• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Should be the right screw

RSWORDS

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
I just swapped over to a BDL set-up and ordered the front screw from Midway. It says it is a 1-1/4" screw but all I can get is one turn engagement into the receiver.... What am I missing? The bottom metal is flush, the receiver is set all the way into the stock (hogue).

Do I need a different screw? What am I missing?

Re: Should be the right screw

The stock is factory, Could it be out of spec? I figured I would need a longer screw I just want to make sure i don't have a problem.

Any source for a longer screw?

Here's a thread for DIY:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2872752

Same problem ^. About halfway down an explanation on how to clean thread by placing a nut on thread prior to cut off. Been doing the same for years when cutting screws and small bolts.

IIRC, Chad Dixon (hide sponsor "C. Dixon" LongRifles, Inc) has hex screws he has specially made with a deeper hex broached in the head.

Kevin

Good enough. I have no problem putting another screw in it. I'm sure I have one in the shop. I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess something up with the stock.

Check to make sure that the mag box is seated correctly. I always have a slight issue with that whenever I pull my action from the stock.