• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should have researched first.......IMR4350 and 30-06

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Jumped on the Powder Valley free haz mat offer last night and bought some new powder for 30-06 bolt guns.

I usually load 30-06 with my Garand in mind and stick with I4064 or I4895.

I had a Pre 64 Wnchester Model 70 with Douglas barrel made up and Im willing to move on from the Garand safe powders to something better suited for bolt guns - My springfield 03s and my Model 70.

I have an old, old, old souvenir box of Frankford Arsenal match ammo loading a 173 grain BT over I4350.

I have seen other posts proclaiming I4350 as good for 30-06.

I did a quick check of my loading books and saw I4350 should give me good 30-06 case fill compared to what Im used to. Velocities will be right around 2600 where I expect I should find a good load for the 175 SMKs I intend to use.

I quickly hit Buy on my cart containing 8 pounds of I4350 and a case of L rifle primers thinking "Yeah I saved $29!"

Will I find total spiritual peace and will women find me more attractive when I work with this powder?

Yes. Either IMR or Hodgdon 4350 are the perfect match for that combo.

Reactions: pmclaine
    IMR4350 will work well. I prefer H4350 simply because I've had better luck with it. A 165gr ballistic tip over 58grs of H4350 has been my deer load for over 20 years. Through half a dozen rifles that load has always shot very well.

Reactions: startrek
    IMR4350 will work well. I prefer H4350 simply because I've had better luck with it. A 165gr ballistic tip over 58grs of H4350 has been my deer load for over 20 years. Through half a dozen rifles that load has always shot very well.

Thank you. Good to hear I spent my money well.

I tend toward paper punching or pinging steel so if its your powder for killing it should work for my desire to look competent on the range.

Reactions: cornhusker86
    IMR4350 WW brass and 200gr SMK was the wining-ist load in 1000 yard 300 win mag for a long time.
    held the outright group for a bunch of years when the 30 cals were supreme
    i pretty much stopped reloading 300 win mag over the past few years (just dont shoot over 1200 much at all with the kids around/getting older).

i think i have 7-8 1 pound jars unopened, if you want it i can give it to you for a steal.

PM me.

Reactions: Bender
    But my 168s stop mid flight and crash to earth at exactly 765 yards everytime I shoot them.
    Boy...shut yo mouf!! :censored::LOL:

I have three 30-06's presently, and have loaded for about a dozen or so more. In my experience you will find a load somewhere between 56 and 57 grains with a 175.

Boy...shut yo mouf!! :censored::LOL:

I have three 30-06's presently, and have loaded for about a dozen or so more. In my experience you will find a load somewhere between 56 and 57 grains with a 175.

If I remember right thats nearing max or compressed, whats MV like?

100% but not compressed. Definitely a modern pressure load, probably about 57K or 59K PSI. I'm getting 2730 or so from a 22" barrel. It is easy enough on brass that I'm still getting 5+ firings out of Federal brass.

100% but not compressed. Definitely a modern pressure load, probably about 57K or 59K PSI. I'm getting 2730 or so from a 22" barrel. It is easy enough on brass that I'm still getting 5+ firings out of Federal brass.

My barrels are 24 inch...

Im thinking 2650 or so will be a good velocity and I may use a little less powder than you.

Looking forward to playing.

Ive played with a few powders for my custom built '06. I keep coming back to 4350 and 4451. Nothing that i have tried is as accurate.

Reactions: pmclaine
    Just don't try to put those Winchester primers in Federal brass. Winchester has the smallest diameter primers and Federal has the largest primer pockets. I have a bolt face that looks like a moonscape due to that combination.

Just don't try to put those Winchester primers in Federal brass. Winchester has the smallest diameter primers and Federal has the largest primer pockets. I have a bolt face that looks like a moonscape due to that combination.

Interesting.

That I did not know.

And I do have a rifle that has an issue with flaring around the primer, most favorite rifle of course.

Im running H4831sc behind a berger 200.20x in my ‘06... 58.5gr pits me about 2760-2780.

I do have a pound of imr4451 to try but since im shooting 200gr bullets i feel like im better off with the slower stuff.

"Flaring" around the primer?

Hot jets of gas leaving a nice burn on the face of what was a freshly finished bolt face.

I wasnt sure what the hell was up with it because in additiion to blown primers (not thrown) I would get brass sticking in the chamber and I was firing loads in the 42 grains of IMR 4064 range that fire fine in my M40 and M40A1

Maybe its the combination of tight chamber and small win primers in that rifle.

I had to go down to like 39 grains of 4064 to not have brass stick in the chamber and still it blew through a primer so now all I only shoot in that rifle is factory FGMM 175.

Which creates lots of 1X brass I use in my other .308s (LMT, M40, M40A1).

Usually I load WCC 13 I have but this time Im doing mostly 1X FGMM Ill have to follow what happens.

Reactions: spife7980
    I have achieved peace amd tranquility in my 06 with I4895 and 175’s
    But of course others mileage may vary

Ill be using that in my Garand, 46.5 +/- and want to try some in my .308s, 42 +/-

Their primers don’t work with their brass either, I ruined a bolt on a low pressure load. I won’t touch Winchester primers, only CCI or Remington.

Their primers don’t work with their brass either, I ruined a bolt on a low pressure load. I won’t touch Winchester primers, only CCI or Remington.
    They actually work pretty well in LC brass as long as they aren't higher pressure loads.

Ive loaded thousands of rounds with them in 30-06 (4895/4064 in 46 grn range/168) never an issue. Brass has been KA - a Korean mil brass.

Only had issues with them in one .308 unsure on brass.

Loaded up some FC 1X with a range of 42/4064 this week , no problem. Will be shooting more this weekend Ill monitor.

Im not against changing. Would have went with Fed GM primers if they were available.

Only attraction to Win has been 100% reliable in a Dillon progressive.

Only bad I heard was a period during "The Great Panic" 7 or so years ago when people were getting pierced primers. My last lot was from about that time period and I suspected the problems I had might have been related.

Ok, glad I saw this!
    I just started to reload some FGMM brass from my .308 and I have Winchester primers... I primed up some cases last weekend and did notice they went in a bit easier than my Nosler brass.
    What brand do you recommend I use?

Ok, glad I saw this!
    I just started to reload some FGMM brass from my .308 and I have Winchester primers... I primed up some cases last weekend and did notice they went in a bit easier than my Nosler brass.
    What brand do you recommend I use?
    For Federal brass I only use Federal or CCI primers. I haven't tried S&B or any of the Russian stuff.

Reactions: deltawiskey

Im thinking of giving up reloading.

Ive had little experience loading Federal brass but I had heard guys speak of soft brass.

I have a shit ton of the stuff and figure fine if I can get two or three loads out of it who cares. Toss it before it needs annealing on the third load.

My previous Win Large Rifle primer leaks were with WCC 13 brass in one tight chambered gun.

The limited use of WLRP/FGMM brass didnt exhibit any problems.

Now that Im loading a batch all with WLRP/FGMM Im seeing primer leaks.

Had one leak on my M40A1 and "weld" the ejector into the face (fixed now, serviceable, with a divot in the bolt face - sucks).

Ill be heading by Cabelas today and see if I can pick up a box of CCI LRPs and give them a try.

Got a whole .30 caliber can of FGMM loaded up for my M40 and now Im fearing that bolt will get cratered if I fire through the can. Hadnt had any problems when developing a load for that rifle, maybe I wont have any going forward -?

Never had a problem with this lot of WLRP and lots of 30-06 mostly KA/LC.

Sucks I have that case of WLRP I guess Im going to dedicate it 30-06. Ill likely break out some once fired crimped brass and go light on the crimp removal to create tight pockets.

Going forward Ill use other than Win primers. They have worked great in pistol. Just need something better in rifle.

wanted to go with Fed Match primers but they dont exist.

Im thinking of giving up reloading.

Ive had little experience loading Federal brass but I had heard guys speak of soft brass.

I have a shit ton of the stuff and figure fine if I can get two or three loads out of it who cares. Toss it before it needs annealing on the third load.

My previous Win Large Rifle primer leaks were with WCC 13 brass in one tight chambered gun.

The limited use of WLRP/FGMM brass didnt exhibit any problems.

Now that Im loading a batch all with WLRP/FGMM Im seeing primer leaks.

Had one leak on my M40A1 and "weld" the ejector into the face (fixed now, serviceable, with a divot in the bolt face - sucks).

Ill be heading by Cabelas today and see if I can pick up a box of CCI LRPs and give them a try.

Got a whole .30 caliber can of FGMM loaded up for my M40 and now Im fearing that bolt will get cratered if I fire through the can. Hadnt had any problems when developing a load for that rifle, maybe I wont have any going forward -?

Never had a problem with this lot of WLRP and lots of 30-06 mostly KA/LC.

Sucks I have that case of WLRP I guess Im going to dedicate it 30-06. Ill likely break out some once fired crimped brass and go light on the crimp removal to create tight pockets.

Going forward Ill use other than Win primers. They have worked great in pistol. Just need something better in rifle.

wanted to go with Fed Match primers but they dont exist.

Winny QC is at a low point. I switched to 210M years ago for bolt guns. Hell, back in the 90's win brass was actually really good.

Winchester primers used to be all I would use.

I have a case of WLRP's myself that I've probably had for 10 years. I'm working through a metric shit ton of FGMM brass at the moment, with another metric shit ton of LC brass behind that. Maybe I'll use them at some point in the LC. The only reason they are still around is because no one wants them and it costs nothing to keep them.

Winny QC is at a low point. I switched to 210M years ago for bolt guns. Hell, back in the 90's win brass was actually really good.

I think the brass is fine.

I think its just a conflict between the two manufacturers spec.

Win makes low end spec primers, Fed makes high end spec primer pockets.

Man I love IMR 4350. Ive used it forever in 6x47, 6.5x55, 7WSM and 300 WM. The internet hates it, but it not only shoots well, you can find it all the time while the fanboys are buyin up the H4350!

Regards
    DT
    IMR 4320 is the forgotten powder. It will do anything Varget and 4064 will do.

Reactions: D_TROS
    1000 CCI 200's in hand.

Anyone have an idea if I should expect more or less velocity compared to Winchester primers?

1000 CCI 200's in hand.

Anyone have an idea if I should expect more or less velocity compared to Winchester primers?
    It will depend on the powder. WLRP have historically been "hotter" but CCI's have had more brisance. I haven't done any testing with IMR4350 between the two.

However, I have determined that magnum primers generally require a 0.3 grain reduction. That would be a good place to start.

It will depend on the powder. WLRP have historically been "hotter" but CCI's have had more brisance. I haven't done any testing with IMR4350 between the two.

However, I have determined that magnum primers generally require a 0.3 grain reduction. That would be a good place to start.

Ive muddied the waters of my own thread.

The Win primers are blowing on my I4064 .308 Win loads under 175 SMK and Fed GMM 1X brass.

For 30-06 Ive got Lapua brass, mil crimp HXP, and LC for brass. Those have been reliable with Win primers.

I do have a bag of 100 plus Fed 30-06 with GMM primers (1X) that I intend to work up a I4350 load with but Ill use the CCI primers for all Fed brass going forward.

Ill redo my last work of 3 loads 43.2, 43.3, 43.4 using the CCI primers with my Magnetospeed and see how it goes.

Reactions: cornhusker86
    Federal has a 20% rebate 4/1 - 6/30 on component purchases over $100.

20% of $157 will cover my hazmat.

Powder Valley ships to my communist hell hole....

Im good on FGMM brass reloading for the foreseeable future....

Order details
    ProductTotal
    Federal #210 Large Rifle Primers (1000) × 5$157.50
    Subtotal:$157.50
    Shipping:$13.95 via Shipping
    Hazmat shipping surcharge:$19.95
    Tax:$0.00
    Payment method:Credit Card (Processed by Vantiv)
    Total:$191.40
    Note:Thank you

Reactions: deltawiskey