• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing shotguns for coyotes

T-Hoe

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Marion, IL
Do any of you coyote hunters have any favorite loads and chokes for your close range yote hunting? I am wanting to try some thicker calling stands this season.I have killed them with 4buck and a full choke in the past. Is the dead coyote ammo and chokes any better than what I use?

Re: shotguns for coyotes

I usually just use my 20 gauge with a full choke and 3buck. It gets the job done when they get close. For the farther shots I usually just use my AR.

The #4 Buck / Full choke combo is pretty hard to beat. You can use buckshot with the Dead Coyote choke too if you need more range out of your setup. The Dead Coyote shells are pretty damn expensive and if you are not required to use lead-free shot (like here in CA), then you dont need to spend the money on it.

I have killed a number of coyotes with everything from steel BB to lead #4 buck and slugs. I do like the dead coyote but have had a few big males run farther than i like after several solid hits.
If i can I use lead #4 buck. My SBE2 patterns the Winchester supreme and Remington express very well .

X2 on #4 Buck full choke combo you can get some distance with them and really does good work up close.

4Buck is what I use in both of my Benelli's. 2 3/4" 12 gauge. The choke wont matter much as that big shot stays pretty tight. Even with a IC choke.

turkey choke (super full I think?) and buck. SHottys nice cause they easy target aquisition. And when you shoot them, they usually ten feet away. Easy to hit so you dont have to worry bout spread of shot.

Good luck,
DT

Thanks for all the input. I too usually stick with my ar in 223ai for the longer stuff. I have a few new spots where I think I will need a shotgun or a shorter ar with a red dot. Is the dead coyote chokes worth the money? I am planning on using my benelli m2 with a full choke.

I ran the carlson dead coyote choke with Hevi Shot dead coyote 3-1/2 T-shot through a 870 ESM last year and thus far this year. I have been very pleased with this combo. Although I had my doubts at first about the advertisement of the choke itself. Yes the shells are high, but they seem to retain more energy further downrange than most others Ive experimented with. ymmv

Colt West. So you think the heavyshot is worth the money? Would it be best if I went with their choke also? Would I be shorting myself by using my benelli with a 18.5 in barrel as compared to using a 26in on a x2? I am trying to keep weight down.

T-Hoe. I dont mind paying for the hevi-shot. Where I am the largest shot I'm able to use is T size. So it works out for me that hevi shot offers that shot size. The only thing that ive shot that comes close to performing as well as the heavy shot it the Remington Wingmaster HD loads. Plated shot. It hits hard if not as hard as the hevi shot. Its just as pricey on top of getting hard to find. So Ive just stuck with the hevi shot. I'll try to get the camera from my buddy in the next few days and get some clips on here of the heavy shot in action. I cant say for sure on the carlson choke tube though. Like I said earlier, i'm using the choke in a Rem 870 Express Super Mag with a 24 inch barrel with fantastic results. I have tried that same choke/load combo in a 28 inch 870 with piss poor results. So its just hard to say. If you were shooting a Rem. I'd be glad to send one of my chokes for you to try before you buy one. I have heard that Carlson will work with you on tube restriction if what you buy in stores doesnt perform for your application.

Colt

Thank you Colt for the info and the offer. I dont like to borrow because every time what ever I borrow breaks. But a nice offer, and thanks again. I would like to see those clips.

Anytime brother. I know exactly what you mean. Anyhow, I'll get my hands on those clips as soon as I can.

Colt