the side of the shotgun would be my preference.
If you only have old school sling swivels then it's going to be considerably less useful.

Reactions: davidb187
These are no longer made, but we're USMC issue at one time, or so I was told. I bought mine at a class I attended a couple years ago.
You may be able to find one one ebay. I think a MS3 Magpul sling will work well too.

Esstac 6 or 7 round velcro shotgun cards are a great addition, and fit in an AR size mag carrier.

Attachments

• 20240425_060004.jpg
    20240425_060004.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 19
My VC has a plate for Velcro 6-shell ammo cards...I am advised that I need a sling for self-defense training involving tactical transition from shotgun to sidearm. A QD option is preferred.

vcammocard.jpg

My VC has a plate for Velcro 6-shell ammo cards...I am advised that I need a sling for self-defense training involving tactical transition from shotgun to sidearm. A QD option is preferred.

View attachment 8404632

Does your shotgun have any QD sling swivel cups/sockets? Post pics of the gun from end to end both sides.

This is wha the PB QD swivels look like:

1714069685812.png

This is an example of a surface mount swivel cup (you may have 1 or 2 flush or semi-flush cups/mounts/sockets already on the shotgun):
1714069759008.png

Last edited:
You might want to call Vang Comp and ask them what sling mounts are on your model. If you're left handed that should be mentioned because not all guns are set up with sling attachment points for lefties.

Say what you want about Larry, but I like his slings. The padded Blue Force Gear ones. Have em on a couple of carbines, an old Wingmaster currently sporting Magpul furniture, and my M4.

Not really related but avoid aluminum shells for shotgun courses. I got mine hot enough they were swelling in the chamber and I had to mortar them out.

REM870VC2.jpg

REM860VC1.jpg

The MAGPUL stock is compatible for QD:

Got this response from VC:
Yessir that’s a plug for the QD Type 1 from Magpul:
https://magpul.com/sling-mount-kit-type-1.html?mp_global_color=118
Then you can pop out the other side plug and make it an ambi QD with the addition of the QD Type 2:
https://magpul.com/sling-mount-kit-type-2.html?mp_global_color=118

For the front, the 077 iisn't ideal for QD yet.
You could add a clamp like this from Magpul which is nice but it’s an extra thing to require tightening and torque setting:
https://magpul.com/forwardslingmount-rem870andmossberg500-590.html?mp_global_color=118

In the near future we will make available our magazine cap (not an extension) that is grooved for our sling interface and then you can use our QD plate for the front.

I'm waiting to hear when the grooved mag cap will be available. It came with an Aimpoint ACRO P-2 RDS but the sight picture was just distracting...that optic had a dismal FOV and was problematic with the red dot turned off. Just too big. While I can appreciate the benefits of an enclosed emitter, I really don't need that for a designated HD gun. My roof doesn't leak. So I pulled it off and went strictly iron, seems better for CQB.

Last edited:
I'm waiting to hear when the grooved mag cap will be available.
If you're talking about the Remington Defense cap that looks like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, the answer is probably never.

You can get one of those hunting style sling swivels for your cap or you can put some cord through the tube/barrel bracket.