• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I be pissed??

Knoxville

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2008
MN
I recently purchased a LR308 on Gun Broker after waiting months and my local dealer could not source one. After drooling over the gun for a week I took it to have a scope mounted and bore sighted. My question is this ive attached a pic of the upper where some chips are noticeable...what could this have been caused by? The barrel is spotless and the gun appears to be unfired. Any help is appreciated.
img1939small.jpg

Re: Should I be pissed??

If that bothers you, might I suggest collecting Barbies instead.
grin.gif

Just joking. Seriously, I wouldn't worry a bit if nothing else is wrong. Stuff like that happens to big guns in cardboard boxes.

I think you should forget about how it looks and figure out how it shoots

I would think it may have been proof fired... There will be more marks and hopefully some character added to it along the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you should forget about how it looks and figure out how it shoots </div></div>

+1... Hell you can always "ugly it up" with some rattle cans!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that bothers you, might I suggest collecting Barbies instead.
grin.gif

\ </div></div>

cool.gif

Most manufacturers test fire the weapons (it's only a "proof fire" if it's a high pressure round). If you plan on shooting it, you are going to tear the anodizing off of that area anyway. Drive on.

Sharpie if you like, but I would just concentrate on wearing out a bigger patch with a judicious expenditure of ammo.

You don't want to see what the shell deflector on my M4 looks like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most manufacturers test fire the weapons (it's only a "proof fire" if it's a high pressure round). If you plan on shooting it, you are going to tear the anodizing off of that area anyway. Drive on.

Sharpie if you like, but I would just concentrate on wearing out a bigger patch with a judicious expenditure of ammo.

You don't want to see what the shell deflector on my M4 looks like. </div></div>

Finally an explanation...thanks! Barbies,Sharpies all good info though
wink.gif

Probably from the test fire like stated. That shell deflector will get banged up by brass after your first long outing and you will not be able to tell where that original blemish was. Shell deflectors do their job, and by doing their job they get banged up a bit by brass. Have fun with your new rifle. Don't sweat the small stuff. You shouldn't be pissed, just excited to build a new rig. Good luck and take care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you going to fuck it or shoot it? </div></div>

Hmmm good question.

I've been wondering this too. I've got these gold marks on my brass deflector, and they won't come off. My rifle is spotless otherwise, and it really looks bad in pictures as it doesn't match my foliage green color scheme.

It really keeps me up at night; I think if I can't get them off, I'm going to just have to break down and buy a new upper.

Hey Jeremy, send it to me. I take make the gold marks dissapear.

G

A funky ejection could cause that on a LR-308, but yours does look unfired on the upper. Could have been done in shipping, who really knows. Slap some M-Nu on it and call it a day for now. I'm not sure if DPMS test-fires their products.

I must warn you, if you experience feeding problems and jams with the LR-308, you're in good company. Nearly every LR-308 owner has expressed the same symptoms to DPMS on their own forum...some of us have been shunned by their admin for calling them out on the issue, but that's another story.

FYI: DPMS is fully aware that a bad batch of DPMS 308 magazines has gone out...and it seems to be a large batch of mags. They claim to have corrected the problem and are requesting that if you experience problems that you send them the bad mags in exchange for the new ones. And it's very likely that you will have problems. If you experience the problems post-exchange, they will likely ask you to send in the rifle, possibly at their expense.

The mag problem: the feed lips are too shallow and do not allow the rounds to feed to the ramps properly. The rounds will impact the lower receiver just below the feed ramps on the flat of the receiver and will leave distinct marks as a result. When they jam, they'll dent the casings in several locations and possibly tear the brass from the rim forward.

I also have a LR-308 and with my 14 years military service I'm pretty familiar with AR platforms. I've personally tested 3 other manufacturer's mags and had the exact same problem, which should tell anyone (even without an engineering degree) that the source of the problem isn't the magazine. Magpul's LR-308 mags come out in November, so we'll see what happens with those.

2 things I cannot stand...manufacturers that bury their quality control failures and big business treating their customers like they are know-nothing simpletons.

If your crying about that hairline scratch now.... put about 500 rounds thru it then tell us how you feel. I have the number of a good therapist if you need him. Get over it and go shoot it. Its not a beauty pageant contestant its a tool to get a job done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Hon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My rifle is spotless otherwise, and it really looks bad in pictures as it doesn't match my foliage green color scheme.

It really keeps me up at night; I think if I can't get them off, I'm going to just have to break down and buy a new upper. </div></div>

You are shitting me correct? Do you have a business that makes money with photos of pristine foliage green safe jewelry? If not please reference the second line in my signature.....

I have a LR I recently purchased unfired and got it home and after sighting in and all I have a few nicks but my coating seems very soft compared to the coating on my AR from DPMS. I'm just going to wait for mine to get bad then duracoat it. Other than that expect a gun to nicked up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knoxville</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased a LR308 on Gun Broker after waiting months and my local dealer could not source one. After drooling over the gun for a week I took it to have a scope mounted and bore sighted. My question is this ive attached a pic of the upper where some chips are noticeable...what could this have been caused by? The barrel is spotless and the gun appears to be unfired. Any help is appreciated.
img1939small.jpg
</div></div>

Let me take it to the comp this weekend or through a class.

You purchased a tool......dont act like a tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You purchased a tool......dont act like a tool. </div></div>

Well put Hugh, see you this weekend.
I can show you where my M1 sling's keeper has rubbed on my McM A5 that I've been losing sleep over
wink.gif

The Cerakote on my barrel is peeling in a round spot just ahead of the action.

No: Really, it is.

But now I'm worried.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Cerakote on my barrel is peeling in a round spot just ahead of the action.

No: Really, it is.

But now I'm worried.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Heck, I keep getting black stuff I can't seem to get 100% off of my beatufully recessed muzzle......

Rough crowd.....
grin.gif

I think most remember buying there first piece of expensive gear and sweating it....
at least I did with my first USO....
like all things, we grow out of it...
wink.gif

as stated before, it is a tool, and should be used as such.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think most remember buying there first piece of expensive gear and sweating it....
at least I did with my first USO....</div></div>

You haven't seem my rifle have you?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
at least I did with my first USO....</div></div>

You haven't seem my rifle have you?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Only in those pics you posted.....
looked well used.....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you going to fuck it or shoot it? </div></div>

+1 throw it in the dirt and get on with it! You wasted moments of your life taking the picture and starting this thread.

all you guys are telling me that if you just received a bran new custom rifle and the finish was scratched down to the metal, you wouldn't give a rats ass? would you be happy if you bought a new car and when you took delivery there was a ding in the door? after all, it is a car and will eventually get dings in the doors, right? you don't want to be the one who has the choice of marking up or not marking up your purchases? yes, all my rifles get used and do end up with scratches and marks. no, i don't go out and beat the fuck out of them just to show how hard core i am on the internet. if i had the choice of buying an upper receiver with chipped anodizing and one without chipped anodizing, i know which one i would pick.

from the picture, it looks like a bad spot in the anodizing. it doesn't look used to me as i don't see any way for a shell to hit in that corner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all you guys are telling me that if you just received a bran new custom rifle and the finish was scratched down to the metal, you wouldn't give a rats ass?...</div></div>No. He's talking about a second hand purchase, not a brand new custom rifle.

What I'm saying, in order of my posts above, is:

1. If the rifle shoots well, be happy.

2. If you choose to dwell on the small things they will become big things.

3. Never be upset when you are fortunate enough to wear a product by doing with it what it was designed to do.

You hearby win the OCD award for the month.

If something that trivial upsets you, then you really need to get a life. I agree there are times you should care about the finish, but that mark isnt one of them. Go put 100 rounds through the rifle. More than likely the brass dings will cover it up.

I woudl consider the piece to be pre-disastered, in the style and manner favored in <span style="font-style: italic">The World According to Garp</span>

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
from the picture, it looks like a bad spot in the anodizing. it doesn't look used to me as i don't see any way for a shell to hit in that corner. </div></div>

that is the spot where the brass is ejecting and hitting it from being test fired that's it if he is worried about that go get some electric tape an put a piece on it then it will be black and he wont have to worry about the anodizing getting chipped further I have the same spot on my dpms 308 just shoot the fucker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a pic of my leathers. Should I be pissed?
Leathers.jpg
</div></div>

Who cares about the leathers- what does the bike look like???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares about the leathers- what does the bike look like???</div></div>LOL.
Who cares about the bike?
When you're as ugly as I am there's not much that can make me look worse.
laugh.gif

And I'd say the same for AR's!
grin.gif

I agree with many others on this one, who cares about a couple scratches, if it shoots great then thats all that matters. Now if it was all scratched up and shot like shit then I WOULD BE PISSED. Send a few hundred rounds through it bang it up some more and you will forget about that one scratch.

Dude (Hide or Die), why don't you just go ahead and fuck off? It appears that your whole reason for being here is to bash one company (both of your posts are bashing DPMS). We don't need that here, if you have an axe to grind, stay on AR15.

I hapen to have a DPMS LR-308 and it runs flawlessly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hide or Die</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A funky ejection could cause that on a LR-308, but yours does look unfired on the upper. Could have been done in shipping, who really knows. Slap some M-Nu on it and call it a day for now. I'm not sure if DPMS test-fires their products.

I must warn you, if you experience feeding problems and jams with the LR-308, you're in good company. Nearly every LR-308 owner has expressed the same symptoms to DPMS on their own forum...some of us have been shunned by their admin for calling them out on the issue, but that's another story.

FYI: DPMS is fully aware that a bad batch of DPMS 308 magazines has gone out...and it seems to be a large batch of mags. They claim to have corrected the problem and are requesting that if you experience problems that you send them the bad mags in exchange for the new ones. And it's very likely that you will have problems. If you experience the problems post-exchange, they will likely ask you to send in the rifle, possibly at their expense.

The mag problem: the feed lips are too shallow and do not allow the rounds to feed to the ramps properly. The rounds will impact the lower receiver just below the feed ramps on the flat of the receiver and will leave distinct marks as a result. When they jam, they'll dent the casings in several locations and possibly tear the brass from the rim forward.

I also have a LR-308 and with my 14 years military service I'm pretty familiar with AR platforms. I've personally tested 3 other manufacturer's mags and had the exact same problem, which should tell anyone (even without an engineering degree) that the source of the problem isn't the magazine. Magpul's LR-308 mags come out in November, so we'll see what happens with those.

2 things I cannot stand...manufacturers that bury their quality control failures and big business treating their customers like they are know-nothing simpletons. </div></div>

Its a hard call. A 1/4" chip on a fire arm to possibly be a closet queen. Who knows. Remember a poor workman blames his tools. I guess that scratch will prevent him from the 1k shots at less then a minute. He will only his tools to blame.

I noticed that too, his first two posts are basically the same. Sounds like he is just looking for something to bitch about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude (Hide or Die), why don't you just go ahead and fuck off? It appears that your whole reason for being here is to bash one company (both of your posts are bashing DPMS). We don't need that here, if you have an axe to grind, stay on AR15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hide or Die</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A funky ejection could cause that on a LR-308, but yours does look unfired on the upper. Could have been done in shipping, who really knows. Slap some M-Nu on it and call it a day for now. I'm not sure if DPMS test-fires their products.

2 things I cannot stand...manufacturers that bury their quality control failures and big business treating their customers like they are know-nothing simpletons. </div></div> </div></div>

Why does there always have to be an ass-hat in every group?

gugubica, read my entire posts and not just what YOU want to bitch about. You'll find that I informed the OP of the mag problem that DPMS is aware of and provided useful information that there is an exchange in-process on these. I also commented that the LR had impressive accuracy for the AR platform base and that if the OP could hold out for the feedback on the LR mag exchange, to do so.

It's not my fault you were one of the lucky few that has yet to experience a problem with your LR. Could be that you received yours recent enough to get the newer mags, it's still fairly new and hasn't seen much ammo, or even that it's a safe-queen. So be warned, the problem with the LR-308 feeding issue does exist, DPMS is aware of it, and steps are being taken to resolve the issue; so if you specifically experience this problem later you'll have ME to thank for providing the information so you don't have to troubleshoot as much....your lucky functioning LR may run out of time and have the same symptoms as the rest of us.

You're obviously the kind of person that doesn't read everything (like a few Democrats on the Hill) and just uses specific selections to "snipe" others that you disagree with. I took the time to embolden the important and constructive information that your obviously overlooked. Please retain the information for your own benefit, because you never know when it may become handy.

So please, save the rest of the board the hassle of reading your obviously biased opinions and failure to state any kind of fact or contribute in a constructive manner. Do us all a favor and do exactly what my screen name suggests.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude (Hide or Die), why don't you just go ahead and fuck off? It appears that your whole reason for being here is to bash one company (both of your posts are bashing DPMS). We don't need that here, if you have an axe to grind, stay on AR15.

FYI: <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">DPMS is fully aware that a bad batch of DPMS 308 magazines has gone out...and it seems to be a large batch of mags. They claim to have corrected the problem and are requesting that if you experience problems that you send them the bad mags in exchange for the new ones.</span></span> And it's very likely that you will have problems. If you experience the problems post-exchange, they will likely ask you to send in the rifle, possibly at their expense.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">The mag problem: the feed lips are too shallow and do not allow the rounds to feed to the ramps properly. The rounds will impact the lower receiver just below the feed ramps on the flat of the receiver and will leave distinct marks as a result. When they jam, they'll dent the casings in several locations and possibly tear the brass from the rim forward.</span></span>

2 things I cannot stand...manufacturers that bury their quality control failures and big business treating their customers like they are know-nothing simpletons. </div></div> </div></div>

What the hell do you think its going to look like after a couple thousand rounds thru it?

Or better yet everytime you shoot 1 round take a rag and wipe off the brass deflector!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knoxville</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased a LR308 on Gun Broker after waiting months My question is this ive attached a pic of the upper where some chips are noticeable...what could this have been caused by? The barrel is spotless and the gun appears to be unfired. Any help is appreciated.
img1939small.jpg
</div></div>

Knoxville,

don't listen to these internet tough guys. I think you are only being reasonable in worying about the chips on your upper. They might actually grow in size. Clearly it has reduced the resale value of the gun. It will probably be the first thing everyone who handles the rifle will notice.

Many times something like that can distract you everytime you shoot the rifle causing you to flinch and miss your target.

I have a hair blow dryer that I bought on line new and it came with a scratch on it. Everytime I use it to style my mullet I never get the 70's porn star look that I need to give me the confidence with the ladies.

I would sell the rifle immediatley without shooting it and purchase lipstick.

I hear where you are coming from. I am meticulous about trying to keep my equipment looking perfectly new, but it is just not always realistic. If you really plan on shooting that gun any, I would not worry about it, mostly because of where it is at. You are bound to eventually get some dings in that area just as a result of brass hitting the area when it ejects.