• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship shots going right rifle going left

Dusty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2003
Louisiana
I finally got to shoot my 5r at 300, 400, and 600 yds. The problem is at 100 yds. the group is centered up, but the further out I go the further the groups moves right, about 1-1.5 moa at distances. I am shooting off a bipod with a bean bag in the rear. when I was shooting at 600 sat. we had a right to left wind about 2-4mph and I didn't have to dial any windage on to be centered up on the target. When I go back to 100 it is o dead on again. I have been trying to fine tune my position my shots are breaking clean and my NPA is good, but the rifle is bounces up and goes way left during recoil. I am loading my bipod and dryfiring to check everything before a shot, but it still want track straigt back. I used to shoot service rifle, and had an expert rating always hovering just below master class, but shooting this Rem. 5r from a bipod seems like I am trying to learn to shoot all over again. Any ideas?

Re: shots going right rifle going left

What you're experiencing is masked at short range, it's angular error. It could be a consistently incorrect stockweld producing parallax. It could be recoil divergence, and/or it could be NPA. You can eliminate this, no matter what the source/s of error by perfecting your position, that's to say, making placement of your elbows, cheekweld, grip, butt-to-shoulder, and non-firing hand to the same location points for all shots. Shots will hunker into one hole when you get your position consistent from shot to shot to a molecular level.

Just an idea......Could it be the reticle cant or rifle cant?

I was checking my reticle against the target frames for being level from shot to shot, and the scope was put on using feeler guages to get it squared up with the rail.

I beleive the Horus website has some info on checking to see if your scope is level. I wouldnt always rely on the target frame being plumb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recko555</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an idea......Could it be the reticle cant or rifle cant?</div></div>

If it has something to do with the scope not being squared, a test can be performed by running up the elevation adjustment and, thereafter, shooting at short range to appraise whether windage was taken along for the ride with elevation.

Spin drift will definately show at greater distances while being all but nonexistant close in.

I'm no expert but my guess is your scope is not aligned to track perfectly verticle as you add elevation. I spent a lot of time with my SP getting my tracking perfect. It'll track a perfect straight line from my 200 yard setting thru my 1000 yard setting and stay right on a verticle line.

I don't have a high dollar scope and my turrents weren't level so I had to shoot at the 200 yard setting, set to a much farther target setting, shoot again if not perfectly in line with the lower shot then twist the scope till it tracked right. Even though my crosshairs aren't perfectly verticle and horizontal it tracks perfect and with my bubble on top of the scope it tracks true thru the full range of elevations changes.

I can't say this will solve your problem but at least for me it was the most obvious thing to check and easiest to not have right when the scope was mounted and set up.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spin drift will definately show at greater distances while being all but nonexistant close in. </div></div>

I was having the same problem on three rifles and when my I-Pod ballistic software was updated a while back it incorporated spin drift. I was beginning to think I was crazy, I double and triple checked for cant, parallax ect. and it was just spin drift caused by fast twist barrels. After careful measurements and input, it came out almost perfect. The drift I had was dead on with what the output of the ballistic software.

I got a limbsaver slip on pad to put over the stock butt pad so I could get the LOP longer to fit me. I then taped two grid targets together top and bottom so the grid would be 24" with continuous grid lines. I shot it at 100yds with a 100 yd. zero then started dialing up the yardage up to 24 MOA. at 24moa it was about .5 moa off to the right. I think it may be more of my shooting than equipment. The recoil pad seemed to help it track back smoother without loosing sight picture. When I was using the hard stock pad it seemed like it was pivoting off my collar bone and making the rifle recoil to the left. It still does it some, but I am not losing sight picture as bad.

I have the original problem that the opener stated. Bipod will always hop and the rifle torques to the left. I gave up on the bipod since it blossomed my groups to over an inch but I'd like to be able to go back.

I tried loading but it didn't work so well, which led me to scooting the rifle back and putting a good chunk of weight behind it. No torque, but the hop is the same. I think the torque might be coming from holding the rifle in the shoulder pocket. It's much more comfortable than the collarbone though, and doesn't bother me on the sandbags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a limbsaver slip on pad to put over the stock butt pad so I could get the LOP longer to fit me. I then taped two grid targets together top and bottom so the grid would be 24" with continuous grid lines. I shot it at 100yds with a 100 yd. zero then started dialing up the yardage up to 24 MOA. at 24moa it was about .5 moa off to the right. I think it may be more of my shooting than equipment. The recoil pad seemed to help it track back smoother without loosing sight picture. When I was using the hard stock pad it seemed like it was pivoting off my collar bone and making the rifle recoil to the left. It still does it some, but I am not losing sight picture as bad. </div></div>
So you added length to the rifle and something improved meaning you couldn't have had a perfect natural POA to begin with- that's a good start. If there is any way to add weight to the stock, that may be your next best move. Having a good instructor taking a look at your position may be worth the investment too.