• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Should have stayed in bed. . .

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Air compressor locked up first thing this am. Got a new one and have been welding up a castor frame so that we can pull it out to clean around/under the buggers.

Sorry, phones haven't been answered much because of this. Can't do much in this shop without air. . .

I thought this shit only happened on Mondays.
    smile.gif

C.

Re: Should have stayed in bed. . .

One of those days... Ughh!

Yeah it would be expected on a Monday... But on a friday just plain sucks!

I feel for ya

Guess today will be shop cleaning day....

How big of air compressor do you use for your shop?

Kc

All my stuff breaks on Fridays, usually at the end of my day too. Which leads to running around like a mad man trying to get everything up and running again. Nothing like having a break down right in the middle of running a long bead.... UUGGGHHH!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least you have the best job in the world!
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

and make millions doing it!!
    wink.gif

That dog of yours sure looks like he's living the life....
    smile.gif

Makes for a long ass day when that crap happens. Just went thru the same thing. I have two vertical machining centers that have to have air. So no air no machining. No money.Makes me sad. Hope your back up and running Chad.

BEHOLD!

Were fixed! Of all places, the local hardware store had a hell of a sale on compressors. Bought an 80gallon 5hp 2 stage for $900 bucks. This one runs the blast cabinets, paint booth, and general shop air requirements. The 60gallon is for the cnc's. They only use air for tool changes/parts catchers. Not a big consumer.

Another $150 for steel/castors and this biche is mobile! Makes it so much easier now to pull it away from the wall for servicing. Two compressors and the line dryer all in one package. Even clears the door so if I have to pull it out it's now a one man job. High enough now so that a cake pan slides underneath for draining the tanks too. Before it sucked. More water went on the damn floor than in the pan. Being inherently lazy I ground off some of the powder coat on the feet and just zapped em right to the frame. Whiz wheels are faster than ratchets anyway right????
    smile.gif

We had a little goof when welding up the frame for the line dryer. Pressed for time so out came the hacksaw and some expedient welding. Not pretty, but its working and won't fall apart.

Diggin it.

DSC_0132-1.jpg

DSC_0133-1.jpg

Chad, they make auto drain valves that screw in the bottom of the tank where the petcock goes.
    They are 110v and you can set the time and duration they open. so ya plug em in and set em to open every to 2 hours for 3 secs, or whatever u need depending on relative humidity. You simply run a piece of copper tubing thru the wall to the outside, or to a drain. Bout $100 at grainger. Just FYI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mis-guided child2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad, they make auto drain valves that screw in the bottom of the tank where the petcock goes.
    They are 110v and you can set the time and duration they open. so ya plug em in and set em to open every to 2 hours for 3 secs, or whatever u need depending on relative humidity. You simply run a piece of copper tubing thru the wall to the outside, or to a drain. Bout $100 at grainier. Just FYI. </div></div>

Very good for tool longevity.

The dryer/filter conditions air to the machines. Good to go on that part.

Draining the tanks is just a weekly maintenance thing. Monday morning I bleed tanks. Just easier now with it suspended off the floor. Cake pans from Wally World, $1.99/ea!

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope.

Turning into a reserve tank. </div></div>

I just picked up a new 60 gallon today. My 30 gallon can't keep up anymore. I'm going use the tank for a reserve and chuck the POS motor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsaps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Makes for a long ass day when that crap happens. Just went thru the same thing. I have two vertical machining centers that have to have air. So no air no machining. No money.Makes me sad. Hope your back up and running Chad. </div></div>

Yup my mill don't run without air too. too Freaking hard on the endmills.