• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Should I call the ATF about my suppressor wait time?

I think that's an old wives tale, or someone just had some weird shit-luck of the draw that worked out that way. LOL

I've called 3 times after the 3 month mark, didn't even both this past week. Figured WTF...They'll get approved when they get approved at this point. 🙄

No, it does nothing. People who answer the phone do only that. Wait time right now is down to fiveish months for individuals, just keep waiting.

Edit to add that I call once after a few weeks to make sure it's pending. Then I'll call again at the end of the current waiting time just to see if I'm approved or still waiting. Then maybe after that l just call bi-weekly. My last stamp I didn't ever make my second call, the LGS called me with my stamp telling me to come get my shit. Stamps take forever as well to get delivered. Generally 10-14 days, but have heard as much as a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocMcCoy
Heard that if you call them after 3 months then it might help your chances to speed things up. Is this true?
The short answer is no. If you get approval and stamp under 9 months you should be happy. Some have had to wait 13 months to get a Form 4 approved. After 10 months you should consider calling.

Reactions: TACC
If you haven't called at least once, doesn't hurt. Just have your cans serial number and place it is being held at ready. They will ask for that as well as your name. Then call again at the end of your five month wait if you like.

You aren't stopping anybody from doing work, as these people just answer the phone. Hell it could be a duty rotation.
"You have to work the phone today Steve with Jennifer."
"I don't want to work the phone Bob, I traded places with Carlos two days ago!"
And why are all fictitious bosses named Bob?

No, it doesn't help. Don't even become concerned until you're a year in. It took me 6 months to get a form 1 approved and it was only taking 3 weeks last year.

Reactions: TACC
If you haven't called at least once, doesn't hurt. Just have your cans serial number and place it is being held at ready. They will ask for that as well as your name. Then call again at the end of your five month wait if you like.

You aren't stopping anybody from doing work, as these people just answer the phone. Hell it could be a duty rotation.
I had a meeting with the Bobs today... I told them all about how much I hate doing TPS Reports.

yes you should and give them a piece of your mind while you have them on the phone make sure you tape the conversation and later have video of when they arrive at your house to show you just how little they care about your problems . please share the video please oh god please .:giggle::giggle::giggle:👩‍🦽 and call them every hour on the hour just to make sure they get your message .

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC and uffduh
My best friend sent in a form 4 last spring. He’s a good dude. Unlike me he is patient. Earlier this month he finally called the atf for the first time since submitting his paperwork. His can was approved last October. The stamp never made it through the mail.........

Reactions: TACC and mewillis

I wouldn’t bother calling before 8 months. Be realistic. Our local ATF is “Eddie” and he’s been the same guy for a long time. Happy to answer questions. I agree, have you serial number ready and date of application.

I had this grand theory that there was a stack of Form 4s sitting in a pile, and if I called at 4 months they would have to find mine and it would get approved quicker since it moved to the top. I also had a 2nd Form 4 that was submitted 2 weeks later than the 1st so I was hoping for the infamous "batch approval".

However, after calling and talking to a very worn out and annoyed employee, it was clear to me that there are dedicated people sitting at a computer answering phones all day and looking up your information to relay to you whether the cell in the spreadsheet still says "Pending" or "Approved on X". They are nowhere near your actual Form 4.

Just for stamp in the mail reasons, I 100% believe it's worth calling after 4 months every 30 days so you know when it does get approved. I wasn't real confident that my LGS was going to call me when they received it, so I wanted to know when to expect it there.

I was approved just under the 5 month mark (Trust with 2 responsible parties), and my 2nd Form 4 was approved 2 weeks later (no "batch" approval). Stamps were in the mail for 21 days. I don't think my calling had anything to do with it.

Reactions: Holliday
Thanks guys! First time buyer and just about 4 months in
You should certainly call at least once to make sure everything has been received and processed fine and that you are in a Pending status.

Then at this point say after six months start calling once per month to check on the status. It could have been approved or sent back to dealer with issues and be sitting in their hands without you ever knowing about it or being notified, or the dealer could completely drop the ball.

My best friend sent in a form 4 last spring. He’s a good dude. Unlike me he is patient. Earlier this month he finally called the atf for the first time since submitting his paperwork. His can was approved last October. The stamp never made it through the mail.........
Nothing wrong with calling, I had waited 10 months and finally called and was told approved 2 months prior. Called my dealer who said "oh yeah we have it but didn't have your phone number!!!" such bullshit so total a year because my dealer sat on my can for 2 months. Will never deal with him again, he also lost my check to pay for the transfer. Not too swift...........

Reactions: Holliday
Heard that if you call them after 3 months then it might help your chances to speed things up. Is this true?
I called once.

The girl that answered the phone said "It's in process" right after finding out that I was calling about a suppressor. After her response I asked if she needed my name or trust name or whatever to look it up before giving me an answer. She said 'sure' and like 5 seconds after telling her the name she said "it's in process. Any other questions?"

Within a day of that call (to the ATF) my dealer called and said 'your tax stamp is here' which led me for the third time to conclude that people that answer the phone aren't going to be looking up jack unless they really have to.

It's really sad that we have to pay $200 and wait for an unknown, but substantial amount of time, to simply protect our hearing and the hearing of those around us.

I called once.

The girl that answered the phone said "It's in process" right after finding out that I was calling about a suppressor. After her response I asked if she needed my name or trust name or whatever to look it up before giving me an answer. She said 'sure' and like 5 seconds after telling her the name she said "it's in process. Any other questions?"

Within a day of that call (to the ATF) my dealer called and said 'your tax stamp is here' which led me for the third time to conclude that people that answer the phone aren't going to be looking up jack unless they really have to.

When you call, you have to sound like you are a FFL, not an end-customer.... that means have your "stuff" together

"I'd like the status on a Form 4"
Transferee = "XYZ Trust"
Serial = "ABC-123"

and you'll get the status... If you aren't 110% efficient, you'll get their bs answer... that is my experience. Your call should take < 1 minute once they answer

When you call, you have to sound like you are a FFL, not an end-customer.... that means have your "stuff" together

Transferee = "XYZ Trust"
Serial = "ABC-123"

and you'll get the status... If you aren't 110% efficient, you'll get their bs answer... that is my experience. Your call should take < 1 minute once they answer
Thank you for this.

Transferee = "XYZ Trust"
Serial = "ABC-123"

Yep that's what I did too starting around month 12. They didn't really sound concerned until month 14. I called again on month 15 and I finally had a nice enough agent who escalated it to their supervisor. At around month 16 I finally got my stamp approved for a .22lr suppressor.

• Sad
Reactions: Cypress87
I'm at over 9 months now and have never called. What number are y'all referencing for contacting AFT about it? Thanks.