• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I buy it: Rem 700 SPS tact 308 20"

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
My local pawn guy has on his rack a Rem 700 SPS tactical in 308. 20" barrel, 12 twist, with scope (nikon prostaff 3-9 bdc or something like that). He told me $450 plus background and its mine. Bolt face shows light use, would estimate under 100 rounds. PO sold it cuz it would not group under an inch. Has POS stock on it.

Here is my dilemma: I have one rifle off with Chad Dixon getting built, but not expecting it till January (308, M24 contour, 22" threaded, PTG bolt, pinned lug, the works by Chad), and I have access to my sons 308 (that used to be mine) if I want to shoot 308.

I have a stock inletted for CDi BM (and the bottom metal), so I could bolt the action in the stock, throw my NF scope on it, and have my own rifle to shoot for 6-8 weeks till Chad is done making my wallet lighter.
grin.gif

My problem lies here: what would I do with it after I get my 308 from Chad? I won't have a stock (except el crappo hogue), and how many 308's does a guy need? I supposed I could sell it and make someone else happy...

Dilemma. Thanks.

Re: Should I buy it: Rem 700 SPS tact 308 20"

I'd be hard pressed to buy it if I didn't have a use for it especially if I had access to something else to shoot. Buy more ammo for the good gun! I do however love my SPS Tac AAC-SD.

Good price, you could probably make a $100 reselling it easily.

What kind of rings and base does it have?

Decision is final.
2011-11-18_23-26-13_68.jpg

The rifle has a purpose. Will be a backup rifle, a loaner, or a handier tactical rifle for my dad. I will be looking for a new stock for it, kind of like what's on it. Or, maybe I will find a Manners with MCST for my tactical rifle....hhhmmm...

Will see how it shoots tomorrow. Has 20moa base and NF 3.5-15. Adjusted the trigger down from the 20lbs it left with from the factory. Guess the warranty is void!
grin.gif

Oh, uh, disregard the bottle brandy behind the rifle. Was making stew for tomorrow! (Situational awareness is lacking at this moment).

I've a friend who shoots SPS tactical, 20", and it shoots great. He's replaced the stock with H-S precision, Timney trigger, has done extensive load developent and has a Vortex Razor on top.
He's been waiting on a gun build for 11 months but this combo has worked well for him in the mean time.

Very nice set up. I thats a great deal. Let use know how well it shots!

Is a good shooter. If I can remember how to shoot when it is 20 degrees outside and my fingers are cold, should do quite well.
2011-11-19_11-08-19_57.jpg

Missed the "cold bore" shot, missed my 30 pointer, but I think I got everything else.

3 shot group is quite good also.

I got mine as my long range rig earlyer this year. Great little rifle once you upgrade the stock. Mine likes the heavy weight bullets.

is this the rifle you got for 450?
that dont look like a houge stock looks like HS any how nice rigg
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Decision is final.
2011-11-18_23-26-13_68.jpg

The rifle has a purpose. Will be a backup rifle, a loaner, or a handier tactical rifle for my dad. I will be looking for a new stock for it, kind of like what's on it. Or, maybe I will find a Manners with MCST for my tactical rifle....hhhmmm...

Will see how it shoots tomorrow. Has 20moa base and NF 3.5-15. Adjusted the trigger down from the 20lbs it left with from the factory. Guess the warranty is void!
grin.gif
</div></div>

It's all in the first post

The SPS tactical is just one damn nice production rifle. Too bad about the houge stock though. What a huge mistake remington made going with this stock. I used it once at the range ...... came home and ordered a B&C Tactical Medalist.

Yep, this is a good shooting rifle for sure. Shoots dang good in a decent stock. I would recommend these to anyone looking to start shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My local pawn guy has on his rack a Rem 700 SPS tactical in 308. 20" barrel, 12 twist, with scope (nikon prostaff 3-9 bdc or something like that). He told me $450 plus background and its mine. Bolt face shows light use, would estimate under 100 rounds. PO sold it cuz it would not group under an inch. Has POS stock on it.

Here is my dilemma: I have one rifle off with Chad Dixon getting built, but not expecting it till January (308, M24 contour, 22" threaded, PTG bolt, pinned lug, the works by Chad), and I have access to my sons 308 (that used to be mine) if I want to shoot 308.

I have a stock inletted for CDi BM (and the bottom metal), so I could bolt the action in the stock, throw my NF scope on it, and have my own rifle to shoot for 6-8 weeks till Chad is done making my wallet lighter.
grin.gif

My problem lies here: what would I do with it after I get my 308 from Chad? I won't have a stock (except el crappo hogue), and how many 308's does a guy need? I supposed I could sell it and make someone else happy...

Dilemma. Thanks.</div></div>
Pretty dang good deal. id flip it. Id save up and get a sako trg 22 though if I would do it again. Ive fully rebuilt a sps tactical and wish I went that route instead. Take the hit once and deal with it instead of taking it 5x upgrading ur current rifle.

Yes its an amazing rifle for the price, I would only recommend changing out the stock.